Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 23, 2011, 08:59 AM   #26
LillieDesigns
macrumors 6502

This guy called the iPad 112 months ago......

MacQuest
112 months ago
From the news report above:

"However he [SJ] does see potential to use small device to drive a TV as the presentation vehicle."

I call "iPad" [tablet device] !!
LillieDesigns is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:00 AM   #27
tarun101
macrumors newbie

The more important thing for iPad 7.8" is will they be able to get the weight substantially down

I have confidence that Apple will get the UX right but the weight on current iPad is a tad too heavy !!
tarun101 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:01 AM   #28
Bearxor
macrumors 6502

If presented with a 9.8" or a 7.85" iPad with a 1024x768 resolution, I'd likely pick the 7.85".

If the 9.8" gets 2048x1536 and the 7.85" stays at 1024x768, I'd opt for the 9.8".
Bearxor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:01 AM   #29
The Great Boony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxtech View Post
Unless they can sell it for $200 (GLWT) it won't be competition for Fire.

Look, sometimes all people need (and WANT) is a book reader than can browse the web and play videos, for a good price. Unless Apple can compete on the price they won't have a chance of competing in that space.
Wake up son, Apple are in a different league to Amazon.
The Great Boony is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:02 AM   #30
mantan
macrumors 6502a

This makes total sense.

I know a lot of people downplayed the idea because Apple didn't release it first, but something a little more portable (for iPad users) and bigger (for iPod Touch) users would be fantastic. If this came out at the right price point (~$249-$299) it would be perfect.
mantan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:03 AM   #31
Rafterman
macrumors 65816

And if Apple can sell that iPad 7 inch for $200 (unlikely), then they can compete with the Kindle Fire. Otherwise, forget it.

Don't get me wrong, the iPad is superior in almost every way. But people aren't buying the Kindle Fire because its superior, they are buying it because its adequate and cheap.

To me personally, the iPad 9 inch size is a laptop replacement, while the iPhone/iPod Touch covers the "small". I'm not sure I see the draw in slightly smaller iPad. Of course, I said I didn't see the draw in a "big iPhone" a few years ago either, when the iPad was announced But still, where does a 7 inch iPad fit in the product line? It seems 5-6 inches almost makes more sense as its closer to the in between of an iPad and iPhone.
Rafterman is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:04 AM   #32
topmounter
macrumors 68000

A larger iPod Touch would make more sense. Just use the retina display to give the same or higher resolution as a ~7-inch device, but in a more compact package that doesn't require special pants to carry.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:04 AM   #33
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Boony View Post
7" tablets are cack, I doubt Apple would make one.
I see. So instead of acknowledging you were wrong, you're just going to say 7" tablets are "cack."

And if Apple makes one then, I assume you'll admit it was "cack" too?
samcraig is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:04 AM   #34
Wickedgardengtp
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitzr View Post
Just the right size. I knew Apple would eventually cave in and do the right thing. Their greed knows no limits.
Greed? Do you forget about Microsoft?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:07 AM   #35
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
I see. So instead of acknowledging you were wrong, you're just going to say 7" tablets are "cack."

No, you don't understand, Apple won't make a 7" tablet because is cack, they will make a 7.85" that is the best thing after the sliced bread.

That 0.85" makes the difference.

And then Google will copy them, you can't count that there are 6", 7", 8", 9" or 10.1" tablets, they will copy it
Oletros is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:08 AM   #36
The Great Boony
Banned

Quote:

Apple wouldn't make one.

So you're wrong.
The Great Boony is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:08 AM   #37
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Apple wouldn't make one.

So you're wrong.
What am I wrong about?
samcraig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:09 AM   #38
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
a 20" tablet? What have you been smoking?
No need to smoke anything. I'd even go as far as a 27"

MacBookAir form factor no hinge and hopefully cool on the bottom to have it on ones lap.

Kind of like a thin Imac without the hinge (Hinge sold separately:-)
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:09 AM   #39
h4ck
macrumors regular

"The rationale behind the smaller form factor is for Apple to better compete against the new 7" Kindle Fire tablet from Amazon."

and here we see why there is zero credibility to this story.

apple doesn't make things to go into an existing market just to compete. you should know that by now.

apple doesn't give a **** about what amazon is selling, as long as what amazon is selling isn't infringing on their copyrights. end of story.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:11 AM   #40
The Great Boony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
No, you don't understand, Apple won't make a 7" tablet because is cack, they will make a 7.85" that is the best thing after the sliced bread.

That 0.85" makes the difference.

And then Google will copy them, you can't count that there are 6", 7", 8", 9" or 10.1" tablets, they will copy it
I see... So there were decent Android tablets before the iPad?

No thought not...

That's because Apple released a great one and everyone else copied, Google rushed out a tweeked version of <Insert stupid OS name here> and that was that.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4ck View Post
"The rationale behind the smaller form factor is for Apple to better compete against the new 7" Kindle Fire tablet from Amazon."

and here we see why there is zero credibility to this story.

apple doesn't make things to go into an existing market just to compete. you should know that by now.

apple doesn't give a **** about what amazon is selling, as long as what amazon is selling isn't infringing on their copyrights. end of story.
A bit of intellect on the forum

Welcome.
The Great Boony is offline   -12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:12 AM   #41
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
I see... So there were decent Android tablets before the iPad?

No thought not...

That's because Apple released a great one and everyone else copied, Google rushed out a tweeked version of <Insert stupid OS name here> and that was that.
You keep confusing OSes and Hardware.
You said that Google would be copying Apple if they made a 7" tablet meanwhile Android is already ON 7" tablets.

Keep flame baiting though - it's going to get MacRumors a nice holiday bonus check from its advertisers for the added clicks..
samcraig is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:12 AM   #42
The Great Boony
Banned

Quote:
What am I wrong about?
Prove that Apple are making a 7" tablet.

Oh, uprating your own posts as soon as you post them is pathetic.
The Great Boony is offline   -17 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:13 AM   #43
qtx43
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyUnderscoreR View Post
Is it just me that wants one in the 15" to 20" range? The current iPad is too small for watching movies, and too similar to my iPhone.
20"is too much, but personally I'd like it a little bigger, 12 to 15" maybe. What I don't get is people telling others: you don't want that!

If Apple sees a market for smaller tablets, I'm sure they'll make them eventually, and hooray for those who like them. I won't get one, and I think bigger is extremely unlikely, but I'm happy with what we've got for now. Just hoping iPad3 is enough of an upgrade for me to justify getting a new one.
qtx43 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:14 AM   #44
The Great Boony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
No need to smoke anything. I'd even go as far as a 27"

MacBookAir form factor no hinge and hopefully cool on the bottom to have it on ones lap.

Kind of like a thin Imac without the hinge (Hinge sold separately:-)
a 27" iPad?

Wow, just wow.

Why don't you got and but an LED TV and carry that about?
The Great Boony is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:14 AM   #45
steve2112
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzzz View Post
I prefer the current size- if I want portability (more portability?) I use my iPhone. Clicking on the "change their mind" link, did someone really post the word "iPad" nearly TEN years ago?
Yeah, that's what I don't get. If only they made a tablet that would, say fit in my pocket or something. That would be great! Oh, wait...I have one called my phone. To me, the iPad is barely big enough as it is. I have tried a couple of 7" type tablets, and they feel too small to me. There's never enough screen real estate for browsing and video for me.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:15 AM   #46
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

Quote:
a 20" tablet? What have you been smoking?
Whatever it is, i want some of it!
Kissaragi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:15 AM   #47
The Great Boony
Banned

Quote:
You keep confusing OSes and Hardware.
You said that Google would be copying Apple if they made a 7" tablet meanwhile Android is already ON 7" tablets.

Keep flame baiting though - it's going to get MacRumors a nice holiday bonus check from its advertisers for the added clicks..
I think you should go for a little sleep and have a think about the things you write.
The Great Boony is offline   -12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:15 AM   #48
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Prove that Apple are making a 7" tablet.

Oh, uprating your own posts as soon as you post them is pathetic.
I don't uprate or downrate. But feel free to keep denying facts and creating fiction.

I never said Apple was making a 7" tablet. I said if they made one. So I can't be wrong, now can I?

Last edited by samcraig; Dec 23, 2011 at 09:27 AM.
samcraig is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:16 AM   #49
aaronsullivan
macrumors regular

big and small

SMALLER
Selling our iPad and iPad 2 if a ~8" and Retina full size iPad come simultaneously. Our kids love the iPads and would be fine with the smaller size, while I actually think the text would be MORE readable at that size with the same 1024x768 resolution but smaller area. It won't be retina DPI, but it will be much nicer to stare at than the full size iPad. The Retina display on a 10" is just a dream device to me.

BIGGER
I've wanted a bigger iPad since before the iPad 2. 15" would be pretty incredible. It will be a LONG time before something like that is desirable to many or practical, but it could rock pretty hard for many applications (music and video editing, watching content, drawing and painting, kids books and graphic novels, board games and other group activities, even document editing would start to be much more practical at that size.

What could happen first (in following years) is the MacBook Air could get a multitouch screen along with MacOS X gaining more and more of the sensibly transferrable features from the iPad.
aaronsullivan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:16 AM   #50
feflower
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLS View Post
As others have said I don't see the point if it is not more portable- and unless it fits in your pocket (which means a 5" size) a 7 inch size brings nothing new to the table. I would rather see a higher rez display and less weight.
Yes...
I want more portability than an iPad.
I want something you can hold in one hand comfortably.
I want to thumb type.

But I want a size that you can comfortably read pdfs/books/.
I'm heading for mid-age and reading pdfs on my iPod Touch is frustrating and getting difficult.

The 7" inch is perfect--the size of a paperback (remember those?).

It will fit in a murse/purse/jacket pocket.
I never go out without some kind of bag, so I don't need something that fits in my back pocket.
feflower is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion