Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galaxian

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
Barcelona
I frankly blame Rob Schneider for this.

BUT, I gotta agree, this schedule makes sense. My 3GS and I will kill each other till October.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Does make sense - considering how well adopted the "minor upgrade" that is the 4S was. Apple surely doesn't want to burn all those millions of customers by announcing a new iPhone only a couple of months after the 4S was released would leave quite a sour taste in many mouths.

And I won't feel so outdated when I finally get a 4S as my new work phone in April:D

The opposite also "does make sense." The iPhone 4S update was likely due to be released in SUMMER 2011 but due to late issues with software, mainly iCloud and Siri not being ready it was delayed to fall. The update felt even more "minor" to many because the upgrade cycle was already well past a year. Apple could get back on track with summer releases this year and also prevent what some feel was a minor update in the 4S feeling further outdated next to hardware from various Android manufactures.

That said Apple's sales and dominance give them flexibility to do whatever they want frankly so it comes down to if they feel a fall vs. summer release is appropriate giving the state of A) iOS 6, B) the iPhone 5/6 hardware and C) LTE carrier rollout (this may be significant, Apple wants its users to have WIDE access to LTE before releasing an LTE phone.)

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I would of be surprised if it was a summer lunch but the September Oct launch no so much. Apple can get the holiday sells a lot easier that way.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
We had the same "rumour" last year and look what happened.

Yes, the rumor came true, and the expected timeframe was accurate.

All significant, non-superficial iPhone 5 rumors were true: the timeframe, the better camera, better antenna, 4G speeds (without 4G battery drain), more carriers, voice assistant, faster processor, better graphics, etc. etc....

Meanwhile the years-old iPhone 3G/S design still outsells every Android phone. I think it’s safe to say Apple’s on track here...

xFenixKnightx

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
Awe man!

No mid summer iPhone 5?!!! Stuck with this 3.5 screen. :(

6 things I want in the next iPhone.

- 4"+ "Retina" (yeah I know I know :apple:) Screen
- Shortcuts like these http://www.tech-beats.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Samsung-Galaxy-S2-Notifications-screen.jpeg in Notification Center
- 3rd Party Widgets in Notification Center
- LED notification light in the front. The LED flash option in the back sucks right now. Plain and simple.
- Voice Navigation in Maps, please!
- 4GLTE for Big Red

This shouldn't really be hard to pull off, IMO.

PS

No I don't want to Jailbreak. And no, I don't want an Android phone again, maybe.

Last edited:

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
The only thing that annoys me more than iPhone 5 rumors is calling it the "iPhone 5". That makes no sense

6th iPhone = iPhone 6.

BurchBoy

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2008
iPhone 4S. No iPhone 5.

Let's see...
#1: iPhone
#2: iPhone 3G
#3: iPhone 3GS
#4: iPhone 4
#5: iPhone 4S
#6: iPhone ???

I doubt they will call the 6th iPhone the "iPhone 5." So in essence, we did see the iPhone 5... It is called the 4S :)

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
It would make sense to subdue iPod released and bundle them with the iPhone event in September. iPods might be current, but they are now far behind iPhones and iPads in terms of importance and public fervor.

The iPod line is a trickle-down of tech from the phone and pad, anyway. Their release events have lost all emphasis.

As for Macotakara... has that blog ever been an excellent source of speculative stories? This one is very "so what"-ish.

xFenixKnightx

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
Let's see...
#1: iPhone
#2: iPhone 3G
#3: iPhone 3GS
#4: iPhone 4
#5: iPhone 4S
#6: iPhone ???

I doubt they will call the 6th iPhone the "iPhone 5." So in essence, we did see the iPhone 5... It is called the 4S :)

Ugh.

My opinion? Because I know you want it. ;) For an all new iPhone with a bigger screen and the biggest change in iPhone history...

iPhone

Straight up reboot. I mean iPhone 6 already sounds silly.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
New iPad's in the Spring
New Mac's and new Mac OS in the Summer (great for new students buying new computers before fall classes)
New iPhones and new iOS in the Fall. (great for christmas holidays)

Simple and makes sense. They got their formula all worked out and I see no reason to mess with it in the near future.

That would assume the Mac will come back centre stage again. They seem to have reserved the media events for the iPhone/iPad in the last few years. It would certainly be a welcome change to see new Macs revealed at media events again. Who knows maybe we'll also see new versions of iWork and iLife although I won't hold my breath.

One problem with the Christmas holidays sales logic: Apple seem incapable of launching new iPhones everywhere at once. Not much point buying your Christmas presents in January. Maybe they can solve that issue.

Also, presumably if the new iPhone is the main attraction every Sept/Oct that means the death of the iPod as the star attraction for Christmas sales which is a shame but things move on I guess.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Who honestly thought they would switch back to a summer release for the iPhone?

You'd be surprised how a lot of people are banking on the June release. I have a friend who just finished his contract and mentioned he wants to hold off for the next four months.

In my opinion ANYONE who 'holds off' a minute after their contract is finished is making a big mistake; you are essentially paying $20 extra every month for a phone you already paid for, allowing AT&T to double-dip. I did this mistake with 3Gs and realized I was taken advantage of.

nickpro

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Bay Area
i thought this was obvious? last year's October release was a calculated, permanent move for the iPhone.

and my guess is that Apple will begin calling it just "iPhone" with the sixth release (just like they do with their computer products). Can you seriously imagine an "iPhone 10" in a few years? theres gotta be a point where they do this and i think its gonna be this year.

Pizzaboy13

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2012
Probably what suppliers thought was the iPad 4

Digitimes reported that the iPad 4 would be released in October. They could have been mistaken and that was actually the iPhone 5. After all, their sources for the information were Chinese. :)

GunZi

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2012
man, i can't wait what iOS 6 is going to introduce, i mean they got the Notfication System working ok right now. :D

Just Some of my ideas What i Want in :apple: iOS 6... can't think of more ideas lol, my work here is done

- Siri Improved with additonal Languages and Personality
- iTunes and Videos App get .avi video format support
- Weather Can be seen from Lock Screen
- Notes App Greatly Improved With Rich Texting And More
- Merge iTunes and App Store Apps in iOS Together
- New UI in Music App (Similar Music Controls as in iTunes)
- Camera App now with more Options
- Lock Screen info on iPad is now Greatly Improved
- New UI in Youtube App
- Facetime now Works over 3g
- Bigger Folders on iPad
- App icons can be live (iPad only)
- Facebook Integration in iOS
- Video App now Supports Streaming videos over WiFi From your computer
- in Safari you now only need to Pull to refresh
- You Can now clear all apps running in the background with one tap, but you can clear 1 by 1 like normal
- Option in Settings Lets you Customize the colour of the Siri microphone (just for more options)
- Calendar, Clock, Stocks and Weather Apps are now on the iPad
- Newsstand App can now be put in a Folder (maybe in iOS 5.1 or before 6.0)
- New UI in Settings App, and a New Background
- New Built in Radio App for the iPhone 5 with Local and Multiple Radio Stations.
- New 3D Map Technology Built in Maps App
- Redesigned UI in Weather, Notes, and Stocks Apps
- The Voice of Siri can now be used as Voice Navigation in Maps
- Similar SBSettings Controls in Notification Center
- The Options to Clear Notifications on Lock Screen, not always needed to open Notification Center
- Transfer Files via Bluetooth

Last edited:

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Regardless of when the iPhone 5 ships, you can expect the 4S and possibly the 4 to continue to be sold as the cheaper price point models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.