Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slippyr4

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
OH WTF APPLE WTF!:mad:
My contract ends April 10th and if this september-October time frame for a iPhone 5 which is probably going to look the same with ***** specs and allow google, htc & other phones out do you in more advance technology then I'll just have to say F it and buy a android phone.

I'm always bemused by comments such as this one.

If, by your measure, the iPhone 5 is going to have **** specs, look the same, and be beaten by google, htc and so on, then why don't you just buy an android phone? why all the histrionics? You are the quintessential "fan boy" - you identify that another product is better, but won't buy it because it's not apple.

Not wishing to wind up anyone else on this thread - there's nothing wrong with buying Apple, if by your own metrics you evaluate it to be the best product for your needs.

Pomeless

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
Regardless of what it's to be called, waiting until October sucks! I'm stuck with this god forsaken Droid X (out of contract no less) and having to wait an additional 4 months is torture. I think they should release it NOW so that I can be happy.:mad::D
nelson-haha.gif

jlhandy

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
Los Angeles
I'm pretty sure the iphone 5 will be out in the summer like it use to be. I think the 4s got delay into the fall because they we're trying to get 5 out for Jobs but was unable to finish a production model in time so they let out 4s. Not to mention I don't think they want to core iphone base (the guys who bought iphone 1, 3, 4/ not 2, 3Gs, 4s)

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I'm pretty sure the iphone 5 will be out in the summer like it use to be. I think the 4s got delay into the fall because they we're trying to get 5 out for Jobs but was unable to finish a production model in time so they let out 4s. Not to mention I don't think they want to core iphone base (the guys who bought iphone 1, 3, 4/ not 2, 3Gs, 4s)

Not sure what you're saying there, but it won't be out in the summer, it will be out in the fall. And to think that they are catering to this tiny core of people who bought the original iPhone is silly. They are now a teeny, tiny fraction of the global user base of the iPhone across many different carriers.

jlhandy

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
Los Angeles
Not sure what you're saying there, but it won't be out in the summer, it will be out in the fall. And to think that they are catering to this tiny core of people who bought the original iPhone is silly. They are now a teeny, tiny fraction of the global user base of the iPhone across many different carriers.

It's more than a tiny core, its large from my understanding, I'm part of it, I know a lot more individuals who fit in the "core" group then the others. And Im not saying that they are catering to them, I'm saying they will try and match the original timeline before twhen the iphone 4s got release, this summer is 2 years since the iphone 4 came out, don't you think they'll cater to the costumers who have been sticking with the product since day one maybe? When you think about the users who iphone 4s, 3GS, and 2 they all are late adopter, most likely people who had off years that updated more sporadically then the iphone 1, 3, and 4 users...

I'm also glad you seem to know for sure that it'll be out in the fall, you must got a damn good source! The iphone 5 was being developed side-by-side with the iphone 4s based on articles I read after Steve Jobs had passed away, Im only guessing I never said anything as absolute in the post.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
It's more than a tiny core, its large from my understanding, I'm part of it, I know a lot more individuals who fit in the "core" group then the others. And Im not saying that they are catering to them, I'm saying they will try and match the original timeline before twhen the iphone 4s got release, this summer is 2 years since the iphone 4 came out, don't you think they'll cater to the costumers who have been sticking with the product since day one maybe? When you think about the users who iphone 4s, 3GS, and 2 they all are late adopter, most likely people who had off years that updated more sporadically then the iphone 1, 3, and 4 users...

Where do you get this theory?

Honestly, if we are going to argue that, most people in the US anyways are on 2 year contracts. If most people upgrade when their contract runs out, the people who got the original iPhone probably most upgraded when the 3GS came out as it was 2 years after the first (and then the 4s was two years after that)... Of course my reasoning may be off, but you don't really even post why you think that some how the 4 owners would be the ones who bought the original. Not unless most of them upgraded after a year.

That and it's a silly argument to think Apple holds a small segment of customers special to anyone else. Apple is going to cater to who they consider to be the majority of their customers cause they want to sell the most product possible so they want to appeal to their customers overall rather than to one segment.

jlhandy

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
Los Angeles
Where do you get this theory?

Honestly, if we are going to argue that, most people in the US anyways are on 2 year contracts. If most people upgrade when their contract runs out, the people who got the original iPhone probably most upgraded when the 3GS came out as it was 2 years after the first (and then the 4s was two years after that)... Of course my reasoning may be off, but you don't really even post why you think that some how the 4 owners would be the ones who bought the original. Not unless most of them upgraded after a year.

That and it's a silly argument to think Apple holds a small segment of customers special to anyone else. Apple is going to cater to who they consider to be the majority of their customers cause they want to sell the most product possible so they want to appeal to their customers overall rather than to one segment.

I apologize, you are correct. I had my information twisted, I just double checked the iphone timeline, I seriously thought an iphone 2 came out before iphone 3g.

But why im really replying to you... My theory is based on my interpretations of how iphone works and how I've experience the phones and how people around me have interacted with the phones, and based on discussions I've had with friends about the phone and why it would be sold in the summer like it originally was... This is my theory and my theory alone, just to make that clear again... obviously you proved that the core group idea is wrong b/c of my retard idea of an iphone 2 before 3G... But the group thing wasn't even my main point to the post, which im afford its been turned into...

Also in that last post I mentioned that the iphone 5 was being created by Jobs alongside the 4s. And based on my memory (which, may be wrong, so please correct me if you want) from articles after Jobs passed away, the iphone 5 was in development during the same time the iphone 4s was getting created..
So that is also part of who I made my own theory

What your guess on a release date? summer? fall? never?

Please remember Im just guessing, i've never said anything thinking it's absolute

----------

Not to mention every year except 2011 the iphone has come out in the summer...

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
What your guess on a release date? summer? fall? never?

Never of course :D;).

Nah, I think it's going to be October, makes most sense marketing wise to me why Apple would want to move it then (close to Christmas and all). I know the previous ones were all June but companies can change. Especially since it seems they are focusing less on iPods it gives them something to focus on for that time period near the holidays (and they can use the summer for the macbooks).

Not that I want it to be close to October since my contract was up two days ago ;) (I bought the 4 when it came out). Plus June is right near my bday so I can hit up my parents for bday money to help pay for it (I'm on a tight budget so really I should just be happy with what I've got).

I really don't want to wait for October.

I think we'll know for sure if they don't release a beta version for developers to play with reasonably soon though cause they do seem to release the iOS with the phone and they for obvious reasons let the developers play with it before they actually release it to the public.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut

I'm also glad you seem to know for sure that it'll be out in the fall, you must got a damn good source! The iphone 5 was being developed side-by-side with the iphone 4s based on articles I read after Steve Jobs had passed away, Im only guessing I never said anything as absolute in the post.

There were never enough original iPhones made to make that large of a market.

That's what all the rumors point to, and that's what makes sense. The summer release date makes absolutely no sense.

----------

The OG iPhone also didn't affect upgrade dates because it was unsubsidized.

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
Please Apple Please

If they do nothing else in the iPhone 5 or whatever they call it, PLEASE let them do something, hardware or software, to improve the battery charge life. With my iPhone 4/IOS4 I only had to charge it every two days. Now with iPhone 4S/IOS5 at least once a day. This week for the first time it ran out before 5PM. And I am NOT a power user. I would not object to a thicker, heavier phone if it improved this critical aspect of basic functionality.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
If they do nothing else in the iPhone 5 or whatever they call it, PLEASE let them do something, hardware or software, to improve the battery charge life. With my iPhone 4/IOS4 I only had to charge it every two days. Now with iPhone 4S/IOS5 at least once a day. This week for the first time it ran out before 5PM. And I am NOT a power user. I would not object to a thicker, heavier phone if it improved this critical aspect of basic functionality.

The iPhone already has excellent battery life. Almost everyone, except the most extreme users make it through the whole day on one charge, and that's what matters.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

How often do you run your battery down to zero. You should do this at least once a month. I have the iPhone 4 which I got on launch day and the battery is as good as the day I got it. For me that is the sign of the quality. On other products you would start to notice a drop of in performance. As for upgrading I'm quite happy with the phone I've got as it does all I need it to do. The small upgrade to 4s didn't seem worth it to me. When they do release the 5 I will evaluate the new features and decide if it's worth it for me. I never buy through contract though. You end up paying more and you don't have the freedom to switch when YOU want to.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
How often do you run your battery down to zero. You should do this at least once a month. I have the iPhone 4 which I got on launch day and the battery is as good as the day I got it. For me that is the sign of the quality. On other products you would start to notice a drop of in performance. As for upgrading I'm quite happy with the phone I've got as it does all I need it to do. The small upgrade to 4s didn't seem worth it to me. When they do release the 5 I will evaluate the new features and decide if it's worth it for me. I never buy through contract though. You end up paying more and you don't have the freedom to switch when YOU want to.

You're lucky you get to pay less. Here in the US, you pay the same either way. My plan, however, is to get a 16GB 5 on launch day and Craigslist it for at least $700, so that I make more than the subsidy back, and pocket the money. That way, if I ever want to buy an unlocked one, I can do that, or I can pay the ETF and still have money left over if I want to go to Verizon at some point.

carefreecork

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2012
UK
:eek:
New iPad's in the Spring
New Mac's and new Mac OS in the Summer (great for new students buying new computers before fall classes)
New iPhones and new iOS in the Fall. (great for christmas holidays)

Simple and makes sense. They got their formula all worked out and I see no reason to mess with it in the near future.

I couldn't agree more - this is a simple and excellent marketing strategy.

After enjoying the many comments on what the name the new iPhone will be - I will answer that with a question - what did users here on Mac Rumors or on a search engine input to find a discussion on the new iPhone?

The answer I would suggest is the same that consumers and the industry are expecting it to be and seems the most logical - the long awaited:

iPhone5

I will further my belief that this will come to fruition as all others are not usable.

iPhone LTE (not really applicable outside USA)
iPhone 4G (again it is only the States that are really ready for this)
iPhone 6 (extremely confusing for the consumer - even though it is the 6th phone it would be odd to miss out 5 - we can understand why it went to 3G, but this may be a leap too far)

But with Apple you never know - they may chose to cease this number system altogether!

Edit: Like the new iPhone

Last edited:

carefreecork

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2012
UK
This. iPhone 5 doesn't make sense because it is not the 5th iPhone - and the other possibilities are problematic as you mentioned...

I don't think it can't be iPhone5 because it isn't the 5th phone - the previous phones do not work to that pattern - otherwise why would be have had 3G and 4S and they were the 2nd and 5th phones respectively.

But, like you, I would prefer they scrapped this system for one, that evidently, would confuse the consumer less.

PackFan

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
I don't think it can't be iPhone5 because it isn't the 5th phone - the previous phones do not work to that pattern - otherwise why would be have had 3G and 4S and they were the 2nd and 5th phones respectively.

But, like you, I would prefer they scrapped this system for one, that evidently, would confuse the consumer less.

Agreed - except that the only iPhone that did have just a number (iPhone 4) was, indeed, the 4th iPhone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.