Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:30 PM   #526
jaduffy108
macrumors 6502a

"new iPad"

Love the update...looks awesome...dumbest name ever.
jaduffy108 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:30 PM   #527
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavika411 View Post
The invitation-only Apple Media Event is now over.

I haven't seen such a massive step forward since Windows '98 transitioned to Windows 2000.
You have not seen much then. Keep looking.
lilo777 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:30 PM   #528
Vorpal279
macrumors member

Yeah, that's an epic fail on the name. I mean "The New iPad" Really???
Vorpal279 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:31 PM   #529
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Calm down people. They will eventually give it a name when they introduce the next one or come close to it.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:31 PM   #530
intervenient
macrumors 6502

Pretty horrible name, I agree.
intervenient is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:31 PM   #531
Rocketman
macrumors 603

I just checked and the new apple website does not display properly on my older Mac PBG4 10.4.11 with Firefox 3.6.26. I guess the "post PC era" has arrived to Apple's own Macs as well.

Rocketman
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:31 PM   #532
maniacphoner
macrumors regular

pre-orders start today!! excited !!
maniacphoner is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:31 PM   #533
Flood123
macrumors 6502a

Q: "What iPad do you have? "
A: "The new iPad."

one year later after the next iPad is released

Q: "What iPad do you have?"
Q: "Which new iPad?"
A: "The older new iPad I guess?"
Q: SO,... it's not the new iPad?"
A: No,... It is the new iPad. Just not the new iPad"
Q: " OK well then,... Who's on first?"
Flood123 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:31 PM   #534
pflau
macrumors 6502

The new iPad is just called the iPad - very smart

It is very smart of Apple to not give the new iPad a new name. Just like Rolex they never change the names of their watches even as they've made improvement over the years. A Datejust is called a Dateject today as it was 50 years ago. This way the old Datejusts keep their value and people have to make extra effort to identify the new ones to appreciate their improvements. Needless to say Apple is the Rolex of consumer electronics and I'm not the least bit surprised that they do the same.
pflau is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:31 PM   #535
URFloorMatt
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by meechy View Post
What the hell kind of name is that? Come on apple, be a bit more original.
Riiight. Because iPad 3 or iPad HD would've been "original."

They haven't named the iPods in years. Why stick a number on the iPad? You either want the new one or the cheapest one. It's obvious. The number is just clutter. Apple doesn't like clutter.

If you buy an iPad this year, you have the 2012 iPad.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:31 PM   #536
GekiRed
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake6830 View Post
Adding LTE and the new display are "incremental upgrades" but you're holding out for a storage increase?
There's nothing wrong with holding out for a incremental increase, especially if I'm going to be paying a obscene amount of money for a product that's basically nothing more than a glorified large-sized iPod Touch!

I'm sorry if this upsets people out there, but there ARE Android tablets out there which offer better value for money than the iPad!

It's not that I don't want a iPad, I DO want to buy one, it's just that they've been practically the same damn product with very minor improvements for the past 3 years. As I said before, if you're not bothered with the amount of storage in one, I have no problem with that, but if you've never bought one because of things like the amount of storage, then quite a few people will wait till Apple gives them what they want.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:31 PM   #537
VinceDae
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sone3D View Post
Not 3 or 4G or HD or LTE...
Actually I just think its "iPad" like Macbook and so on - But something fun, when I copyed this picture from apples site its says iPad_Hero.jpg haha - So iPad HERO it is :P

VinceDae is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:32 PM   #538
DEXTERITY
macrumors 6502a

apple home page finally updated.. store still down though..

in the product description the iPad is referred to as: the new, third-generation iPad
DEXTERITY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:32 PM   #539
CXsjr
macrumors regular

Beaten to it!
CXsjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:32 PM   #540
euvnairb
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsounds View Post
"New iPad", huh? Steve Jobs is rising from the dead to strangle Tim Cook for this amazing, mindblowing product name.
It's just "iPad"...just like the ipod, ipod nano, imac, etc...basically same naming scheme as all other apple products aside from the iphone. Get over it people, it's just a name and it's the same ipad you know and love.
euvnairb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:32 PM   #541
thai4life
macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GekiRed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Gee I wonder how many of these posts we're going to see today....of all these people who were going to buy the new iPad but because it doesn't have X they're going to buy some Android tablet instead.
It's called "being realistic", my cynical friend! Maybe you should try it sometime, because not everybody is a Sheeple.

Apple makes good products. I own a iPod Touch myself, but I'm not an Apple Sheeple who bought it because of the brand name, I bought it because of what it could do. As I said in a previous post here, I'm more into specs than the brand name and whether you like it or not, there ARE people who will buy a product because of its specs rather than brand name, myself interested.

I would have definitely bought an iPad this year, but seeing as it's nothing more than one of Apple's smoke and mirrors incremental upgrades, I'll pass on it this year and let everybody else buy one while waiting till next year to see if Apple brings out one with 128GB of storage. Look at it this way, there may be people who think that 64GB is more than enough, but for a lot of people, they'll always want more storage for things like books, music, magazines, etc and 64GB isn't going to cut it in this multimedia age!

I know if I was running Apple, I'd definitely give the customers what they say they would want because it's good business, and if that means 128GB or more of storage, then so be it. In fact, I wouldn't be too surprised if there isn't an Android tablet coming out in the next year or so which would have 128GB of storage built-in.
You are correct, sir. I can't believe people are still falling for this! The iPad equivalent of an iPhone 4S. Basically. Once again they were poised to "revolutionize" yet at this point they're just copy-cat'ers --- with the exception of the screen. Opens the door for the competition to outshine and they've got at least an entire year to do so before the next iPad. A 5mp camera in a world of 8's? With no flash?? Really?? Stay tuned for the summer, folks. More of the same smoke and mirrors for the next iPhone I'm sure. Wouldn't put it past them to release another 3.5" screen either. Laughable.
thai4life is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:33 PM   #542
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
Fixed that for ya!
Thanks dejo

Refreshing iTunes for app updates and safari for apple store..

Do we know if the new look Apple TV menu system will be coming to ATV2, much in the same way the Nano was updated last year with the new look software?
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:33 PM   #543
Carouser
macrumors 65816

"The new iPad didn't meet my arbitrary standards, it's just an incremental change but isn't revolutionary, very disappointing Apple."

Never change, MacRumors forum.

EDIT: hahaha holy loly people are already saying "give the competition a year and they'll catch up" - the competition has had just as much time as Apple, I've been reading this for years and still watching everyone else get crushed
Carouser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:33 PM   #544
lilo777
Banned

So, the specs are out (on Apple web site) and RAM spec is missing. Are they stupid or something? They list storage size, camera resolution, screen resolution but not RAM? Ridiculous.
lilo777 is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:33 PM   #545
Papajohn56
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsounds View Post
"New iPad", huh? Steve Jobs is rising from the dead to strangle Tim Cook for this amazing, mindblowing product name.
No he isn't, how many times did we have "the New iMac"
Papajohn56 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:33 PM   #546
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
I don’t know if all the rumors and leaks are actually a good thing. They take most of the surprises out of these events. We pretty much got what we expected. Of course, if I didn’t want spoilers, I shouldn’t visit a “rumors” site.

I’m more excited about the “more good things to come in 2012” that was mentioned at the end. I’m itching for exciting desktop updates.
Exactly...people get fooled into believing everything they read and then get disappointed.

People are too connected now with information.

This is an amazing upgrade. Well worth it.
Ryth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:33 PM   #547
Tinyluph
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood123 View Post
Q: "What iPad do you have? "

one year later after the next iPad is released

Q: "What iPad do you have?"
Q: "Which new iPad?"
A: "The older new iPad I guess?"
Q: SO,... it's not the new iPad?"
A: No,... It is the new iPad. Just not the new iPad"
Q: " OK well then,... Who's on first?"
Not quite. I suspect they want it to work the same way iPods did where people say "3rd generation" or whatever after.

It will still be confusing as hell though.
Tinyluph is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:34 PM   #548
vandal138
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceDae View Post
Actually I just think its "iPad" like Macbook and so on - But something fun, when I copyed this picture from apples site its says iPad_Hero.jpg haha - So iPad HERO it is :P

yup, i agree with you on that one. It looks like its just called an iPad, like the rest of the apple family. Makes sense, but what will they call the old ones? old iPad?
vandal138 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:34 PM   #549
ABadSanta
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
better graphics, better cpu/gpu, 4G LTE better camera. What would you want in there that they have not thrown in.
I'm not sure at all, but isn't the cpu the same, whereas the gpu has been upgraded?
ABadSanta is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 02:34 PM   #550
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmace View Post
Someone make a great fine tipped stylus for that new app by sketchbook PLEASE!!! Drawing with a finger is STUPID! Cant wait to get this new iPad.
But...but Steve said if it has a stylus, it's failed!

Last edited by Dr McKay; Mar 7, 2012 at 02:46 PM.
Dr McKay is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion