Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lunchbox700

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
MN
I am actually concerned that the carriers might jack up the monthly price for the 4g versions . Has anyone seen info yet on the pricing structure.

betab

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
What are people going to call it in ten months time? The (10 months old) New iPad? I don't think so... :D

Deliverator007

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
It is very smart of Apple to not give the new iPad a new name. Just like Rolex they never change the names of their watches even as they've made improvement over the years. A Datejust is called a Dateject today as it was 50 years ago. This way the old Datejusts keep their value and people have to make extra effort to identify the new ones to appreciate their improvements. Needless to say Apple is the Rolex of consumer electronics and I'm not the least bit surprised that they do the same.

Well, the Rolex comparison is not entirely accurate. As the Rolex watches change over time, they get different model numbers, and the aficionados use the model numbers to describe the watch. For instance, my no-date Submariner from the early 2000's is a 14060m, while a no-date Submariner from the early 1970's is a 5513. If you care about the differences between the models, you need a way to uniquely refer to the different models.

ladatabaser

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
HERO a term from movie production

Actually I just think its "iPad" like Macbook and so on :D - But something fun, when I copyed this picture from apples site its says iPad_Hero.jpg haha - So iPad HERO it is :p

The term HERO refewrs to the prop or in this case touched up photo that was used onscreen or in close up....

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Like the new ipad, nice update.

Now for Apple to invest in some developers who know how to bring the store back up. ....

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
The new ipad... what a name! :)
It won't be new next year. It will be confusing in the future. I have different versions of ipod nanos; sometimes it's hard to remember which one came out earlier.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
It's a great release and update. Too many on here expect rumors that never were promised.

I think it's an adequate update. Spec bumps, retina display. But a great update? There's nothing game-changing here. Nothing your average Joe or Jane will be talking about in the hallway. And at that price range, I think you need a lightning bolt feature to get the masses talking and interested in a $500-800 tablet.

enklined

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Earth
"2012: There's a lot to look forward to."

I'd like to think this eludes to another iPad release later this year, as speculated in a past MacRumors article.

GekiRed

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Hades aka England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You are correct, sir. I can't believe people are still falling for this! The iPad equivalent of an iPhone 4S. Basically. Once again they were poised to "revolutionize" yet at this point they're just copy-cat'ers --- with the exception of the screen. Opens the door for the competition to outshine and they've got at least an entire year to do so before the next iPad. A 5mp camera in a world of 8's? With no flash?? Really?? Stay tuned for the summer, folks. More of the same smoke and mirrors for the next iPhone I'm sure. Wouldn't put it past them to release another 3.5" screen either. Laughable.

Thank God somebody agrees with me! It's not that they don't make good products, it's just that these days, they don't seem to be as innovative as they used to be whereas the likes of Samsung and ASUS with their Android products are leaving them dead in the water whether the Sheeple like it or not.

At the end of the day, I'm just being brutally honest when I say that the new iPad is a disappointment, especially as I swore that I would buy one this year, but now I'm going to wait till next year when the next iPad comes out with a storage increase (hopefully).

Flitzy

Oct 20, 2010
Exactly...people get fooled into believing everything they read and then get disappointed.

People are too connected now with information.

This is an amazing upgrade. Well worth it.

Welcome to the world of tech blogs.

They whip everyone into a frenzy with sensationalistic articles and then people go into things with unrealistic expectations to the point where if it doesn't grow wings, fly, and shoot lasers out of the camera, it's just "smoke and mirrors" upgrade.

They're all the same - Gizmodo, Techcrunch, Engadget? Just the tech equivalent of the National Enquirer.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
this year: "The New iPad"
next year: "The Newer iPad"
the year after: "The Newest iPad"
the year after: "The Newster iPad"...

I don't understand why everyone is making such a big deal over this. Apple has done it this way with the various iPod lines for years.

Clearly everyone will simply refer to it as "3rd Gen" for diagnostic purposes.

No5tromo

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2012
should be name iPad F, where F stands for Fail
everyone will go get iPad 2 now at $399

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
And at that price range, I think you need a lightning bolt feature to get the masses talking and interested in a $500-800 tablet.

they are going to crush the competition and every major news outlet will be talking about this

are you for real

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Nice, but superficial update.

iPad: Eye Candy edition.

I just question the practicality of some of the stuff they showed.

Who is really going to use their iPad as their main camera? Does anyone really like games on the iPad more than consoles and dedicated handhelds? Anyone really going to edit 1080p videos on the iPad? OR use it as a photo library? Any group of 4 going to sit around and jam with 4 iPads?

REtina is great, but not going to change anything. Just make it all look better. Extra power all goes to supporting Retina.

I will refrain from checking out the new iPad so my iPad 2 screen will remain looking great. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.