Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

verizon_iphone_cook-500x331.jpg

Verizon today announced that as of April 22 it will initiate a $30 upgrade fee for current customers moving to new devices.
On April 22, Verizon Wireless is implementing a $30 upgrade fee for existing customers purchasing new mobile equipment at a discounted price with a two-year contract. This fee will help us continue to provide customers with the level of service and support they have come to expect which includes Wireless Workshops, online educational tools, and consultations with experts who provide advice and guidance on devices that are more sophisticated than ever.
Verizon is the last of the major U.S. carriers to add a device upgrade fee, a secondary revenue stream carriers justify by citing costs associated with setting up new devices and updating account information. Sprint and AT&T previously charged $18 device upgrade fees, but Sprint doubled its fee to $36 last September and AT&T followed suit back in February.

Article Link: Verizon to Initiate $30 Device Upgrade Fee on April 22

Last edited:

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
This fee will help us continue to provide customers with the level of service and support they have come to expect which includes Wireless Workshops, online educational tools, and consultations with experts who provide advice and guidance on devices that are more sophisticated than ever.

Here's an idea, stop these programs, cut the fee, and direct these people to Apple's support.

surf2snow1

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
So these upgrade fees aren't charged when you are a new customer? What's the incentive to stay with your current provider then??

bevo

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2002
ugh.

we are being nickeled and dimed to death by all these companies...

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
If the fee is being used to provide service and support in regards to an upgrade, what about the folks who just go to the Verizon or Apple website and purchase a new phone with their credit card? There's no "service and support" involved!

There shouldn't be a fee involved in that circumstance!

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
We need to go against this. It has been proven that if the people speak up loud and clear, these wireless companies have no choice but to make us happy. This is such BS....it's not like any work goes into upgrading our devices. If anything they should be crediting US for continuing to use their service and extending our contracts.

tirerim

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
So these upgrade fees aren't charged when you are a new customer? What's the incentive to stay with your current provider then??

Not only is there no incentive to stay, there's an extra incentive to leave. Though maybe not enough to be a big factor for most people.

Simon86

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
I'm moving to North America in a couple of weeks, and the one thing I'm really not looking forward to is how the mobile carriers seem to rip you off. Especially when compared to what the carriers charge here in the UK.

Some of the carriers charge extra for caller ID, voicemail, etc. All of which are standard in the UK. Plus all the carriers charge these stupid activation/upgrade fees. And then there's the cost of calling plans and data plans...

Not much you can do though, when it seems they have us all by the balls.

bevo

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2002
so I am wondering why the carriers don't cut the monthly fees after our contract is up?

We sign a 2 year contract to make sure that our new fancy phone is subsidized, but once that period is over, shouldn't the subsidy payment be discontinued?

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Hmm....Glad I have AT&T...never had any issues and they never try these kind of things.

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
so I am wondering why the carriers don't cut the monthly fees after our contract is up?

We sign a 2 year contract to make sure that our new fancy phone is subsidized, but once that period is over, shouldn't the subsidy payment be discontinued?

The whole thing is a racket.

Maybe I'll switch carriers every 2 years.

They'll just hit you with a new-customer "activation fee" instead of an existing-customer "upgrade fee." You can't escape it.

----------

Hmm....Glad I have AT&T...never had any issues and they never try these kind of things.

Uh, AT&T has always charged an upgrade fee. It used to be $18. Now it's $36.

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
You can't be serious :rolleyes:.

100%. Never had any extra fees tacked on anything..Had AT&T since 1999 and don't ever see leaving them.. Verizon does online bill paying fees, etc..seems they want to nickel and dime you everywhere.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007

LOL as I wipe tear from my eye. That is just even MORE gravy for the carrier at that point if the customer doesn't take advantage of a new upgrade at that time. There is no reduced rates should you continue service, because the carrier wants to lock you in to a long-term commitment. The vicious circle continues on and on!
Vote with your wallet. Just by your device outright and use it on a service that gives you the best price.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
:eek: that dose seem like a cheek if your an exsting customer and whats an online workshop

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Can't this be argued as bait-n-switch? I mean, a lot of people signed up for contracts with the promise of the upgrade after a year, no?

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
It's all a bunch of bullsh!.. My Verizon contract has been up for over a year and I was thinking about upgrading to an iPhone but I just don't want to give any one of these carriers any more money than I have to because they make me sick. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.