Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:07 PM   #26
onthecouchagain
Banned

Even with small hands, your thumb is but a few millimeters away from reaching the top. It's not that hard, folks.

And the pay offs are worth it. This isn't about Android vs. iOS. I think a larger iPhone would be glorious to use.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:43 PM   #27
DroidRules
Banned

The "using my phone one handed" argument is silly. Not all people have tiny hands folks. I can use my friends 4.3" screened droid phone one handed no problem. I'm sure they would still have the 3.5" screen option for you tiny handed people but it's time for a larger option too IMHO.
DroidRules is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:47 PM   #28
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjy91 View Post
Well personally my thumb extends beyond the frame of the iPhone, if I hold it in my right hand, I can literally adjust the volume with my right thumb.
Holding the phone normally in ur right hand (back of phone laying across ur fingers and palm, with the bottom right corner nestled in the center of your palm...or some close variation). There is NO WAY u can adjust the volume with ur right thumb without rotating the phone almost onto its side.

..but I agree with u. A 4" screen would be perfect for my hands which are not very big.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:07 PM   #29
ixodes
macrumors 601

These claims of Androids that are too big for your pocket are made by those who have no clue about facts. The 4.3" display equipped SGS II is only 7mm wider than an iPhone 4.

If you don't know metric measurements their's 25.4mm to an inch. Thus the Android is just barely wider than an iPhone. It's also, 4mm thinner.

If you cant fit that in your pockets, they must be sewed shut

So much for all this drama created to make anything larger than 3.5" sound like a truck... Nice try.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:43 AM   #30
sk1wbw
macrumors 68020

I guess it all depends upon the size of your hands. I could probably use a Samsung Note one handed, albeit awkwardly, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with it in my pocket. That's just too big.

I'd like to see Apple release two iPhones with two different screen sizes.
sk1wbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:50 AM   #31
DavoteK
macrumors regular

Current screen size, perfect.

Bigger screen? What for?
DavoteK is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:59 AM   #32
NewtonApple
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoteK View Post
Current screen size, perfect.

Bigger screen? What for?
How many "current" smartphones have a 3.5" screen
NewtonApple is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:21 AM   #33
DavoteK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtonApple View Post
How many "current" smartphones have a 3.5" screen
Gotta keep up with the Jones' I take it?

So, what is this extra screen size gonna do that a 3.5" screen can't do?
DavoteK is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:37 AM   #34
NewtonApple
Banned

Quote:
Gotta keep up with the Jones' I take it?

So, what is this extra screen size gonna do that a 3.5" screen can't do?
Enhance the experience of using the Internet and playing games. I do not play games but adding a little to the size from the tiny screen will help with doing the Internet when I need to do so. I know you will say it is fine the way it is, but the majority of the users, including I, want a larger screen.

It is not really about keeping up with the Jones, it is more like leaving the 3.5" screen with the Flintstones and moving into the current state of technology.

I am not asking for a huge screen, but no one does a 3.5" screen anymore for a reason. Apple has little choice and will have to increase it, at least some. They know their "fans" will follow, where else will the go?
NewtonApple is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:43 AM   #35
gamecube117
macrumors 6502

The Galaxy Note looks nice, however, the size is too large. I saw it for the first time at my cousin's Facebook (I've heard of it but never bothered to look at it) and I swear I thought it was a mini tablet.

----------

Also, since the iPhone 5 will be my first iPhone, there are lots of talk here where people want the screen to be bigger. I don't want that. I've used my friend's iPhone and I think it is the perfect size. If it's too large it will be a hassle to use.
gamecube117 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:51 AM   #36
chdwil
macrumors regular

My wish right now is that my Galaxy II Skyrocket had iOS on it. That would be a perfect phone for me.
chdwil is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:15 AM   #37
boss.king
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
I used my wife's new Nokia Lumia 900 which has a 4.3" screen exclusively for a weekend doing all kinds of routine tasks that I would do on my iPhone, and now I am convinced that 3.5" screen is the ideal if you want to consistently use a phone one handed without straining to reach things on the screen. Anything beyond 3.5" (or at most 3.7") just doesn't work for one handed use at least for me and I have normal sized hands.

Confession: I am the guy who started this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1355401 and thought Apple was arrogant to push another 3.5" sized iPhone on us. Frankly I was just enamored with the large screen Android phones that I played with a few times at the AT&T store which look great when you use it only for a few minutes. But for prolonged use the smaller iPhone is much more comfortable, I have to admit. Seems like Apple knows what it is doing after all.

Having said that if you are somebody that uses their phone two handed, definitely the bigger screenmay work for you. Still a lot of people say that they can fit their huge 4.5", 4,7", 5" phones easily in the pocket because they are so thin so they don't see an issue with the size. But IMHO I think the phone size is most important when you are trying to use it and not whether you can slip it easily in and out of pockets.
Something that is important to take into account is the layout of the UI. I used a 3GS for almost 2 years and could reach everything fine. I now use a Titan (4.7") and can still reach everything just fine. That's because all the buttons are at the bottom. There's literally nothing I can think of in terms of core usage that requires me to go past the halfway point on the screen, so it's just as comfortable operating with one hand.

With iOS you need to reach up because the back buttons are located at the top of the screen. That's why the 3.5" display works so well for the iPhone. If all the buttons were located at the bottom, I guarantee that designs up to 4.3" would be a lot easier to use for even small-handed people.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:29 AM   #38
DavoteK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Enhance the experience of using the Internet and playing games. I do not play games but adding a little to the size from the tiny screen will help with doing the Internet when I need to do so. I know you will say it is fine the way it is, but the majority of the users, including I, want a larger screen.
Majority? So you've polled every iPhone user?

Tiny screen? Either you need to stop exaggerating or its time for a trip to the opticians my friend

Quote:
It is not really about keeping up with the Jones, it is more like leaving the 3.5" screen with the Flintstones and moving into the current state of technology.
Majority of these larger screens still look poor in comparison to the iPhone display.

Quote:
I am not asking for a huge screen
Yes you are, 3.5 is already too big.

Quote:
but no one does a 3.5" screen anymore for a reason. Apple has little choice and will have to increase it, at least some. They know their "fans" will follow, where else will the go?
Contradictory statement there fella. Little choice but to increase it but their "fans" will follow them regardless, so why would they need to change it then?

Again, this whole sheep mentality "ooh, look, htc and all the other dime a dozen handset makers have made tablets that are phones they are that big, lets copy them", come on, its the perfect form factor. Anything else is disproportionate.

I hope its a 3.5" screen just to annoy "the majority" of users
DavoteK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:36 AM   #39
Hackintosh Sr.
macrumors regular

all you people with baby hands jeesh. I don't want a mini screen on the next iphone. Just no bigger than 4.7" and I am happy. No smaller than 4. I would almost say 4.3". I think android phones are garbage but I am springing for the htc one JUST because of the screen and LTE. These are the iphones shortcomings that I just can't look over any longer.

iPhone 5S 64gb Outer Space Grey
Hackintosh Sr. is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:37 AM   #40
NewtonApple
Banned

Quote:
Majority? So you've polled every iPhone user?

Tiny screen? Either you need to stop exaggerating or its time for a trip to the opticians my friend
There are polls in this forum that indicate a want of a larger screen.

How about a trip to reality!

I understand that you do not want it larger, but Apple knows you will not leave if they DO make it a little larger and yet they will save a lot of users and attract new users by making the screen larger. It makes good business sense!
NewtonApple is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:54 AM   #41
DavoteK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackintosh Sr. View Post
all you people with baby hands jeesh. I don't want a mini screen on the next iphone. Just no bigger than 4.7" and I am happy. No smaller than 4. I would almost say 4.3". I think android phones are garbage but I am springing for the htc one JUST because of the screen and LTE. These are the iphones shortcomings that I just can't look over any longer.
You got hands like an ork then or something lol

Quote:
There are polls in this forum that indicate a want of a larger screen.

How about a trip to reality!

I understand that you do not want it larger, but Apple knows you will not leave if they DO make it a little larger and yet they will save a lot of users and attract new users by making the screen larger. It makes good business sense!
Oh, so every iPhone user in the entire world peruses these fine forums? Thanks for the info.

Good business sense? Hahahaha, were you the one on the financial earnings calls giving the forecasts for the next 2 Quarters to Tim Cook, lol
Look, all you gotta say is that you want a bigger brick to carry around with you so that you can troll some Fandroids because at the moment they keep throwing screensize at you all the time.
Business sense, what the hell do you know about business sense haha.

If you ain't happy with it, jump ship. I'm sure Apple will sorely miss you and then look at releasing a mini tablet phone that makes you look like your holding a roof slate to your face when making a call
Money talks, BS walks.
DavoteK is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:07 AM   #42
NewtonApple
Banned

Quote:
You got hands like an ork then or something lol

Oh, so every iPhone user in the entire world peruses these fine forums? Thanks for the info.

Good business sense? Hahahaha, were you the one on the financial earnings calls giving the forecasts for the next 2 Quarters to Tim Cook, lol
Look, all you gotta say is that you want a bigger brick to carry around with you so that you can troll some Fandroids because at the moment they keep throwing screensize at you all the time.
Business sense, what the hell do you know about business sense haha.

If you ain't happy with it, jump ship. I'm sure Apple will sorely miss you and then look at releasing a mini tablet phone that makes you look like your holding a roof slate to your face when making a call
Money talks, BS walks.
You are not going anywhere, Apple is betting on it! I use both Android and Windowss phones with my iPhone 4S. I am happy now and YOU will HAVE to make do with a larger screen!

No sense is arguing with you, you know it is going to happen, you are just bitter over it. Keep swinging at those windmills!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:33 AM   #43
DavoteK
macrumors regular

Quote:
You are not going anywhere, Apple is betting on it! I use both Android and Windowss phones with my iPhone 4S. I am happy now and YOU will HAVE to make do with a larger screen!

No sense is arguing with you, you know it is going to happen, you are just bitter over it. Keep swinging at those windmills!
So not only are you one of Apple's financial advisors, but a product advisor as well.

You're just a one man rock band ain't ya

Can I have your autograph

PS: I will be sticking with the current sized screen, bank on that.

PPS: You have too many phones.

PPPS: Don't forget the autograph.
DavoteK is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:36 AM   #44
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambone View Post
Yeah, but can you still tie your shoes?
Yes...

If I'm missing a trick question or a joke, my bad
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:49 AM   #45
NewtonApple
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackintosh Sr. View Post
They don't just have "baby hands"
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:00 AM   #46
DavoteK
macrumors regular

Just found NewtonApple's next phone;

DavoteK is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:19 AM   #47
saberz
macrumors member

Our next iPhone is going to be unique and def have a bigger screen. Here are a few leaked screen shots..

saberz is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:42 AM   #48
NewtonApple
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberz View Post
Our next iPhone is going to be unique and def have a bigger screen. Here are a few leaked screen shots..

I was hoping it was going to be in the shape of an Apple

Oh well a planeria shape is good for me. Looks like it will fit the hand nicely! Just so the screen is BIGGER!
NewtonApple is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:43 AM   #49
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Just found NewtonApple's next phone;
I'm marking this thread to see you eat crow when the 4" iPhone 5 comes out in October. If you'd ever laid hands on a decent 4" phone, you wouldn't be acting so childish over this issue.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:50 AM   #50
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yes you are, 3.5 is already too big.
Is this you?

I understand thinking 4.3+ is too big but saying 3.5 is too big is absurd.

LSUtigers03 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone