Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
I know Apple doesn't believe in market research or what people on general think what their products need to be like. But I think the overwhelming majority of iPhone users want a bigger screen for the next iPhone. Now Apple would be really arrogant in ignoring all these people and to continue thinking they know what is best for their users in terms of how big a phone needs to be. If they release another 3.5 incher, it could be their first misstep in a long time which could even lead to them losing some of their market share to their competitors. I sincerely hope they are humble enough to listen to their customers who actually buy their products and make them the success they are.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I think the overwhelming majority of iPhone users want a bigger screen for the next iPhone.

What do you base this statement on? Forums like these? Because forums like these are where the power users and enthusiasts reside. I would say that sales numbers don't indicate, at all, that people are wanting a bigger screen. That said, I am all about a bigger screen, but I don't think there is any tangible evidence, at least none that has been presented to me, that would suggest that the majority of iPhone users demand a larger screen.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I know Apple doesn't believe in market research or what people on general think what their products need to be like. But I think the overwhelming majority of iPhone users want a bigger screen for the next iPhone. Now Apple would be really arrogant in ignoring all these people and to continue thinking they know what is best for their users in terms of how big a phone needs to be. If they release another 3.5 incher, it could be their first misstep in a long time which could even lead to them losing some of their market share to their competitors. I sincerely hope they are humble enough to listen to their customers who actually buy their products and make them the success they are.

You act if the iPhone is the only phone on the market. If you'd like a bigger phone there are plenty to choose from. I'd like to know where you got that there is an overwhelming majority that wants a bigger iPhone.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
I am all about a bigger screen, but I don't think there is any tangible evidence, at least none that has been presented to me, that would suggest that the majority of iPhone users demand a larger screen.

I'd like to know where you got that there is an overwhelming majority that wants a bigger iPhone.

Exactly.

Quit assuming you know what the majority wants OP, you don't.

The 3.5' design is crushing the competition of bigger screen phones... logically this gives Apple less incentive to release a larger screen phone (yet) and to save that "big" upgrade for when the iPhone sales start finally slacking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
What do you base this statement on? Forums like these? Because forums like these are where the power users and enthusiasts reside. I would say that sales numbers don't indicate, at all, that people are wanting a bigger screen.

I'm not sure forums like this one represents the feelings of normal people in almost any area! :rolleyes::D

Attachments

• Janet Leigh - Scream.png
    Janet Leigh - Scream.png
    189.6 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

socalif

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2012
would love to see a bigger screen I was using Motoroal RAZR for a bit to test an App and coming back to iPhone made it look pretty small (although resolution is muuuch better)

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California
Apple is so arrogant, they're gonna re-release this phone with a glowing Apple logo on the back and stage a U2/Black Eyed Peas/Kelly Clarkson/Neil Diamond concert in Dubai to announce it.

Attachments

• nokia.gif
    nokia.gif
    37.6 KB · Views: 4,155

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Almost all polls on this forum indicate people want a larger phone. A majority of the people and friends that I've spoken to want a larger screen. I know it is all anecdotal, but that doesn't make it not true. It is also true that once people switch to larger screens, they can never go back even of it means putting up with Android and its less than stellar user experience.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The 3.5' design is crushing the competition of bigger screen phones... logically this gives Apple less incentive to release a larger screen phone (yet) and to save that "big" upgrade for when the iPhone sales start finally slacking.

Eh, I am not sure there is necessarily evidence of this either, to be fair.

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2012
It is also true that once people switch to larger screens, they can never go back even of it means putting up with Android and its less than stellar user experience.

No it isn't. This is the perfect example of how you can't say with ANY certainty what others want or do.

I switched from a 4.5" galaxy s2 to the iphone. Absolutely ZERO issues with the 3.5" screen, and strongly prefer my current iphone experience to Android on a larger screen.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
you need to take a look at how many people here say they don't want a bigger phone.
One it may make them feel better by saying that as not to play into androids larger screens.
Two - see my signature.

A 4 inch screeen is a world of a difference. if apples decides to keep the 3.5 inch screen in efforts to maximize their profits, I don't think I will wait another year to see if the iphone will have a larger screen.

There are many challenges they will have to overcome, larger screen, larger battery and weight. Between the two battery hogs, LTE and the retina display, they have their work cut out for them.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
I went from a 4.5 inch screen to an iPhone 4s. Took a few days to adjust but I decided I would much rather have a smaller screen with a much better build, display, processor and OS

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I definitely think Apple is that 'arrogant' (if you'd like to call it like that) that they are not going to bring huge improvements. My telecom plan/contract expires this summer and I'll see what Apple has to offer by than and what either HTC or Samsung has to offer by than.

I hope Apple releases a new iPhone in June but I think they are staying with the October cycle.

As much as I love iOS, if Apple doesn't offer enough this year I'll definitely switch (and sure, maybe I'll come back after that, but currently Android offers the same apps and you can basically do the same things - you're only wearing a different coat).

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
There have been more than a few polls in this forum with the majority wanting a larger screen. I would not mind them maximizing the real estate on the current iPhone as they could amd the screen bigger. Apple WILL loose some customers if they do not.

And I know some of you die hard Apple fans like the iPhone the way it is but Apple needs new customers, too, and unless you buy two or three, let Apple try to appeal to some of it new customers while hopefully not pissing off the old fan boys.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
There have been more than a few polls in this forum with the majority wanting a larger screen.

Absolutely true. What a lot of people miss (and you might not be one of them) is that a poll on an enthusiast forum is hardly indication of what the entire userbase wants. It's probably a good indication of what the enthusiast userbase wants (makes sense, right), but said userbase is in the minority (this isn't to say that their opinion cannot gel with the majority), simply based on numbers.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
John Gruber said this about the iPhone:

Longer and wider? Sounds like ********. I can see Apple putting a bigger display on a device of the same size. I can’t see them making a bigger device.

I'd take it as him saying that the iPhone won't be getting bigger to accommodate a large screen, so if the iPhone ever gets a bigger screen (which he seems to doubt very much), it will be on roughly the same size form factor.

It's unfortunate that the iPhone won't be getting a larger screen most likely, as I'd really like it. However, not enough to switch away from iOS.

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
United States
it really won't matter wether apple does or doesn't release it with a bigger screen. I for one, will not be buying the new iPhone when it comes out because of this. The new android phones are already much better and i am going to get the gs3. it will have androids version of siri a 1080p screen at 4.7inch. and it will have much better battery life and tegra 3.

apple has really beome money hungry and it is very upsetting.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Do you think Apple is 'arrogant' enough to release a 3.5" new iPhone

I hope that Apple has enough sense to keep their phone at 3.5", 640x960. Hopefully they will not succumb to teens clamoring for bigger screens, bigger speakers, bigger balls and bigger whatnot. I hope that the bigger-is-better crowd will somehow realize that a ****ing cellphone can't get bigger every year.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
I hope that the bigger-is-better crowd will somehow realize that a ****ing cellphone can't get bigger every year.

Last I checked the iPhone screen size has been 3.5" since 2007....5 frickin years and 5 generations ago! All people are asking for is a 4" screen which would be ideal for most people and offer the best compromise between size and usability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.