Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With many hoping that Apple will undertake a significant redesign effort for the next-generation iPhone, scattered claims have fueled speculation that Apple might base the design on amorphous metal alloys from Liquidmetal Technologies. Apple acquired exclusive rights to Liquidmetal's technologies for use in consumer electronics back in 2010, but so far as used the metal only in the iPhone 3G SIM removal tool.

liquidmetal_alloy.jpg

Atakan Peker, one of the inventors of Liquidmetal alloys, reports in a new interview with Business Insider that Apple is unlikely to use the alloys as a major component for at least two to four years. The company may find uses for Liquidmetal alloys in minor capacities before that time, as it did with the SIM removal tool, but mass production on the scale needed for full device casings is still some time off.
Q: I've heard rumors that future MacBooks from Apple could use Liquidmetal casing, what would that be like? Is it likely to happen?

A: Given the size of MacBook and scale of Apple products, I think it's unlikely that Liquidmetal casing will be used in MacBooks in the near term. It's more likely in the form of small component such as a hinge or bracket. A MacBook casing, such as a unibody, will take two to four more years to implement.
While Peker does not have direct knowledge of Apple's plans for Liquidmetal alloys, he does expect that the company will seek to make a major impact with it and to use it in a breakthrough product down the road. In Peker's view, Apple will likely take advantage of the alloys' strength and durability, as well as the ease with which they can be cast into complex shapes, to bring a unique product to the market.

Article Link: Apple Unlikely to Use Liquidmetal Alloys as Major Design Material for Several Years

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
That's a shame.
The full interview is interesting, especially this part:

I expect Apple to use this technology in a breakthrough product. Such product will likely bring an innovative user interface and industrial design together, and will also be very difficult to copy or duplicate with other material technologies.

It's only him speculating of course.

Last edited:

noodlelegs

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
No liquid metal, same form factor but larger screen on next iPhone. To be released in June.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Insert T2 reference here...

(dohh! Beaten to it!)

Ok, now we can move on :)

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I guess maybe I'm confused or just don't fully understand the benefits of Liquidmetal, but what's the big deal about this? The current batch of Apple products all seem pretty solid. Both my iPhone 4S and iPad 2 have taken drops to hard floors and came away with barely a scratch. What are the benefits of switching from the current materials to Liquidmetal?

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Anyone know what the major benefit/advancement of this material is? I haven't heard anything concrete about what it really does.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Hmmmm did they post this to stave off potential disappointment OR plan to spring it on us in all of it's metall-y goodness for the iP5 release?? Hhmmmm???

Wishful thinking haha but it will be cool to see where Apple goes in the future with these mats.

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
So... Skynet gets put off a few more years?

I think it's too late for that…

skynet-434.jpg

----------

I guess maybe I'm confused or just don't fully understand the benefits of Liquidmetal, but what's the big deal about this? The current batch of Apple products all seem pretty solid. Both my iPhone 4S and iPad 2 have taken drops to hard floors and came away with barely a scratch. What are the benefits of switching from the current materials to Liquidmetal?

Super bouncy iPhones of course!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
No liquid metal, same form factor but larger screen on next iPhone. To be released in June.

I ber you’re very close! Except make it September-October: sufficient time for the advancements needed to achieve the best possible speed/battery balance.

Inakto

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
toronto

Extreme bounciness. Not only will you have to pick up your damaged iPhone, you will have to chase it down the street!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Good. One less rumor is out the way.

Now, all the debate will be whether the new iPhone is 3.5", 3.7", 4.0", or 4.3" in coming months.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Extreme bounciness. Not only will you have to pick up your damaged iPhone, you will have to chase it down the street!

Ha! Already have to do that when one of my kids gets their hands on my iPhone. :D

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
I highly doubt Apple will use LiquidMetal alloys for the Macbook cases. Liquidmetal are relatively heavy Zirconium/Titanium alloys.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
The first time I ever used the SIM removal tool, it instantly snapped off inside. They had to give me a new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.