Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hashberry

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2012
Meh, not too much of a disappointment for me. While liquidmetal Macbook would probably be quite awesome as design, it seems rather overkill for a mass product that has estimated lifespan of 3-5 years. Sure, the current aluminum casing is more prone to dents and scratches, but considering typical laptop usage it is more than enough in terms of durability.

Maybe Apple could use liquidmetal for keyboard keys? For me that seems to be the most abused part of Macbook...

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
The first time I ever used the SIM removal tool, it instantly snapped off inside. They had to give me a new phone.

Interesting. I get dozens of SIM removal tools from my dry cleaner each week.

----------

Woah, sounds very expensive to me :)

It isn't unusually so. The thing about liquidmetal is that it's alleged to be more shatterproof than regular titanium alloys, but IIRC, they made some golf clubs with the stuff only to abandon the product because of shattering. One thing I recall liking about the idea o liquidmetal's Alloys was corrosion resistance because of the disorganized atomic structure preventing oxides from being able to form in a repetitive manner as they do on crystalline metals, but corrosion isn't a huge problem on consumer electronics because they tend to be treated pretty well.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple owns a liquidmetal plant and the best they can think of is to use it to make sim-tray openers? I simply used a bent paper clip to open my sim tray because I wasn't initially aware my ipad shipped with one. :confused:

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Liquidmetal doesn't harden into a crystalline molecular structure like most metals and metal alloys do. It behaves almost like plastic in that it can be heated until it gets soft, then pressed into a complex shape. It doesn't have to be completely melted into a liquid and then poured into a mold like most metals.

So what's the advantage? Well, first of all, you don't need to heat Liquidmetal all the way up to its melting point to shape it. Less energy required. Second, because it never becomes a runny liquid, it's somewhat easier to control and to press into complex shapes. That means simpler molding and few if any grinding/drilling steps, which take time and energy and require additional machinery.

Other advantages include corrosion resistance and scratch resistance. Disadvantages include cost (at least in the original formulation) because of platinum being part of the formula.

So that's why they want to go mine asteroids...

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
sonofabitch!

Every day more rumors about stuff like this, while almost all the products in the buyers guide are in red 'do not buy' mode.

I can't wait for the day we finally get the good ol' rumor that says "new iMac (macpro, macbook pro - you name it) rumored to be announced next Tuesday".

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
To be honest, I think the name is cooler than what the actual material will be.

v.pic

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2012
Killadelphia
Bet the first product the use this for is the "iPanel" - aka, the Apple TV that is a TV.

When's the last time you saw a TV made out of a highly-durable, extremely light weight, brushed and beautiful metal?
Never.

Perfect for making complex shapes, you say?
Well I'd say that casting metal into a television body is pretty damn complex.

That is the first thing that came to my mind, at least. A couple years fits in the time frame they'd release such a device too. One, the want to milk the 3rd gen Apple TV. Two, they want to be able to offer some serious features besides just what the box-top guy does now - so they want to hammer out agreements with streaming services and content providers.
Between those two factors, an entire computer line up to refresh from the ground-up, an iPhone 6th gen, and an iPad 3rd gen to prepare for - which like the computer line up will both be redesigns, with different internals, probably some big enhancements and quite likely an overhaul of iOS with iOS 6....

All that considered, I think that timeframe matches pretty well with the possibility for an "iPanel." Personally, I think an iMac - esqu HD TV would be badass.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Kind of disappointing... makes sense though, since Apple's production volume is quite high... But to be honest, I'm quite happy with the aluminum. Liquid Metal is just an interesting and novel material and has a bit of a "cool factor" in that respect :) Maybe someday though!

kdarling

macrumors P6
Apple owns a liquidmetal plant and the best they can think of is to use it to make sim-tray openers?

Apple doesn't own any plants.

Apple bought perpetual exclusive worldwide rights to use LiquidMetal (tm) in consumer electronics devices.

That means no one else can use that particular brand, just as if someone bought exclusive rights to Gorilla Glass.

Wonder what they paid for that license. It covers a lot of territory, and if it's never used, would seem a bad move by the inventors' spin-off to give up that market forever.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Apple doesn't own any plants.

Apple bought perpetual exclusive worldwide rights to use LiquidMetal (tm) in consumer electronics devices.

That means no one else can use that particular brand, just as if someone bought exclusive rights to Gorilla Glass.

Wonder what they paid for that license. It covers a lot of territory, and if it's never used, would seem a bad move by the inventors' spin-off to give up that market forever.

Yea, the flipside of all this might be Apple just flexing it's cash muscles to make sure no one else uses LiquidMetal in a product going forward. Apple may sit on the license forever not doing anything with it.

anthonymaw

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2005
Not quite the T-1000 Terminator but...

I still don't understand the benefits of LiquidMetal. Basically all I want is an MacBook or iPhone that doesn't dent if I drop it and the screen doesn't fracture. As a computer tech in a large enterprise company I see user's dropped busted MacBooks and smashed glass iPhones regularly and inevitably they are a write-off. Is LiquidMetal (or Gorilla Glass for that matter) the solution? I don't think so....

javed101

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
To be honest, I think the name is cooler than what the actual material will be.

Exactly my thoughts.

If my laptop can't be poured into a cup and carried around, then it doesn't deserve to be called a "Liquidmetal" laptop.

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.