Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neur0genesis

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
In Peker's view, Apple will likely take advantage of the alloys' strength and durability, as well as the ease with which they can be cast into complex shapes, to bring a unique product to the market.

I might spring for a pair of liquidmetal earbuds. With that in mind, it doesn't seem to far-fetched to imagine durable products with improved ergonomics resulting from application of such a material.

saberz

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
Have faith. Given this is one of the last designs Steve had i am sure it will be something special. Give it time!

deftdrummer

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
San Diego
Good. One less rumor is out the way.

Now, all the debate will be whether the new iPhone is 3.5", 3.7", 4.0", or 4.3" in coming months.

Why because some dude who used to work for company wanted some press time? Not like Apple has pulled off anything amazing in the past that defies expectations or anything.

paradox22

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
Anyone know what the major benefit/advancement of this material is? I haven't heard anything concrete about what it really does.

The way it works is by melting the metal and then rapidly cooling it down. Metals normally have a crystal like structure. When its rapidly cooled, the molecules that make up the metal don't have time to go back to its crystal like structure. Instead they are all randomly jumbled together, which is called an amorphous metal. If done right and perfected, this type of metal can be much stronger than its natural crystal like structure. The advantage in technology is that you can use less metal to make thinner devices while at the same time maintaining durability.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Okay, I've decided that bloggers mixed up two different case materials:

Apple once published the idea of making an enclosure from zirconia (zirconium dioxide), which is a ceramic material that usually IS radio transparent.

I think that got mixed up with the very different practice of using the metal zirconium as part of LiquidMetal, which would be electrically conductive and thus NOT radio transparent.

I also found a 2010 interview with the LiquidMetal co-inventor, who did not say anything about it being radio transparent. On the contrary, his idea for Apple was to use an extra conductive LiquidMetal case as a giant radio antenna:

First order of business is an iPhone case that incorporates a new antenna. The alloy case could be structural as well as functional. In other words, a Liquidmetal case could also function as a big antenna. And because different mixtures of metal can produce alloys with different characteristics, Apple could blend an alloy that is optimized for receiving radio signals.

“You can build casings with functional characteristics, and the alloy’s properties as an antenna can be optimized,” Peker said

While there has been an antenna made of LiquidMetal, it was loop shaped, not case shaped. If Apple were to try this idea, I suspect the case would have to have various blank areas in it filled with a non-conductive material in order to make a decent antenna shape.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Okay, I've decided that bloggers mixed up two different case materials:

Apple once published the idea of making an enclosure from zirconia (zirconium dioxide), which is a ceramic material that usually IS radio transparent.

I think that got mixed up with the very different practice of using the metal zirconium as part of LiquidMetal, which would be electrically conductive and thus NOT radio transparent.

I also found a 2010 interview with the LiquidMetal co-inventor, who did not say anything about it being radio transparent. On the contrary, his idea for Apple was to use an extra conductive LiquidMetal case as a giant radio antenna:

While there has been an antenna made of LiquidMetal, it was loop shaped, not case shaped. If Apple were to try this idea, I suspect the case would have to have various blank areas in it filled with a non-conductive material in order to make a decent antenna shape.

Seems to me like you're saying they'll use liquid metal as the antenna band around the outside of the phone. Just like on iPhone 4S

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Yea, after digging around for the last few hours I can't find any ref to the RF transparency of Liquid Metal. So I consider myself corrected. I do see a lot about using it as a antenna material.
However Apple uses it (if at all) the material does seem to hold a lot of promise.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

Of course, "holding it right" would require using bamboo or plastic tongs - since you couldn't hold it with your hand.

;)

Garion

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2006
Denmark, Europe
I highly doubt Apple will use LiquidMetal alloys for the Macbook cases. Liquidmetal are relatively heavy Zirconium/Titanium alloys.

I think you need to read up on your knowledge of materials. Not only are the two metals you mention among the very lightest there are, but furthermore Liquid Metals can be made from different alloys for either strength, flexibility, lightness or corrosion resistance depending on its intended use.

YGAB

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
Apple better have something up their sleeves for their iPhone 5 launch because Samsung is rumored to use ceramic casing for their upcoming Galaxy, which is scheduled for release today...

for those who don't know, the only material on Earth stronger than the zirconia material harnessed within the ceramic is diamond... ceramic is super light, does not stain easily, and won't have any affects on signals... anyone who have utilized ceramic knives are fully aware of its ninja-awesomeness.

in any case, i hope Apple will continue their longstanding marriage with Taiwan's casing manufacturer, Catcher Technology Co. Ltd.... and work together to create a case equally, if not more special.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Why because some dude who used to work for company wanted some press time? Not like Apple has pulled off anything amazing in the past that defies expectations or anything.

We shall see come Fall. Hopefully in four months we'll see it introduced.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
The title should read - "Apple unlikely to design anything at all for several years"

WANT NEW IMAC

Well, they'll continue with their iOS stuff, ignoring the much-needed Mac hardware updates.

Maybe it's a strategy? A LOT of people will get these new Macs, and maybe it will be more than the total number that would be bought if they updated more frequently.

Maybe it's coming with Mountain Lion? That would give a good reason for all of those 2007-2010 Mac users to get a new computer. Hopefully, the new MacBook Pros will also have retina displays, and the iMacs will have higher resolution.

I just want a new Mac Pro to come out so I can get my overpowered 2008 Mac Pro cheaper and ditch this faulty iMac.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Maybe Apple's next breakthrough product will use Liquidmetal.

Not be made of Liquidmetal.

How about a 3D printer that produces custom objects that are made of Liquidmetal?

You could print your own custom jewelry. If you lose your sim-removal tool, you could print one of those, too.

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
There are limits to liquid metal, as we all know.

"Why didn't it just become a bomb or something to get me?"
"It can't form complex machines. Guns and explosives have chemicals, moving parts. It doesn't work that way. But he can form solid metal shapes."
"Like what?"
"Knives and stabbing weapons."

smg9779

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2009
Calm down fanboys, this will not make your iPhone look or work like the T-1000 in Terminator 2.

usptact

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2011
Interesting. What properties the liquid metal alloys has that makes it better/different from aluminium or steel? Will that rise the prices?

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
That's a shame.
The full interview is interesting, especially this part:

I expect Apple to use this technology in a breakthrough product. Such product will likely bring an innovative user interface and industrial design together, and will also be very difficult to copy or duplicate with other material technologies.

It's only him speculating of course.

Samsung sure will have a hard time duplicating it with plastic:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.