Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple last week sent out a mailing to neighbors of its planned Apple Campus 2, a massive new facility on the site of an old HP campus in Cupertino that is set to host 13,000 workers. The mailing offers details on the project, solicits feedback, and asks whether neighbors will support the project either in person at public meetings or by writing letters of support.

Click for larger
In the mailing, Apple touts how the project will enhance the neighborhood around the campus, from both functional and aesthetic perspectives. Apple notes that the project will bring upgrades to streets and sidewalks in the area and add more than 2,000 trees that will replace acres of parking lots with green space. Apple also emphasizes the environmental side of its efforts, from a commitment to 100% renewable energy including a massive solar installation to water reclamation and improved drainage.

Click for larger
Apple does note that the campus will not be open to the public, although many of its planned improvements will impact neighbors. The plan has not been without some controversy, however, as some critics have spoken out against the project design, the closed campus, and the amount of traffic it will bring to the area.

apple_campus_2_response_card.jpg
Apple's timeline calls for the City of Cupertino to review and approve the campus plans later this year, with construction to begin immediately following approval and the first move-ins planned for 2015.

(Thanks, Hansen!)

Article Link: Apple Reaches Out to Cupertino Neighbors Regarding 'Campus 2' Plans

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
There should be an option where the person can check off they are NOT in support of the campus.....

Oh wait, I forgot, Apple doesnt believe in choice. lol

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Wow, they aren't even accepting negative feedback? I mean, it looks amazing (no surprise), but I guess I shouldn't be surprised either that they not only don't like criticism, they also won't accept it.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
If I lived in the area, I wouldn't be too happy about the closed campus aspect. To me that sounds like a fence will have to surround the entire property.

Cg313

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Wow, they aren't even accepting negative feedback? I mean, it looks amazing (no surprise), but I guess I shouldn't be surprised either that they not only don't like criticism, they also won't accept it.

If I was Apple, I wouldn't accept criticism.

I'm Apple, who are you? What impact have you made on society? Let me build my awesome building.

R2D2 xx

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
I'd like to work for apple and at that campus but I doubt they pay their devs a high salary, like $250k/year.

JangoFett124

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
If I lived in the area, I wouldn't be too happy about the closed campus aspect. To me that sounds like a fence will have to surround the entire property.

I wouldn't expect to be able to walk into random office buildings. I think the problem here is that Apple is advertising this as a gift to the community, while in actuality it's a private business campus.

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
yeah, you know what i actually think the choice offered by those three checkboxes is pretty disgusting.

surf2snow1

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
There should be an option where the person can check off they are NOT in support of the campus.....

I think that option is selected by not returning the card. :apple:

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010

Doh.

That option is sending a letter with no options checked, and your comment in the comments section.

shinobi-81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
There should be an option for "I will support you if, and only if, you give my household free Apple gear for the rest of our lives".

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
I can't believe Jobs was fooled into thinking this spaceship would be a good design. If Apple wants to attract the best talent to work on their products, they should locate their campus in a lively city center -- not a suburban office park.

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
It looks soooo nice. I'd honestly consider traveling there just to check out that building (even if it's from a distance, only, lol). It's incredible.

that1guyy

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2011
Closed to the public? Thats pretty lame. I hoped they would've had some sort of mini Apple museum in there like intel does.

Stupid move.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I can't believe Jobs was fooled into thinking this spaceship would be a good design. If Apple wants to attract the best talent to work on their products, they should locate their campus in a lively city center -- not a suburban office park.

That kind of thing is a personal preference. It will attract some, dissuade others.

I dislike the commute involved in going to a city centre, and like greenery on a lunchtime break.

Nice looking building, you'd never get that in a city centre where you have to build up rather than out because of land cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.