Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ed724

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Who cares, build the damn thing already. It's just a freakin building. California sux anyway, too many weird people. I guess that's why Apple is there. I do like their products though. not necessarily in tune with their corporate philosophies. :eek:

johnnyrb

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
I think the new Apple campus is 100% better than what it's replacing.

Apple could always sell the land and move it's people to another city/state. Let the people that don't like the new building pay higher taxes.

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
I can't believe Jobs was fooled into thinking this spaceship would be a good design. If Apple wants to attract the best talent to work on their products, they should locate their campus in a lively city center -- not a suburban office park.

You're kidding, right? Aside from the masochists who flock to New York ******, why would "talent" prefer to squeeze into a raucous soul-killing concrete jungle (where the land isn't available) over a visually-pleasing setting buffered by stuff that's actually alive?

Also, Apple gets a lot of heat over environmental concerns and clearly PR is a factor here. Building an efficient new structure is massively more feasible than trying to rework some existing concrete-bound monstrosity, if one of suitable size were even available.

I don't care how many trees you plant, when 13,000 people go to work in one building there will be an impact on congestion for surrounding streets.

Right, because Cupertino today is a cow town where thousands of Apple and other employees don't already work ???

I'm still not sure what they mean by 'closed'. Do they mean the buildings (sensible) or the entire green space of the campus? Seems like they should make the grounds open to the public.

You're kidding, right? What company invites the public to trample their landscaping, drop trash everywhere, get in the way of their employees, and incur a liability nightmare? It's private property.

The buildings in the current campus are closed to the public, but anyone can drive through, look at the buildings, the icon artwork (if that's still around). With the new round design, anything on the interior is unaccessible [sic] to the public.

The sculpture from which Soundgarden took their name is currently not accessible to the public, yet I don't see outrage. Why on earth would the public want to drive inside the new building and watch people eat their lunch and play frisbee? Why would the employees want the public staring at them?

RangerOne

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
California
I'm still not sure what they mean by 'closed'. Do they mean the buildings (sensible) or the entire green space of the campus? Seems like they should make the grounds open to the public.

Intellectual property theft and employee poaching happen all the time.

Large companies in highly-competitive industries often close their entire campuses so that their employees have a secure place to openly discuss their ideas. This is also a key reason why such companies have on-site cafeterias, exercise facilities, green spaces and why they are NOT located in urban centers. It's not all about making it a nice place to work.

Apple explicitly designed the circular shape of this building so employees are frequently traversing the central courtyard. The idea is that employees who run into each other share diverse stimuli that can lead to creativity. Eureka! Serendipity!

If anyone could walk through Apple's campus and listen in on the conversations of Apple engineers and business leaders, the effects would be catastrophic.

And no, don't think this is paranoid. "Corporate espionage" really does happen.

Last edited:

Dorv

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2008
Well then it's a ridiculous system. If, to show your support you need to check a box and to show your opposition you need to attend a bunch of meetings then of course they're going to get stronger support than opposition.

And I don't see how Apple reaching out for support makes this any more democratic? This is exactly the point - they're reaching out for support but only support - not critical feedback.

And the 'counting the votes thing'? I was making a point to the guy who said you could show you were against it by not returning the card. Because I think that is simply untrue.

Right ... It isn't Apple's job to organization opposition to the proposal.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
That kind of thing is a personal preference. It will attract some, dissuade others.

I dislike the commute involved in going to a city centre, and like greenery on a lunchtime break.

Nice looking building, you'd never get that in a city centre where you have to build up rather than out because of land cost.

Yeah? And my personal preference states that I like being in a downtown core during lunch breaks with a variety of options for food.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
If some local residents have sincere objections to the proposed Apple Campus, they will no doubt have ample opportunity to make their views known at the various public hearings that will be held during the planning process. Apple certainly isn't under obligation to enable them. Its response card contains a comment area where respondents can voice their concerns.

A great part of Apple's market and financial success depends on its ability to keep company information secret. And as such, its well within its rights to keep its facilities "closed" to the general public. For people interested in trying out shiny new Apple products, there are convenient, attractively furnished Apple Stores in most cities these days. Putting a museum or public tour area on campus would only add to the inevitable traffic and congestion the site will create.

Like it or not, cities need businesses, that employ residents and pay local taxes, to keep going. Apple's proposed facility seems to have taken great pains to minimize the ecological and social impact on the area. Replacing acres of ugly blacktop parking lots with natural landscaping and water features seems a net benefit of great value.

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
I'm sure the City Council will consider that.

But if you think those groups opposed to the building (either because of the building per se, or because of other complaints they have against Apple) aren't doing the same thing, "Return this if you want to speak out against the ugly behemoth that corporate giant Apple wants to impose on your city", you're naive.

This isn't a poll, put together by the City Council to see what the public thinks. This is a campaign, put together by the advocates of one side of the issue. Mailings sent out by the Obama campaign won't include a way to express your support of Romney (or vice versa).

Okay well that's made things a little clearer for me. I think I misunderstood the purpose of these response cards. Makes more sense now - I still kind of have a problem with it but more to do with this way of doing things as a whole - not specifically with Apple. But yeah, makes more sense now, thanks.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Well then it's a ridiculous system. If, to show your support you need to check a box and to show your opposition you need to attend a bunch of meetings then of course they're going to get stronger support than opposition.

And I don't see how Apple reaching out for support makes this any more democratic? This is exactly the point - they're reaching out for support but only support - not critical feedback.

And the 'counting the votes thing'? I was making a point to the guy who said you could show you were against it by not returning the card. Because I think that is simply untrue.

This isn't the city asking for input. This is Apple asking for support. If people want to, they can write comments on the card (positive OR negative) and send it back. But keep in mind, they're sending it back to the company that wants to build the structure. Not the city council, planning commission, etc. Sending negative comments to Apple isn't going to help. Talking to the city council/planning commission, whether at a meeting or on the phone, will. It makes your voice heard to the people that are making the decision.

Apple is, of course, looking for support. There's laws everywhere about meetings that have to be held to get the public's input on stuff like this. If someone objects, they go to the meeting. There's nothing wrong with the system.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
If some local residents have sincere objections to the proposed Apple Campus, they will no doubt have ample opportunity to make their views known at the various public hearings that will be held during the planning process. Apple certainly isn't under obligation to enable them. Its response card contains a comment area where respondents can voice their concerns.

A great part of Apple's market and financial success depends on its ability to keep company information secret. And as such, its well within its rights to keep its facilities "closed" to the general public. For people interested in trying out shiny new Apple products, there are convenient, attractively furnished Apple Stores in most cities these days. Putting a museum or public tour area on campus would only add to the inevitable traffic and congestion the site will create.

Like it or not, cities need businesses, that employ residents and pay local taxes, to keep going. Apple's proposed facility seems to have taken great pains to minimize the ecological and social impact on the area. Replacing acres of ugly blacktop parking lots with natural landscaping and water features seems a net benefit of great value.

Are you trying out for a PR job with Apple here?

ken94538

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
Let Apple move to the MOON.
Steve already in the heaven, let Apple take all their crazy cash and go to MOON.
So, we people can work hard and farm the land.

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
This isn't the city asking for input. This is Apple asking for support. If people want to, they can write comments on the card (positive OR negative) and send it back. But keep in mind, they're sending it back to the company that wants to build the structure. Not the city council, planning commission, etc. Sending negative comments to Apple isn't going to help. Talking to the city council/planning commission, whether at a meeting or on the phone, will. It makes your voice heard to the people that are making the decision.

Apple is, of course, looking for support. There's laws everywhere about meetings that have to be held to get the public's input on stuff like this. If someone objects, they go to the meeting. There's nothing wrong with the system.

see my post above :)

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah? And my personal preference states that I like being in a downtown core during lunch breaks with a variety of options for food.

Absolutely correct! Corporations should always consider its employees food preferences before even considering building any head quarter.

As such, I think a survey card should be given to all current and future employees Best, if all local menus attached.

Hopefully you weren't serious.

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
I can't believe Jobs was fooled into thinking this spaceship would be a good design. If Apple wants to attract the best talent to work on their products, they should locate their campus in a lively city center -- not a suburban office park.

Apple's plans do call for solid transit connectivity. I'm all for urban development, but as long as the plans connect the building to the larger community at large, I'm fine with it. If they wanted to build an suburban or exurban office park which demanded a car to reach, I'd completely agree with you. But if you look at the plans, they are actually calling for a bus station on site, which presumably will be served with shuttles to Caltran and provide connections to the regional bus system.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a suburban design. Much of the suburban development in this country is auto-centric to the exclusion of everything else and just piss poor planning and design, but that's not what you're seeing here. If you live in a nearby urban center with good connectivity, you'll have no problem reaching the Apple campus on transit. And that's what counts.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
I don't care how many trees you plant, when 13,000 people go to work in one building there will be an impact on congestion for surrounding streets.

You do realize that there is already an existing HP facility on this campus that houses 1000s of employees? Yes, they'll soon move out to make room for this new campus but it won't have a major impact on overall population.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Closed means if you do not have a legitimate business reason for being on the campus (or are not the guest of an Apple employee), you are trespassing.

Most office buildings don't have fences around them and this one won't either. You don't need a fence to make a building closed or non-public.

There's no fence that surrounds HP, Intel, Google, Cisco, whatever.

There will be a visitor lobby for people with a legitimate reason to be on the property (e.g., if you have a meeting with someone). There will be a loading dock if you are a vendor making a delivery (e.g., you are Greenleaf Produce and delivering veggies for the employee cafeteria).

Same with Google. There's no fence that surrounds the Amphitheater Technology Center (a.k.a. the Googleplex). There's actually a city park adjacent to the property and the transition is unencumbered by a fence.

Unlike Apple's headquarters at 1 Infinite Loop in Cupertino, there is no company store at Google's Mountain View HQ. If you do not have a legitimate business reason to be on the Google campus, or you aren't a guest of a Google employee, you are trespassing. The public is free to enjoy the park though.

The grounds are for the enjoyment of Apple employees, approved visitors, etc. There's no reason why the public should be allowed access to private property, just like I shouldn't be allowed to walk into your backyard and sit by your swimming pool.

Note that the Campus 2 design replaces existing office buildings, rather mundane ones with the typical sea of street level parking and some trees for shade. Having underground parking allows for more effective use of the land, just like the Googleplex.

By concentrating more employees in one large building, Apple can improve logistics in certain ways. A large cafeteria with more dining options can be built, versus having a few smaller eating facilities scattered about the various satellite buildings.

Also, connections to public transit systems (VTA Light Rail, Caltrain) are more feasible since the shuttle buses would not have to make multiple stops at various buildings. The shuttle buses can quickly get onto I-280 then head up 85 to drop off passengers at the Mountain View transit center (plus, it's the reverse commute).

It's interesting that there appears to be a high-security zone in the southeast corner of the property. Research buildings and the corporate auditorium are in the area.

Last edited:

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Looks good, but building all of those curves...

They will need to deal with the parking, and improving the commute between the two buildings.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
There's a dedicated four-story parking structure in the current plans.

There will be shuttle bus service between 1 Infinite Loop and Campus 2. Just show your Apple badge to the driver when you climb aboard. If you look at the brochure, there's a Corporate Transit Center.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
This is a great project, will create jobs and improve the job offerings for higher educated people.

The integration with landscape is great, and the architecture very interesting.

Too bad nobody will really be able to see it as it's a closed facility.

The sending out of report cards is great. Sometimes you can adjust a project slightly (without negative effects on it) and do away with negative impacts on neighbors. A great idea. I wish this would happen in residential areas where some people are reckless, always placing their air conditioning units to the property borders, so that their neighbors heir the hum, but not they themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.