Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ds1.jpg

Matrox has announced a new Thunderbolt docking station for MacBooks and Ultrabooks.
From a single Thunderbolt connection, users can add multiple peripherals including a large DVI or HDMI® display, a full-size keyboard, and a mouse. A gigabit Ethernet port provides connectivity to a wired corporate network, enabling data transfers 18 times faster than Wi-Fi(TM). One SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port, two USB 2.0 ports, a microphone input, and a speaker/headphone output are also provided. With its solid aluminum construction, yet sleek design, Matrox DS1 is ideal for office, dorm, or home use.
At a proposed price of $249, the Matrox DS-1 comes in cheaper than Belkin's $299 solution that is due this fall. Matrox's unit lacks a couple of ports (additional Thunderbolt, and Firewire) that are found on Belkin's dock. The DS-1 comes with DVI, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0, (2) USB 2.0, Audio Output, Audio Input, and Power connectors:

DS1_image_text-500x230.jpg

The Matrox does carry a high speed USB 3.0 port that is absent on Belkin's unit. The addition of that port may make the dock more appealing to PC/Ultrabook customers. It's not clear, however, from Matrox's site if the USB 3.0 port is functional on a Mac. (*Update)

In the past, USB 3.0 support on the Mac has required the installation of 3rd party drivers. These drivers are generally provided by the hardware manufacturer.

Apple has been rumored to be including USB 3.0 support in their next generation MacBook Pros which are due this summer. If that does come to pass, the USB 3.0 port on Matrox's dock may work with Apple's own bundled USB 3.0 drivers.

The Matrox DS-1 Thunderbolt docking station will be available worldwide in September for $249.

Update: Matrox has informed us that MacBooks will be able to take advantage of the USB 3.0 port.

Article Link: Matrox Announces DS-1 Thunderbolt Docking Station for $249

magnus55

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2010
Germany
249 € and this thing is as ugly as possible? Well, at least it got TWO ridiculously large Matrox logos.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Nice looking product, a little pricey though and doesn't really offer that many ports. Only three USB? I'll pass

I'm still waiting for those external graphics cards. Something like that with a Mac Mini or Macbook Air would be so awesome.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Great product! :) I could really use one of these, been thinking about upgrading my Air to the upcoming model.

Insane price :( 249 for a dock is just not reasonable... For that money I'll plug a few more cables by hand.

M.a.r.k.

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
249 € and this thing is as ugly as possible? Well, at least it got TWO ridiculously large Matrox logos.

that's exactly what I thought!
How come everything TB is so expensive? Licensing fees? Or the low volume?

88 King

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
London, UK
What is the point of getting this device? $250 + $50 cable to get the advantage of 1 USB 3 over the current mac models.

When Apple update their machines with USB 3, this product will be nothing but an expensive paper weight.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
that's exactly what I thought!
How come everything TB is so expensive? Licensing fees? Or the low volume?

I'd say maybe a combination, but for sure low volume plays a role. It's a new technology and TB is kind of just starting to circulate more and more. The demand is not quite there, give it some time.

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
What is the point of getting this device? $250 + $50 cable to get the advantage of 1 USB 3 over the current mac models.

When Apple update their machines with USB 3, this product will be nothing but an expensive paper weight.

still cheaper than buying a new mac :rolleyes:

jumanji

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
Austin, TX
This says it supports HDMI, but I'm not seeing an HDMI port on there. Do you need to convert from DVI or HDMI? That would be silly.

probably. i would have like either an HDMI or another DVI port on there or mini DP (or all 3). i'm all about dual monitors with my macbook. it certainly has the space.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Belkin is superior IMO.

Firewire
Thunderbolt Pass Through
Better looks

I like the USB 3.0 but if TB peripherals come down in price i'd rather get the extra speed.

LeoCastillo

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Strange

I'm not sure I get the appeal for this product.
You can simply:

- get a USB hub if you wanted more ports
- use a dongle for DVI
- use a dongle for ethernet

All will cost less than $249. If it had another thunderbolt and firewire it would make sense, but without it, I don't get it.

Leo

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
No firewire in either flavor,
No HDMI,
Only 3 USB ports,
and why have the TB port on the front and everything else on the back?

Think I'll pass...

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I hope these come under $100 soon, as someone who is almost always docked on my large monitor this would be a great replacement to my bunch of cables.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.