Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeromeus

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
SOCAL
I'm glad it's selling well... It might go the way of the Air...

When the Air first arrived... the base price was 1799! Look at it now! $999 for the base model. One Apple gets all the kinks ironed out and everything, prices will come down. I believe the first set of people have to pay that price because they're the ones paying for R&D... Next year, all those parts would be more readily available and they'll drop the price like crazy. I just ordered my new MBA yesterday... I'll wait until the MBPR reaches that affordable price before I jump again. I got the MBA for its portability now that I'm back to school. Since I'm an EdTech major, I can justify getting a new MBA.

2crazy

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2012
Saint Louis
After many complains in the threads yesterday about price and ports and other stuff, this just proves that people will buy anything Apple branded in a heartbeat!

This is definitely not true in my case. The MBP Retina is exactly what I was hoping for. Ivy Bridge, 15", Nvidia graphics, slimmer design, no CD/DVD, Retina Display, USB3.0 and at least 8GB RAM. I didn't think it would happen though. The new MBP is expensive, but so is every Apple computer.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I don't use those apps, so I can't comment, but it's the same card as the old design Macbook Pros though. It's obviously not a reason they kept the old MBPs around. Neither is the lack of a second flash drive...

Incremental upgrades could include a 2 GB card, so maybe you'll be in luck.

Yah I think a 2GB card is coming...especially when games and other apps take advantage of that screen, a 1GB card is not going to cut it.

And the next gen Intel chips will be a big upgrade with the 'Tock' to Haswell. I think that is when we have the 'ultimate' MBProRetina. So next June...

AppleDude

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2006
One Exception

=Early estimates came in at 5-7 business days yesterday before moving to 7-10 business days and finally settling late yesterday at 2-3 weeks.

There was at least one exception to that. I made my order about 1:00 p.m. Pacific Time yesterday and was given "3-5 weeks." The strange thing is when walked through the same BTO after work, the estimate was "2-3 weeks."

I called Apple and asked, "my current order status online shows 3-5 weeks but when walking through the same order now, I am getting 2-3 weeks. Does this mean if I cancel my order and re-order, I will receive by MBP 1-2 weeks earlier?" The rep said it appeared so and suggested I do that:confused:.

The online store wouldn't let me cancel my order so I let it be. Just as well, it may have have resulted in my losing my place in line and taking longer.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Kind of Nuts... If I'm going to spend that much on a laptop, I'd like to try it out first...

Luckily with Apple, you have 14 days to decide whether you want to keep it or not. :) (No, I didn't order one, I'm looking at an 11" MBA. :D )

asiafish

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
It most ways it surely is. But I must admit, a very good case can be made that it’s NOT the best laptop ever. In some regards, yesterday's new MacBook Air is :)

I agree. The 11" MacBook Air is, BY FAR, the best laptop available anywhere at any price (for me).

I had the original 2010 model and it was fantastic. Since it was stolen at the airport last November and TSA bought me a replacement, I have greatly enjoyed the 2011 model. The 2012 model is extremely exciting, but to me what is even more exciting is the announced Thunderbolt to FireWire 800 adapter. With that baby, my 2011 Air only sacrifices a bit of power that I honestly don't need.

As for the new Retina Pro, again it is VERY impressive, but I really don't need it. I own a Mid-2010 15" with the high-resolution antiglare display. Yes, its processor (original 2.6 GHz Core i7) and nVidia 330M GT (512MB) are now two-years-old and thoroughly outdated, but they are close enough to not really affect anything I am likely to do except perhaps high-end games in Windows, where, for now at least, that new retina display will be a disadvantage until the drivers catch up.

I plan on waiting until 2014 to replace my MacBook Pro and probably 2015 to replace my Air, so long as both remain responsive with the latest and greatest OS and software.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Waiting for ship-to-store to be available so I can get 16GB RAM. I'm temporarily staying in someone else's apartment in a high-sales-tax state, so I want to pick up in DE to avoid the hassle of picking up the shipment and about $200 in sales tax :eek:

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
When I placed my order last night it clearly said shipping in 7-10 business days with delivery at the end of the month.

Then I woke up to an email saying it had already shipped. Maybe those 2-3 week estimates are just very conservative.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
Actually, it went from "5-7 business days" to "2-3 weeks" yesterday afternoon Pacific time. I know because I was calling stores to see if they had the new Retina MBP, but every store only had the "regular" updated MBPs, so I finally ordered online last night and it had switched to 2-3 weeks then.

We're talking around 4pm Pacific (7pm Eastern), so it wasn't even that late. I tweeted about it when I found out, so I can look for the exact time if need be. Have we come to the point where we have to stand in line to buy Macs??? :eek:

asiafish

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
I'm actually a little surprised. I thought the price tag would give more people pause. Glad to hear the economy is healthy!

In any case, I just upgraded last year so I won't even consider an upgrade until next year unless they release a 13" MBP with 1440x900 resolution sooner, (or a 13" Retina with 2880x1800) which seems very unlikely.

They did release a 13" with 1440X900, TWO-YEARS-AGO. Its called the 13" MacBook Air and it is a fantastic machine.

asiafish

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
So damn cheeky that you can't upgrade the SDD on the cheaper model.

I don't need all the other bells and whistles but I have to shell out £500 to get an extra 256 GB.

I never thought of Apple as a company that push their customers to a more expensive product in this way when they don't really need it.

Its such a superb product and will more than exceed my expectations. Just a shame its so expensive.

Why not just buy your own SSD and install it yourself? Apple's old-style MacBook Pros are very easy to upgrade RAM and HD.

My 2010 MacBook Pro 15 was upgraded from 4GB to 8GB RAM for less than $100 (Crucial.com) and has a 1TB HDD and 256MB SSD (replaced the optical drive) for roughly $400 in last-year's prices. Not sure about the upgradeability of the new MBPR, but the traditional MBP is very easy and inexpensive to configure, so long as you do it yourself instead of through Apple.

----------

When the Air first arrived... the base price was 1799! Look at it now! $999 for the base model. One Apple gets all the kinks ironed out and everything, prices will come down. I believe the first set of people have to pay that price because they're the ones paying for R&D... Next year, all those parts would be more readily available and they'll drop the price like crazy. I just ordered my new MBA yesterday... I'll wait until the MBPR reaches that affordable price before I jump again. I got the MBA for its portability now that I'm back to school. Since I'm an EdTech major, I can justify getting a new MBA.

The new maxed-out MBA is, in my opinion, even more impressive than the new Retina MBP. An 11", 2.4 lb laptop with a fast i7, 8 GB RAM and a 512 GB SSD likely result in a faster laptop than the very fastest MBP of two-years-ago, even with the (much-improved) integrated graphics. I'd buy one, but my maxed-out 2011 model 11" Air is still everything I want in a laptop and thus not yet ready for replacement. Perhaps next revision or the one after that.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
Rev. A is never really cool... I'm waiting for some benchmarks, to see people complain about different things that are not functioning as intended and that the bottom is so hot that you can't keep it on your lap.

Once those things get somewhat smoothened out ( "partially-fixed" ) then I'll order the maxed out version...

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Someone tell me about the experience of switching from windows to os x because god damn this laptop is just too sexy for a rash withdrawal from my wallet :(

asiafish

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Price and return on investment

Funny how everyone complains about how expensive Apple laptops are, while ignoring the fact that other premium-grade laptops from the competition are just as expensive. Look at a Lenovo ThinkPad W-series workstation and you will find prices just as high as Apple charges for a MacBook Pro with comparable specs. Compare the prices of ultrabooks with the MacBook Air and you will pay just as much for a Windows ultrabook as the equivalent Air, or in some cases even more.

Of course Apple gear is expensive, it is premium stuff. Apple doesn't compete with the bargain ranges from their competitors, but with their premium, high-end lines.

Funny thing is that with high-end gear comes a better return on investment. I used to buy high-end IBM and later Lenovo ThinkPads, and generally would sell them after two years for half of what I paid. I also (still) buy and us Apple laptops (since 1993) and generally keep them for two years, then pass them to a family member for two years, and then sell it at age 4 and get back 60% of the original purchase price. NO OTHER LAPTOP COMES CLOSE TO APPLE FOR RESALE VALUE.

I was very eagerly waiting for the new MBP announcement because my current MacBook Pro is now two-years-old and therefore ready to pass on. The new model looks great, but I decided to get the latest of the original style 15" MacBook Pros. After ordering the high-configuration of the old-style 15", I then fired-up my 2010 model to play some games.

I played DragonAge 2 on OS X and then Mass Effect 3 on Windows 7, with the settings set to very high detail, and realized that even at two-years-old, my current MacBook Pro remains more than powerful enough for everything I do. I cancelled my order and will likely use my current MBP for another year before passing it down.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Someone tell me about the experience of switching from windows to os x because god damn this laptop is just too sexy for a rash withdrawal from my wallet :(

kinda of how you felt when you got your first iphone, but multiplied 100fold. Though I would not suggest the mbpr, but rather a pimped-out mba 11". Unless you are a non-linear editor, motion graphics artist, 3d sculptor, or pro-gamer.

If you need a laptop just to be mobile, mba is the way to go.

edit: honestly, cs5.5, c4d, zbrush among others work ok on the tiny laptop for quick artistic expressions. Renderings, meeh, if its faaaar too complicated, but you can setup the basics and migrate the project to a proper system later on either for renderings or finalization. Screen estate is an issue, but that depends on your needs on the go.

----------

#firstworldproblems

nice one!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.