Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeromeus

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
SOCAL
I haven't notice a difference when using OSX... Windows 7 seems to make a difference

Thanks! Do Macbooks tend to retain their operating capabilities to a good level after some years due to hardware and os?

On my iMac, everything runs perfectly well with both OSX and Windows 7.

On my MacBook Pro, I definitely noticed that it runs hotter with windows 7 installed. I've yet tried vacuuming the vents, though. Perhaps taking a huge vacuum and suck out all the debris might help it run faster and cooler.

As far as speed, I can't really tell you since I've updated the OS 3 times on my machines. The speed might have been affected by the OS more than the hardware.

I can tell you that after all these years, my machines run perfectly well, though. Compared to the Windows machines which I had to replace components here and there quite often, the Mac definitely is worth every penny. My 3 year old HP desktop had to have the video card replaced once after about 6 months and then again after 2 years. I'm good now, though.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I guess demand early on is high

I'll be picking up a cheap refurb 11" air, hoping that a 13" retina display mbp comes out next summer

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd that the non retina MBPs can only go to 8GB of RAM? So if you want/need lots of RAM, you must pay a penalty of getting multiple adapters (firewire, ethernet, ect)

The non-retina models are designed for the common user and rarely do they need more than 8gb

----------

After all of the OCD people in the iPad forums freaking out about the slightest imperfection in their new iPad retina screen, this is going to be interesting to see people freaking out about their MBP screens. "ZOMG! LIGHT BLEEDING! I GOTZ A YELLOWISH SCREEN!!!11"

What about that one random dead pixel.

----------

Someone tell me about the experience of switching from windows to os x because god damn this laptop is just too sexy for a rash withdrawal from my wallet :(

If you are pretty good with computers and you can replace your needed apps it's not that hard. I've even done PC to Mac data transfers with the whole migration assistant myself (Ethernet if you can cause wifi is slow)

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
That surprised me - however, Apple's going rate for a 256GB SSD bump alone is £400 (look at the BTO options for the more expensive "retina" and the top-of-ther-range Air), so getting the faster processor as well for £100 more is probably the best value.

Also, Apple will be looking at their logistics and trying to keep the number of BTO variations as small as possible.

The best value is the retina...
Which is a ridiculous concept.

If you build a 2.3Ghz Fatbook and want the 256Gig SSD, 8 gigs of ram, and "Hi-res" display...
- $2,500

Same specs on Retinabook
- $2,200

Build a 2.7Ghz 512GB SSD Fatbook w/ "hi-res"
- $3,450

Retinabook (with double the RAM!)
- $3,250

Of course, flash memory is different.
I'm waiting to see if the Fatbook can actually have RAIDed SSDs.

The BTO options have gotten more limited.
For example I would take the 2.7GHz w/ 4GB ram and a 128GB SSD Fatbook (upgrade 3rd party ram and SSD)... But 4GB is limited to the 2.3Ghz.

The idiots on here pleading for 8GB standard got their wish.
Congratulations, you now get to pay their inflated BTO prices...STANDARD

Ok so how about a 2.7 Retinabook w/ 256GB?...
NOPE.

There is only one excuse...
$$$$$
To kill OWC.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

darwinian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
In R4, more or less
So the reduction in thickness, removal of optical drive, addition of USB3, flash storage, and retina screen all aren't natural developments for the previous generation MBPs?

What would make this a non-interim/developmental device?

Perhaps. But the thing that makes this interesting (in my mind) is that this is arguably the first significant improvement on the unibody design since it was released for the MBP in what, 2008. Sure an MBA got some treatment over time, but by and large the unibody process---and more importantly all of the engineering design it takes to make a heat-moving functional computer---has not changed greatly. There is a real beauty in the unibody design, not just in external aesthetics but in all of the technology that was invented to achieve the thinness and heat dissipation qualities of this lightweight and insanely strong/rigid machine.

treminaor

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2009
3-4 weeks now. Demand must be crazy.

The question is why they didn't anticipate it. I mean seriously, this is the biggest update to the Macbook Pro in recent years, they had to expect at least a large fraction of the current demand given how many years they've been releasing new products on the market in the past. I'm just pissed that Schiller got me excited with "And the best part is, these are shipping TODAY" - yeah, maybe for about 1,000 people but everyone else is waiting a week or more :mad:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
it's simple

3-4 weeks now. Demand must be crazy.

The question is why they didn't anticipate it. I mean seriously, this is the biggest update to the Macbook Pro in recent years, they had to expect at least a large fraction of the current demand given how many years they've been releasing new products on the market in the past. I'm just pissed that Schiller got me excited with "And the best part is, these are shipping TODAY" - yeah, maybe for about 1,000 people but everyone else is waiting a week or more :mad:

Because long queues are free advertising.

punchwalk

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Maryland, USA
I'm actually a little surprised. I thought the price tag would give more people pause. Glad to hear the economy is healthy!

In any case, I just upgraded last year so I won't even consider an upgrade until next year unless they release a 13" MBP with 1440x900 resolution sooner (or a 13" Retina with 2880x1800), which seems very unlikely.
They did release a 13" with 1440X900, TWO-YEARS-AGO. Its called the 13" MacBook Air and it is a fantastic machine.

Please look more closely at my original post before you flame me; I said a 13" MBP, not just a 13" Apple notebook. I made that distinction intentionally; I'm well aware of the Air and it's a fine machine but I prefer the Pro.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
and people claim the economy is bad :p:D

Too bad i'm still a student, that retina mbp is still far far away from my budget

LMFAO

For somebody who has this as his signature :

iPhone 4 - 16 GB (5.1) MacBook Pro 5,5 - Lion iPad 2 - 64 GB Wifi (5.1.1 JB) iPhone 4S - 32 GB (5.1.1 JB) iPod Nano - 6th Gen

And I remember a post from you where you said you changed your iPhone 4s from a black one to a white one.
You shouldn't go out clubbing:eek:
Oh, you are so poor:rolleyes:

dvs1

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
I actually did a chat last night and they told me it maxes at 8GB....

I will hope thats wrong but we will have to wait and see

.. I too hope that's wrong!
Any info on those new non-retina mbp's RAM true possibilities very welcome!

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
When I placed my order last night it clearly said shipping in 7-10 business days with delivery at the end of the month.

Then I woke up to an email saying it had already shipped. Maybe those 2-3 week estimates are just very conservative.

... yes!!!! As was the case with my new iPad - it said 2 weeks, then shipped in like 2 days.
That's why I am checking the freaking order page about every 5 minutes... even though it says 3-5 weeks for me... :(

I guess it didn't help I customized it a bit, max. RAM, English keyboard (I am in Asia). Still... it'll all be worth it, whatever, can't wait.

[refreshes order page... still 3-5 weeks... damn....]

Important: The RAM in this laptop is not upgradeable, and neither is the SSD. So better max it out when you order. I imagine that OWC will eventually provide SSD boards for it, so SSDs should be fine. But soldered-on RAM is going to be a PITA to ever upgrade, so get the 16GB.

orthorim

Suspended
Feb 27, 2008
Because long queues are free advertising.

I don't think it's either good or bad. For every person reading about tight availability and getting interested, there's going to be two who need a laptop now and are going to get something else. Not that there is anything like this.

But I think mainly it has to do with production. Ramping up production for the launch, then scaling down again for running sales is surely what they're doing, but it's not like you can easily go from 10 assembly lines to 1, not for a complex product like this.

People forget that this cutting edge stuff is actually very hard to produce, and Apple is keeping only 2 days or so inventory, so once they've sold off the stockpile they made for launch day, they are restricted in their ability to make more. They've already sold as many as they can possibly make in about 4 weeks running full tilt.

And that's assuming there's no shortages of crucial components, e.g. retina displays which have never been made before in this size and quality.

----------

.. I too hope that's wrong!
Any info on those new non-retina mbp's RAM true possibilities very welcome!

Ever though of checking the specs on Apple.com?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.