Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skuid87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
:(

After waiting anxiously for my new 2012 MacBook Air and tracking the shipment everyday, it finally arrived. I was so excited, took it right to my room and proceeded to carefully unbox my lovely new machine.

I take it out of the box, gently take off the plastic, and lift the screen with one finger. I then switched it on, as my finger lifted after pressing the power button, i saw it. A tiny dent, in my brand new, freshly built from the factory MacBook, that I've just paid over £1000 for! I'm SO disappointed.

Now, it really is tiny, but the fact is that I've paid for a Premium product. It should be perfect. Most people probably wouldn't care but it really does bother me. I've been looking forward to getting a MBA for a long time and I don't think I should have to make do with ANY faults, not matter how small.

I'm going to take it to the Apple Store tomorrow, but I'm worried about what they'll say. What if they blame me for it? How do I prove that it was like this out the box? Anyone else here had a similar problem? How did Apple deal with you?

Here's a picture, you can see the dent just above the thunderbolt port:
IMG_2559.jpg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Take it back, no reason you should accept such a defect when it wasn't your fault. I know it bites, but that is really your only option

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Just take it back and tell them your story. My best guess is they will just return it and give you a new one (assuming its in stock)

skuid87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Just take it back and tell them your story. My best guess is they will just return it and give you a new one (assuming its in stock)

Well, that's one of the things I'm worried about. If they do agree to replace it, I'll have to wait another couple weeks as this is not a stock model. It has the upgraded RAM which means that another order will have to placed by them and I'll have to wait a while before a new one comes.

Unless they let me keep this one and exchange with the new one when it arrives..?

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
Well, that's one of the things I'm worried about. If they do agree to replace it, I'll have to wait another couple weeks as this is not a stock model. It has the upgraded RAM which means that another order will have to placed by them and I'll have to wait a while before a new one comes.

Unless they let me keep this one and exchange with the new one when it arrives..?

you could order another one, and then return the dented one to get a full refund. You have 14 days to do this.

skuid87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
you could order another one, and then return the dented one to get a full refund. You have 14 days to do this.

Hmm... that's true. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

But would they charge me the shipping costs for the refund? How does this work? Would they arrange/pay for a courier to pick it up?

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Would be best to take it to an apple store. Just ask them what the best route to take would be. They know what they're doing, it's what they're good at.

jgo78

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Hmm... that's true. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

But would they charge me the shipping costs for the refund? How does this work? Would they arrange/pay for a courier to pick it up?

i did this when i had problems with my iMac. they'll charge you full price for a second one but when you return the defective one you get your money back so there's no loss at all. They pay for the shipping, they'll send you labels to attach to the box then you can just drop it off at any drop off location.

BNHabs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Honestly, I will just keep it.

These are manufactured, not individually made by hand.

Your next Macbook Air will have another small 'flaw'. If it's not a dent, it'll be a mark, key scratched etc

skuid87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Honestly, I will just keep it.

These are manufactured, not individually made by hand.

Your next Macbook Air will have another small 'flaw'. If it's not a dent, it'll be a mark, key scratched etc

I have considered that. And I know it's tiny. But it really does bother me. Might seem petty but the way I see it, £1000 is ALOT of money for me. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to expect a perfect product.

BNHabs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
I have considered that. And I know it's tiny. But it really does bother me. Might seem petty but the way I see it, £1000 is ALOT of money for me. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to expect a perfect product.

I understand.

When you get it replaced, note that you are more then likely to get a new one that has another small flaw. Might be a lot less evident though

rygamble

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2012
You should see what SSD and screen it has. If it has both Samsung, definitely best to keep it.

Zzari

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2012
Seattle, WA
Why's that then? :confused:

The Samsung SSD is slightly faster than the Toshiba SSD and the Samsung screen is generally preferred over the LG screen. If you got a Samsung SSD and Samsung screen, you're lucky. If you exchange it you might get a worse screen and/or SSD.

skuid87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
The Samsung SSD is slightly faster than the Toshiba SSD and the Samsung screen is generally preferred over the LG screen. If you got a Samsung SSD and Samsung screen, you're lucky. If you exchange it you might get a worse screen and/or SSD.

Is this conclusive or just speculative?

Also, how do I check?

JBST

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012

very tough choice... I completely agree that by paying the premium you are completely entitled to expect a perfect product without marks or stretch etc. but on the other hand there is the time factor and hassle. Made me wonder what would I do if I were in your situation.

I probably would sit on it for a few days and to does that still bothers me. If yes, I will return it.

Why's that then? :confused:

I think he meant you should kept it IF the screen and SSD are both samsung. As some people believe that the samsung screen and SSD are superior (or more comfortable) than the LG screen and Toshiba ssd. In case you swapped your Samsung+Samsung to LG+Toshiba.

Also, how do I check?

In terms of the SSD, samsung has a better write speed compared to toshiba, that is a fact. In terms of the screen, rather than speculative, it is rather more SUBJECTIVE. It seems that some people are ok with the LG screen and some just cannot bear it.

OK campers - we are back to this...Just got my new 2012 Macbook Air 11" i7 256GB SSD/8GB RAM

I knew immediately that the LCD was a bit flat (or less contrast) as well as some blacks appeared more blue. After checking, I found that my new 2012 Macbook Air has a LG screen. I compared it to my Mid-2011 Macbook Air i7 (which has a Samsung LCD) and the 2011 had more contrast, etc.

Not that the LG screens are bad or anything, it is I am just use to the Samsung screen I have in my 2011 and do not want to go through the calibrations. Personal choice, Just like the Samsung better.

You can see what your LCD manufacturer is by doing the following:

Launch the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/)
Copy and paste the following command onto a single line and hit return:

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Read the output, you are looking for an “LP” prefix to numbers reported back:
LP133WP1-TJA3
Color LCD

If the prefix is not “LP” then you have a Samsung display and there’s no need to use the color profile or to follow the rest of the instructions, if it does start with LP (like the example shown), then proceed

Last edited:

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
I would buy the laptop from the store next time, not online. I've had bad experiences online - they 2 out of 3 times they've shipped me a lemon and when I worked at the Apple Store, I saw a lot of BTOs come back - which we couldn't return at the time. Talk about pissing your customers off. Plus, when you buy in the store you can immediately open it and inspect it.

Zzari

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2012
Seattle, WA

Also, how do I check?

The SSD is conclusive - benchmarks show higher speeds with the Samsung. As for the screen, most (read: almost everyone) would prefer the Samsung panel to the LG panel. The Samsung has better color reproduction and brightness, but the LG has arguably better contrast (once a good calibration profile is loaded).

To check the SSD you can do the following: Open the disk utility application (in applications > utilities > disk utility). Your drive should be labeled as a 128GB [Insert Model # Here]. If the model # begins with SM, your drive is a Samsung. If it doesn't begin with SM, it's a Toshiba.

As for the screen, open the terminal (applications > utilities > terminal). Copy and paste the following, then hit return(enter):

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

If the model it spits back out at you begins with "LP," you have a LG screen. If it doesn't begin with LP, you have the Samsung.

skuid87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
I would buy the laptop from the store next time, not online. I've had bad experiences online - they 2 out of 3 times they've shipped me a lemon and when I worked at the Apple Store, I saw a lot of BTOs come back - which we couldn't return at the time. Talk about pissing your customers off. Plus, when you buy in the store you can immediately open it and inspect it.

I would have preferred to buy in store but they just don't stock the one I wanted. I wen't for 13" Base spec with upgraded RAM. I checked at a few stores and they all said I had to order online.

Do you know if I can refund an online order at an Apple Store? Or will it have to couriered back to the Online store?

Zzari

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2012
Seattle, WA
I would have preferred to buy in store but they just don't stock the one I wanted. I wen't for 13" Base spec with upgraded RAM. I checked at a few stores and they all said I had to order online.

Do you know if I can refund an online order at an Apple Store? Or will it have to couriered back to the Online store?

You can return an online order in the store.

dgnr8

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
I ordered a refurb Macbook Air last week and it came with a light scratch. I called in and not only did they send a replacement but they gave me the $105 Knomo bag for free as well. Just call, they are very helpful. Don't got to the store, even the guy on the phone told me it would be a waste of time. He called and they told him that they couldn't help me.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
It is not a flaw. It is not an imperfection. It is damaged. I plan to resell mine next year, and something like that would knock 5% or more off the value. Unacceptable. Mine would go back immediately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.