Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Not a shock here as Verizon is pushing their LTE devices. Since the current iPhones aren't LTE, I'm surprised it lasted this long.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
there's no real difference between my 2 year old phone and apple's most up to date phone.
It's almost like Apple is starting to follow Intel's Tick-Tock cycle. Major change one year (iPhone 3G, iPhone 4), incremental improvements the following year (iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4s). Repeat.

Wonder if that has anything to do with 99.9% of people being stuck in 2-year contracts?

Doesn't make sense for people like you that have to upgrade every year, but for folks coming out of a 2-year contract, the iPhone 4s is most definitely a better phone than the iPhone 4.

carbonrain

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011
Austin, TX
"The news comes by way of a research note from William Blair's Anil Doradla."

Anil Doradla... ...is an anagram for All Android... something's fishy...

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
While I think it's ridiculous that you expect a major upgrade on every model they release, there is a little truth in what you say.

I don't. I do however expect that a phone released in June 2010 and the most current phone in June 2012 should have significant differences between them.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
This isn't suprising. Had a relative go to a Verizon store to get an iPhone (not guided by me) and they actively turned her around into an android phone (which she eventually disliked for being glitchy, not sure if that was installed junk on it or what).

So yeah, the current phone has been out a long time and Verizon is actively having their store salesfolks steer customers into android instead...its amazing the iPhone is still number 2 considering the headwinds its facing from Verizon corporate and sales staff.

1. Um, Verizon salespeople are TRAINED to NOT LET ANY CUSTOMERS WALK OUT THE DOOR WITH an iPhone. Have any of you actually tried to walk into a Verizon store and purchase an iPhone? It is IMPOSSIBLE. I've tried it on 8 occasions, and Fortune Magazine documents this as well. It is IMPOSSIBLE to do so. Go ahead... I DARE YOU to walk into a Verizon store and try to purchase an iPhone.
2. Furthermore, Verizon salespeople make $75 commission on every NON-iPhone that they sell, but they only make a $5 commission on every iPhone they sell.
3. Verizon salespeople are BERATED by their managers and given WARNINGS if they sell an iPhone.

So it makes perfect sense that the iPhone isn't their best-selling device. This has been Verizon's plan all along.

WHY?

Because once people love the iPhone, they are loyal to the phone and not the carrier. The iPhone relegates Verizon to the dumb pipe that they are, and they don't like that one bit.

I was getting calls weekly from Verizon to "upgrade" to a Droid. I finally asked them to stop calling, I'll upgrade when the new iPhone is released. The sales rep on the phone then went into how much better the new droids are than the iPhone, etc. I laughed and said thanks, but don't worry, I'll be preordering the new iPhone the moment I am able to, and asked to not be called about it again. It's been just over a week, so we shall see.

aajeev

macrumors regular
May 7, 2008
1. Um, Verizon salespeople are TRAINED to NOT LET ANY CUSTOMERS WALK OUT THE DOOR WITH an iPhone. Have any of you actually tried to walk into a Verizon store and purchase an iPhone? It is IMPOSSIBLE. I've tried it on 8 occasions, and Fortune Magazine documents this as well. It is IMPOSSIBLE to do so. Go ahead... I DARE YOU to walk into a Verizon store and try to purchase an iPhone.
2. Furthermore, Verizon salespeople make $75 commission on every NON-iPhone that they sell, but they only make a $5 commission on every iPhone they sell.
3. Verizon salespeople are BERATED by their managers and given WARNINGS if they sell an iPhone.

So it makes perfect sense that the iPhone isn't their best-selling device. This has been Verizon's plan all along.

WHY?

Because once people love the iPhone, they are loyal to the phone and not the carrier. The iPhone relegates Verizon to the dumb pipe that they are, and they don't like that one bit.

I have no idea what you are talking about, and this is coming from a three times experience. I switched from ATT to Verizon, when iPhone 4 first came out on Verizon. Walk into the store ask for one and 20 minutes later walked out with one. A month later, went back to Verizon store asked for another iPhone (switching my sister from ATT to Verizon), again walked out with an iPhone. Four month later did the same for my fiancé. So really I have no idea where your claim is coming from, I asked for an iPhone and their question was "what color and how big the memory you want?". Every single time, from three different time period. Also, between two different stores more than 200 miles apart.

BTW, not a single time was I told or the word Android was mentioned to me.

Last edited:

zeromeus

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
SOCAL
The iPhone sells itself... no need to promote it...

Our local Verizon store didn't even mention the iPhone when I went into the store to sign up for a plan; in fact, I had to ask them about the iPhone because they were only pushing Droids.

[Edit: There wasn't even an iPhone on display in the store.]

You just proved to them that they don't need to market or advertise or even display the iPhone. It's so popular people would ask for it. Why waste a phone that they could sell by displaying it?

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009

WHY?

I have never had issues getting a verizon iphone. I've had one myself, and I have been with 4 other people who bought one in the store.

Go in, say you want the iphone, and you're good to go.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I don't care if Droid Rzr Maxx is the bestselling phone on Verizon, but was not said that bringing the iPhone to Verizon would crush Android sales?

ucantgetridofme

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2011
Wow, didn't even have iPhones on display, that's amazing hubris on Verizon's part.

Verizon definitely isn't a partner of Apple's. Verizon is lucky Steve isn't still around, he really reacted badly when folks tried to screw his business.

Like I said previously, had a relative go to Verizon recently to specifically get an iPhone and the sales staff actively steered her around to an android - to get an iPhone at Verizon you have to insist on it (and possibly not have one to play with). Amazing its still phone number 2 for them.

Iphones are so expensive the carriers aren't making any money off them. It's going to take years for Verizon and Sprint just to break even. I don't blame these carriers for blackballing the iphone and pushing Android handsets, it's too expensive. Apple is their own worst enemy sometimes.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
It needs a UI revamp BADLYYYYYYYY. and also quicker acess to Bluetooth and etc.

Dammit, all I want is the freaking ability to remove the Stock, Weather, Voice Memos, and Compass apps!!! I can't believe we're five years into iOS and I still cannot choose which apps I want off MY phone.

Other than that, I have no complaints. Sure, I'd like to see iOS drastically change (it's getting a little long in the tooth) and I'm also praying that the longer-but-not-wider screen rumors are nothing more than that: rumors.

EDIT: I also want that wretched Newsstand off of my iPhone/iPad. :)

Last edited:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
As ignorant as this sounds on the surface, it makes good business sense. Its not about the device quality. Its about making money. Verizon pays less for an Android device, and therefore pays less in subsidy to the device manufacturer. More people on Android means more profit for the carrier.

Both the iPhone and the Droid make Verizon about $90 a month from each customer. That's the business Verizon is in... selling expensive contracts.

I often hear that the iPhone costs Verizon more money to subsidize.

But in this thread I also heard that Verizon gives $75 to a salesperson to sell a non-iPhone.

So how much difference does that make in the end?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
The screen on the RAZR may not be industry-leading, but it doesn't mean that it isn't still good for most tasks.

Let me put it this way. The screen on every other major smartphone (apple, samsung, htc, nokia) out there is better.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Apple should update their phones every 6-8 months. The 4S would have been better received with this life cycle.
With the US cellular companies' system, you can only upgrade every two years without wasting money. Relax.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
It's almost like Apple is starting to follow Intel's Tick-Tock cycle. Major change one year (iPhone 3G, iPhone 4), incremental improvements the following year (iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4s). Repeat.

Wonder if that has anything to do with 99.9% of people being stuck in 2-year contracts?

Doesn't make sense for people like you that have to upgrade every year, but for folks coming out of a 2-year contract, the iPhone 4s is most definitely a better phone than the iPhone 4.

This actually makes a lot of sense. Most of us in these forums would love a big upgrade every 12 months and would be happy to hand out the money for one, but the vast majority of people don't think like us. They want a nice phone that's practical and affordable; meaning they will plan on keeping that device until they're once again eligible for a subsidy on the device. Apple doing major refreshes every other year actually works out for the majority. Sucks for the rest of us who want the latest and greatest, but hey, it is what it is.

arbitter

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Belgium
Whoa, Motorola? I have not seen a Motorola in the wild since... More than 5 years, at least! And surely not a smartphone.

Nevertheless, I guess there's a bunch being distributed in the US. But they're not really showing up here in Belgium though. The most smartphones I spot, are first of all cheapass-Frodo-Samsung phones from around 100-200 euros. From the high-end smartphone the most spotted is the iPhone I think though, and next I'd say HTC. And the higher end Samsung devices - I have only spotted one, 1 year ago, no idea which version it was. The only thing I could think was how the hell the huge device can possibly fit in one's pockets. This is also the reason I hope the form-factor change is and always will be a rumor. What's the hype of all these big screens? Tablet != smartphone.

jdbr

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2010
Northern Ireland, UK
Update the iPhone slightly more often

To be honest Apple needs to update their phone slightly more frequently. The cycle seems to be every two years, with a slight update half way through. Is that really all they can do? If the next phone is amazing and well ahead of the competition, maybe that cycle is fine; but?

minderbinder106

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2010
While I think it's ridiculous that you expect a major upgrade on every model they release, there is a little truth in what you say. However, I think everyone knew Apple wouldn't jump on 4G right away. Look at all the battery issues the first 4G Android phones had.

However, fast forward to today, and we are sorely in need of a 4G iPhone. And I think it's safe to assume that if the iPad 3 has it, the iPhone 5 will probably have it too. I don't think Apple is over confident or blind to the fact that the iPhone needs 4G. I think they just like to make sure the product is a good product, not just throw a bunch of crap against the wall and see what sticks like some other companies do. I don't think the next iPhone is going to make you want to switch to Android.

It's not ridiculous to expect a major upgrade when they only release 1 new model a year. However, Apple was smart not to include 4G in the 4s. They couldn't afford to have their only phone have horrible battery life like the 1st batch of Android LTE phones such as the HTC Thunderbolt or LG Revolution.

kdog005

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2011
Zanesville, OH
As a member of Verizon Management, I can tell you that this isn't because of Device quality, this is because one of our most forced KPI's in stores is LTE.

As a manager, I have to contantly be on my sales reps about selling LTE devices over anything, despite any actual qulification for an iPhone. Fact of the matter is, Verizon is pushing LTE harder than anything and this is evidence of it.

It's so bad on a store level, that it's to the point where I have to fire reps if they aren't selling LTE devices over the iPhone.

So as much as these articles may make you think, the real matter is that on a store level, Reps are strong armed into selling LTE over anything or their job could be on the line.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
They are probably getting spiffs for selling Androids, hence they don't care about iPhone.
Also, think of this: their sales people were brainwashed at the begining, to believe the iPhone sucks and that Android is the best, turning them into Droidboys. They pushed the Android phones as much as they could since the days of the new iPhone. Now they can't say the opposite as they would be going against their own religion.

Either way, Verizon sucks in South Florida, so I could care less of what they do.

I doubt their salespeople are brainwashed--all three of the associates at the counter had iPhones in their pockets! It must have just been a week that they were supposed to push certain other models.

kdog005

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2011
Zanesville, OH
I doubt their salespeople are brainwashed--all three of the associates at the counter had iPhones in their pockets! It must have just been a week that they were supposed to push certain other models.

Again, this is not true.

Despite what they carry, Verizon Sales Reps are strong armed into selling LTE as it's their #1 KPI. Additionally, there's no data feature spiff on iPhones where there are on Androids, hence the additional motivation to make more commission on an Android device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.