Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

piecloud

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2011

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
iOS and OS X never were split apart to being with.

^ This. The only difference is that iOS has a different "frontend gui". The core OS is in fact just a fork of OS X. You'll probably find it was slimmed out a bit to lower the resource usage (e.g stripping out driver support and such) but its still the same OS and Kernel under the hood.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Aren't iCloud accounts free?

Sure, but I still don't have one and have no reason to register for it.

Regarding your second point, the same problem happens if people don't use Chrome on their OS X or Windows, so really the only difference is the password syncing (hopefully Apple will add that soon) and the fact that there is no Safari/iCloud, so far as I know, for linux.

True, but us Chrome users welcome the chance to sync our stuff between out devices now. ;)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Aren't iCloud accounts free? Regarding your second point, the same problem happens if people don't use Chrome on their OS X or Windows, so really the only difference is the password syncing (hopefully Apple will add that soon) and the fact that there is no Safari/iCloud, so far as I know, for linux.

Just because something is free doesn't mean people are using it. There are several major free online email services - but that doesn't mean people have accounts on all of them. There a few free cloud services and people don't have accounts on all of them.

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Does anyone know if this (or any other decent iOS browser, for that matter) will eventually support plugins?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
While it may not be a perfect solution, a bookmarklet to open in Chrome would be an acceptable work around. If you click a link from say Mail app, it would open in safari by default. A tap on the bookmarklet would open it in Chrome. It's extra tap, but not too bad in my opinion.

http://www.icab.de/blog/2009/09/07/calling-icab-mobile-from-within-safari-on-the-iphone/

Thinking about it, it may actually be possible to nock up something to hook into Safari to automatically close it and re-open chrome with the link. I'm sure we'll see a few attempts at it appear on Cydia.

(Sidenote: See, this is why Jail breaking your device is awesome! :p )

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
iOS and OS X never were split apart to being with.

Not quite sure if your implying that they are not dissimilar enough to consider them different operating systems, or if you do not see them on a path toward eventual (albeit not total perhaps) union.

Either way. That discussion has deff seen play around here :D

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Just because something is free doesn't mean people are using it. There are several major free online email services - but that doesn't mean people have accounts on all of them. There a few free cloud services and people don't have accounts on all of them.

That's besides the point. The point is you can do almost everything Chrome does with Apple's Safari if you really wanted to. Chrome has passwords + extensions, Safari has the Nitro javascript engine. Them be the differences.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Not quite sure if your implying that they are not dissimilar enough to consider them different operating systems, or if you do not see them on a path toward eventual (albeit not total perhaps) union.

I'm saying they never were split, they are not dissimilar enough to consider them different and I don't see them converging more. Superficial features like launchpad looking like Springboard is not what I call merging.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
You're right. No need to do it in Chrome. Google can just backdoor this stuff through Safari.

Oh grow up. If you dont like Google, dont post in the Google threads...hardly rocket science. :rolleyes:

Besides, that wouldn't have happened if Apple patched the bug they knew about long ago ;)

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
True, but us Chrome users welcome the chance to sync our stuff between out devices now. ;)

Yeah this is a huge bonus, glad Apple approved it. If extensions work, though I was never particularly impressed with Chrome, I might convert. One of my main, perhaps my only, reason for jail-breaking is to install Ad Block. I can't stand ads and wish Apple would just allow mobile Safari-extensions already. Sometimes I can't understand what Apple's hangup is with adding obvious features.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
It does for Android :

http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2440264&p=mktg_mobile_security

From the keynote going on, there's not much meat :
Thanks, kinda figured that.

But I really meant extensions, should have been more clear. I don't recall discussion of that. Here:

Google FAQ

Does Chrome for Android support apps and extensions?
Chrome apps and extensions are currently not supported on Chrome for Android. We have no plans to announce at this time.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Should be interesting to try out, although the restriction on the default browser will likely keep this from becoming all too popular.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Thinking about it, it may actually be possible to nock up something to hook into Safari to automatically close it and re-open chrome with the link. I'm sure we'll see a few attempts at it appear on Cydia.

(Sidenote: See, this is why Jail breaking your device is awesome! :p )

Jailbreaking is awesome. So is having an Android phone in situations like this.

(disclosure: I have both an iPhone 4 and a Samsung Skyrocket). I'm looking forward to using Chrome on the Android when updated to ICS. Not that I have any real issues with the stock browser or the Dolphin browser which is pretty great.)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Sure, but I don't want to use Safari on my Mac. I don't like it as a browser.

Point taken. Incidentally, since you always have well reasoned positions, would you be up for sharing what you dislike about Safari? I've never understood the appeal to use another browser, but perhaps my needs are too plebeian.

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
I'm saying they never were split, they are not dissimilar enough to consider them different and I don't see them converging more. Superficial features like launchpad looking like Springboard is not what I call merging.

i think i see your point. And i agree about the superficial elements not really lending the substance of a merge. However I am not sure that I would not still make a distinction between the two (iOS and OSX) as being separate operating systems. They have two different SDKs and all...i feel you tho.

chompop

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
Will we be able to zoom in and double tap to make text fit the screen like browser on android?

I hate to swipe horizontally to read the web.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.