Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the avalanche of patent lawsuits involving Apple, we try to restrict our coverage to the most significant developments such as issued injunctions, final settlements, and monetary awards.

But while a UK judge's ruling today that Samsung's Galaxy Tab products do not infringe upon Apple's iPad design merely maintains the status quo from a competitive perspective in one of the many ongoing cases between the two companies, what is sure to spark discussion is the judge's assessment that the Galaxy tablets are simply "not as cool" as the iPad. Bloomberg reports:
The Galaxy tablet doesn't infringe Apple's registered design, Judge Colin Birss said in a ruling today in London. He said that consumers weren't likely to get the two tablet computers mixed up.

The Galaxy tablets "do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design," Birss said. "They are not as cool."
galaxy_tab_10_1_revised-500x359.jpg

More specifically, Birss ruled that the Galaxy tablets' thinner profiles and "unusual details" on the back of the devices made them different enough from the iPad that they were not too similar to Apple's design.

Apple has 21 days in which to appeal the ruling.

Article Link: UK Judge Rules Samsung Tablets 'Not as Cool' as iPad

Kerm

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2009
"Apple has 21 days in which to appeal the ruling."

Now if Apple wants to appeal the ruling, they'll have to argue that the Samsung tablet is "as cool" as the iPad.

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
Apple needs to stop attacking every other tablet out there. Everyone knows the iPad is the best! Sure, not everyone can afford one and some people settle for less, but iPad is the rock star.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The comment is silly and ultimately meaningless. But I am sure it will be quoted infinitely here to the point of tedium.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Very interesting legal precedent... "coolness" as grounds for a legal decision!

Soon being a "geek" will be a defense for hacking.:eek:

The legal system, strange at best, is going in some odd directions!:rolleyes::D

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Of course it's not as cool. That's why no one buys them.

And that's why I'm in awe at Apple's aggressive fight over the Galaxy Tab. When you are near them in a store you hear "crickets"

rendevouspoo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2012
Apple needs to stop attacking every other tablet out there. Everyone knows the iPad is the best! Sure, not everyone can afford one and some people settle for less, but iPad is the rock star.

As of right now, you're right. I don't think it will be the case for too much longer though. You think that the only reason people don't have an ipad, iPhone, ect is because they can't afford it, but that's not all the case. Some people like customization and being able to do what they want to with their product. Others, like myself, have steered away from the company due to their bullying and petty litigation thuggery. That said, they make great products. There are products being made outside of Apple that are just as, if not more, good when it comes to wowness factor.

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
Very interesting legal precedent... "coolness" as grounds for a legal decision!

Soon being a "geek" will be a defense for hacking.:eek:

The legal system, strange at best, is going in some odd directions!:rolleyes::D

We still have a legal system? I thought it was just another day in business.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Samsung thought it was hip to be square with slightly rounded corners, a flat transparent surface without any ornamentation and a thin profile.

I guess not.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
This headline doesn't tell the whole story. You need to read the judgement in full to appreciate what the Judge said. It's sloppy journalism to sensationalise the story in this way. I'm not a fan of 9 to 5 Mac but at least they have taken the time to quote the judgement in full.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
In related news: Judges teenage son cringes at fathers use of dated slang.

Yes, because I'm sure your generation invented the word "cool". I'm not sure how slang as generic as "cool" gets dated. It's not like he said sick or ace (also can be argued as "dated" slang).

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom

the fact is though, Apple quite rightly are defending themselves in the market.

The samsung tablet does look similar in someways to the iPad. from my understanding previous generations of the Galaxy looked so similar to the iPad that they were requested by a judge to change it and add more samsung branding to the product. There are plenty of ways to design a tablet in terms of physical appearance they don't need to keep copying Apples designs.

Check out this link to see how far the Samsung copying has gone
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/09/28/no-comment-proof-that-samsung-shamelessly-copies-apple/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.