Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the third beta of iOS 6, the company's next-generation mobile operating system set to launch "this fall", presumably alongside new iPhone hardware in the September-October timeframe.

devcenterbeta3-500x226.png

The third beta, which arrives as Build 10A5355d, comes three weeks after the previous developer version of Build 10A5338d.

We'll update this post with additional information on the new release as it surfaces.

Users are tracking new changes both in the forum thread associated with this article and in this thread. One key addition observed so far is a new section in the Settings app for Maps, allowing users to change the volume of the navigation voice, set distances to display in miles or kilometers, set map labels to display either in the local language or always in English, and set map label sizes to either "normal" or "large".

ios_6_beta_3_maps_settings.jpg

Other changes include:

- Roadwork and traffic accidents showing up in Maps app
- Answer and Decline buttons for FaceTime calls have returned
- iMessage on iPad now accepting phone number as valid contact info
- Greater 3D Flyover coverage in Maps
- Glyphs for bookmarks, Reading List, and history in Safari
- Auto-brightness changes gradually

Update: Also released today: Xcode Developer Preview 3 and Apple TV Software beta 3.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 6 Beta 3 to Developers

bse3

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Mine doesn't show it?!

/Edit: Showed up after reboot.

Last edited:

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Non Developers, are you really going to pay $99 to get iOS 6 early? That seems a bit silly to me. I am just as impatient as anyone else when it comes to new gadgets and software to play with but why pay a hundred dollars now for something that will be free in a couple months...

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Non Developers, are you really going to pay $99 to get iOS 6 early? That seems a bit silly to me. I am just as impatient as anyone else when it comes to new gadgets and software to play with but why pay a hundred dollars now for something that will be free in a couple months...

I've seen plenty that do and then they complain when all the features don't work as advertised. People need to understand what a pre-release is. Beta versions will have bugs and other issues. You will have incompatibilities and other problems.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

iOS 6 beta doesnt seem to be tied to a dev account, so as long as you can find a working ispw you are good to go

(not that i'm doing it - i'll wait for the final)

delonh92

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
Liverpool NY

they're other ways people can get to use the betas ;)

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
It's labeled as "iOS 6 beta 2" in Software Update for me for some reason, but updating anyway.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Beta 3, this usually means it's pretty much ready, right? Usually?

Nope. And we won't see it released until the fall. Like the other iOS updates, it'll be released the day that the new iPhones start shipping. With no new iPhone announced yet, you're going to have to wait a while before we see the full release.

Examples: iOS 4 was released the day the iPhone 4 began shipping. iOS 5 was released the day the iPhone 4S started shipping.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I'm excited to learn whether or not beta three fixes the chameleon status bar inconsisies; the color changing could actually look good if it was constant.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I haven't been this excited about iOS since introduction of the App Store! Well it's not just iOS I'm excited about. It's the combination of iOS 6 and Mountain Lion and iCloud. First time I will feel like I have a nicely integrated experience whether in the office or mobile between all my computers and devices.

Bring it on Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.