Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes seemingly confirms a previous report that the next generation iPhone has already started production in China.
Pegatron has begun production of a new version of the Apple iPhone at its factory in Shanghai, eastern China, according to industry sources in Taiwan.
The newspaper cites "industry sources" for the knowledge.

Rendered mockup of the rumored taller iPhone with 4-inch display (left) and iPhone 4S (right)
Click for larger
Earlier this month, Japanese blog Macotakara first reported that the next generation iPhone had already gone into production. These reports do somewhat conflict with a BGR report that the next generation iPhone is still in an engineering verification test. BGR believes that the new iPhone will carry 1GB of RAM as well as both LTE and NFC support. Regardless, it seems there are ongoing signs that the next iPhone is approaching.

The next generation iPhone will likely launch in the September or October -- approximately one year after the launch of the iPhone 4S.

Article Link: Another Report that the Next iPhone is Already in Production in China

moldy912

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2012
It seems like everything is really falling into place. All we need is notice of a conference from Apple.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
If all it's got is a few more pixels, it won't be much of an upgrade. But at least they'll be able to call it the iPhone 6.

Everyone complained with the iPhone 5 (4s) not having much: more megapixels, faster processor, faster graphics processor, better lens, 64gb option. BT 4.0, mirroring (or did the 4 have that?), 1080p video. That's actually a lot.

I'm not sure what else this is going to offer beside the screen, (possibly) an incompatible dock connector, some speed increase (of course) and a bunch of apps that don't utilize the screen.

It might be a little thinner since they can spread out the battery, but more screen will probably eat more power, right?

(Oops, I forgot about LTE. Everyone can use that at their location, right?!?)

Gary

Last edited:

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
If all it's got is a few more pixels, it won't be much of an upgrade.
Heh. I'm glad we've come full circle. Before we had threats and predictions that if they didn't offer a 4-inch (minimum!) screen, they would be faced with irrelevance. Now it's who cares about a 4-inch screen?

NFC, LTE, 4-inch screen, improved camera, Passbook, turn-by-turn navigation? This thing is loaded down with new stuff. Which only makes it more annoying that they're withholding Siri from iPhone 4 users still and turn-by-turn navigation with it.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Heh. I'm glad we've come full circle. Before we had threats and predictions that if they didn't offer a 4-inch (minimum!) screen, they would be faced with irrelevance. Now it's who cares about a 4-inch screen?

NFC, LTE, 4-inch screen, improved camera, Passbook, turn-by-turn navigation? This thing is loaded down with new stuff. Which only makes it more annoying that they're withholding Siri from iPhone 4 users still and turn-by-turn navigation with it.

It will have most of the features that Android phones already have.

Jrsmooth

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
Already manufacturing? Hopefully they don't overproduce because I'm not buying the same screen (except longer).

Face it, a lot of people are going to say the same thing. The galaxy s3, HTC one x, and hell even the RAZR maxx look more appealing. CNET and a lot of people who are switching over are saying the same thing.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2009
Wider isn't better

Not wider, just taller huh. I wish is was wider too.

After I tried Nexus for a week (I'm a dev so I need to know Android), I came back to my iPhone thinking I'm so glad it isn't wider. And I'm a man with fairly large hands. I think Apple has the width perfect. I'll be happy if it's just a bit taller.

----------

It will have most of the features that Android phones already have.

Vanilla Android ICS doesn't even have screen rotation lock built in.

alexN350z

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2011
Me too.

I spend so many hours surfing, watching videos and doing things on my iPhone, I always wish its screen were larger. As big as will fit in my pocket.

----------

Yes, but with an Apple-quality of user experience.

Apple never care what the users want, they only give you the finished products and tell you this is what you need.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
A 4" taller iPhone is great.

It'll finally have the same screen real estate as other 4" phones.

And maybe in a few more years... Apple will up the size again.

But I'm actually more interested in the addition of Verizon LTE... I might replace my iPhone 4S for that.

dk8dD.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.