Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I wonder how other product updates such as the iMac or the speculated 13" rMBP will fit in? Would seem unusual to do it at either iOS event, no?

IMac is just an update so it may not even get a mention at the event. I would expect 13" rMBP to though.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
It's really tough to share the spotlight with a new iPhone release however if the iPad mini is true it does make a little more sense to have dedicated media events as oppose to cramming 2 in one day.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I hope samsung sues apple for copying there idea for a small size screen, 'cause if apple can win a case with having a rectangular shaped phone with rounded out sides, samsung can win this battle. Apple is copying there idea. hahaha

Wishful thinking. The current thinking is that it will look a lot like an enlarged iPhone or iPod Touch (with a narrower bezel along the vertical edges). The iPhone is the prior art here. After all, a jury just validated its trade dress and patents yesterday.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
Hmmm... so you mean to tell me Apple which has only ever had a 9.7" screen, is now going to COPY Android tablets and release a smaller 7" range tablet???

Wow, so in our current mactopia, it's totally okay for Apple to copy, but not the other way around.

Funny how it works. So much for justice and equality eh?

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
USA
Are you saying Samsung is the first company ever to release a 7inch tablet?

No I'm not, but apple wasn't the first company to come up with the features they sued for. Apple is just acquiring companies, getting there patents and using them only to fight competitors like now.

Kind of like the Dock in OS X and iOS that people think apple made.

http://lunduke.com/?p=1709

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
For the most part, yes. However, AllthingsD is essentially the tech blog of the Wall Street Journal, so this is about as close to official confirmation from Apple as is possible short of the media invitation.

I think it makes sense. Let September be the month of the iPhone, and then when the initial rush dies down, start up another one with the new smaller iPad, just in time for the holiday shopping season. My guess is that they aren't too concerned about letting the new Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 get another month of sales. October-December is the important quarter.

Dalrymple is THE official confirmation of all things Apple.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I know a couple people who've said they're definitely buying it. They said the iPhone was too small and the iPad too big, so I guess it fits a need. It'll be interesting to see how well it sells. I'm perfectly happy with my current iPad. :)

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
I would have bought it, but, no more can I support such an evil empire.

Apple = Microsft of our generation.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
troll much

No troll, just conclusion from observation. Look at my join date. I've had an iPhone 4s since release date. A few weeks ago at the start of this trial, I sold it and bought a Galaxy Nexus.

Is the Nexus that much better? Of course not, but is it different? Very much so.

My point being, Apple has lost me as a customer. Not that they need my support, but over the entire course of my life, 30 plus years, I've never boycotted a company until now.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
The Marketwatch trollers and Seeking Alpha ranters will have a field-day with the two different dates, complaining how Tim Cook has made another bone-headed non-Jobsian move.

I love watching hot-headed fireworks... :p

And I will upgraded my "antique" iPhone 4 to the new model. Not sure if I'll be in the market for the 1st-edition miniPad.

Last edited:

kyrrebs

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
Molde, Norway
iMac in one

I think they will give us the iMac 2012 refresh in one of these two events.

I don't think there will be much to say about the iPhone 5; iOS6 is already (partly) presented, the new screen size and maybe LTE. None of these things are revolutionary - LTE will not be usable for most consumers for a while yet.

I'm guessing the iPad Mini is not particulary revolutionary either. It is a smaller iPad, the size of a Galaxy tab, and not much more than that, right? Not much to talk about really.

So a brilliantly beautiful new iMac would be a clever add-on to one of these presentations. I know iOS and OSX - devices are not normally presented in the same events, but I really don't see why that is a problem. And Tim Cook does things differently from Steve Jobs anyways, so what's to say this won't be different as well..?

Anyone with me? :)

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Unless they don't release something along with the 'iPad mini', I see this event being a pretty short one. :p

LiquidMetal3

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2012
The October event will be in Arizona. Whether is an iPad mini, ITV,icar I do not know. Apple poised to bring manufacturing ( albeit a small amount) back to the US.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I think they will give us the iMac 2012 refresh in one of these two events.

I don't think there will be much to say about the iPhone 5; iOS6 is already (partly) presented, the new screen size and maybe LTE. None of these things are revolutionary - LTE will not be usable for most consumers for a while yet.

I'm guessing the iPad Mini is not particulary revolutionary either. It is a smaller iPad, the size of a Galaxy tab, and not much more than that, right? Not much to talk about really.

So a brilliantly beautiful new iMac would be a clever add-on to one of these presentations. I know iOS and OSX - devices are not normally presented in the same events, but I really don't see why that is a problem. And Tim Cook does things differently from Steve Jobs anyways, so what's to say this won't be different as well..?

Anyone with me? :)

Not really. It isn't the same size, the screen area is almost 40% larger.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1401978/

MMOTotal

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Azeroth
If Apple feels this market is worth going after, more power to them. For me I am uninterested. Guys, if you don't like the idea it is most likely that you are not who Apple is targeting, you can't please everyone.

zombierunner

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
UK
Very excited for the new iphone and ipad mini ... i hope the ipad mini display is retina or close to retina ..

cyruslemont

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
Hmm, I wonder if this is going to be with the rumored new iPod range. Would make sense, because honestly, there's no new features other than the size that they'll most likely be introducing. So why not have multiple products to show off within the span of 2 hours? Don't really care too much though, I just want to get the iPhone 5 already!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.