Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
ipad mini is pointless waste of money

iPad user since the very first day here, Nexus 7 is really good, only thing I do not like is the browsing experience

definitely there is a market for these devices; only the price point and specs will determine the sales... obviously price point is critical...

RockstarSR

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
Any idea if apple will announce a refreshed/tweaked new iPad aswell, along with the iPad mini?

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
I wish they would get it over with.

Ipad mini won't be a product I will be buying.

That is fine. But is it necessary that we need to know that you are not going to buy a product that will be purchased buy a vast number of consumers who are going to lavish it and cherish it like their beloved lost toy that they dreamed of having since childhood.

To each his own!

Kenetic0320

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2012
I can't wait for the iPad mini. I love my iPad 2, but after holding the Nexus 7, I think it's the perfect size for a tablet.

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I still doubt these rumors. Apple doesn't need an iPad mini. They're already the king of tablets. Why undercut such a successful device? Also, developers. We really don't like fragmentation.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
It's not looking good for the iMac, is it?

I really don't want to go back to Windows, but the choice seems to be Win 7 on a custom rig or start scouring ebay for a cheap 2011 iMac.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
I guarantee they're going to sell at least one. :D I've been holding off buying an iPad for three product generations, just hoping and waiting for exactly this product.

My only fear is - if it ends up being too low-end, I'll have to rethink things. I'm really hoping for a smaller iPad that still has all the functionality of its larger sibling. If there's a 3G version with 32 or 64 GB of memory, I'll be pre-ordering on day one. On the other hand if it's only available with 8 gigs of RAM - then it's going to be too crippled a device for me personally (no, I'm not speaking for all buyers everywhere). If it's somewhere in between... then I'll have to weigh the pluses and minuses.
Enjoy your new iPad!

Personally, I don't think you have a thing to worry about. If Apple won't sell an 8GB iPhone, they aren't going to sell an 8GB tablet which is way more about content consumption than a phone ever would be. I'm betting 16GB and 32GB models that have black/white and wi-fi/3G variants. Obviously, no retina.

I think they'll keep 64GB/ LTE/ Retina for "The New iPad" 9.7" models to keep people interested on the high end.

On pricing, my thinking is that they won't compete with the Nexus 7 at the $199 price because the N7 is only 8GB at that price. I think they'll probably come in and compete with the 16GB Nexus 7 at the same $249 price, but they'll really make a little bit of a noise about 8GB just not being enough space to really be usable. There'll be charts showing how many movies, music, books, photos etc at the 8GB level and on the 16GB level so that it's obvious that while the Nexus 7 has a nice price, it's really not great for content.

--------

I've owned every one of the iPads ... a 3G iPad 1... a Wi-fi iPad 2... and a LTE iPad 3. Personally, the latest is the greatest. These things hold a nice resell value and I had no trouble selling the first couple for great prices. I'd sell about 3 weeks before new ones were going to be announced and get about 75% of my investment on each on. I on the fence about selling the iPad 3 after just a year. Even though iPad 4 will come out in early '13, I think I'll hold on to mine and get iPad 5. I bought AppleCare Plus on it so I think I'll hold on to it.

That being said, I think I'll be getting a iPad Air (or mini)... or whatever they end up calling it!

Last edited:

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
I still doubt these rumors. Apple doesn't need an iPad mini. They're already the king of tablets. Why undercut such a successful device? Also, developers. We really don't like fragmentation.
Apps will scale. The tablet will come in at 1024 x 768 just like the iPad 1 and 2.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I'm going to laugh when there is no Apple event in October, or any time between the iPhone event and the next iPad event. These news sites never cease to amaze me. Gruber theorizes about Apple holding two seperate events, with no evidence besides that it makes sense because they don't want to jam too much into one event. Dalrymple simply says Gruber is a smart boy, and now all the sites report that they now have "sources" that have "confirmed" this two seperate event theory. Lol

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
No troll, just conclusion from observation. Look at my join date. I've had an iPhone 4s since release date. A few weeks ago at the start of this trial, I sold it and bought a Galaxy Nexus.

Is the Nexus that much better? Of course not, but is it different? Very much so.

My point being, Apple has lost me as a customer. Not that they need my support, but over the entire course of my life, 30 plus years, I've never boycotted a company until now.

You've been a customer for less than a year and you're using this to justify your position? I don't disagree with you completely, but you picked a lousy point to use to defend your loyalty.

----------

iMac or GTFO

Didn't you hear? They're canceling the iMac.

:p

----------

I'm going to laugh when there is no Apple event in October, or any time between the iPhone event and the next iPad event. These news sites never cease to amaze me. Gruber theorizes about Apple holding two seperate events, with no evidence besides that it makes sense because they don't want to jam too much into one event. Dalrymple simply says Gruber is a smart boy, and now all the sites report that they now have "sources" that have "confirmed" this two seperate event theory. Lol

Are you clueless as to who these guys are, their connections, and their history in correctly reporting Apple news? Gruber alone I wouldn't believe, he's right sometime, but not every time. But anytime Dalrymple has confirmed, it's true. EOS

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
Sept 12:
The New iPhone = Phil Schiller
iOS 6 Review and ship date = Scott Forstall
iMac Redesign = Phil Schiller
Mac Pro Redesign = Phil Schiller

Oct. (Lets say 10th):
iPad Mini + App Demos to show how easy it was to develop for it = Phil Schiller/Scott Forstall
Update to iWork for iOS = Scott Forstall
Apple TV SDK announcement and developer demos...it will ship in early 2013 along with a new Apple LED TV (but that won't be announced then). = Eddie Cue.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Delaying iPod event beyond Sep 1st week is a sign of weakness, when Steve around he always kept that date for iPod updates almost for several years ...

There's not a bit of logic (or truth) in that statement.

Sept 12:
The New iPhone = Phil Schiller
iOS 6 Review and ship date = Scott Forstall
iMac Redesign = Phil Schiller
Mac Pro Redesign = Phil Schiller

Oct. (Lets say 10th):
iPad Mini + App Demos to show how easy it was to develop for it = Phil Schiller/Scott Forstall
Update to iWork for iOS = Scott Forstall
Apple TV SDK announcement and developer demos...it will ship in early 2013 along with a new Apple LED TV (but that won't be announced then). = Eddie Cue.

So when did the media invites for Sept. 12 go out? I don't mean to be sarcastic but I wish MacRumors would not use such certain language when something hasn't been officially confirmed by Apple yet. September 12 is over 1 month away...a lot can happen in that time.

:p

Macclone

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Reminds me of the people who are up in arms about the USADA going after Lance Armstrong. :rolleyes:

Sometimes cheaters get caught. Sometimes justice gets served. Deal with it.

Enjoy your "quality" Dell/HP and Samsung devices.

Passing 500 drug tests is getting caught???? WTF!!

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
I wonder how other product updates such as the iMac or the speculated 13" rMBP will fit in? Would seem unusual to do it at either iOS event, no?

This is what I've been wondering, too. It's not atypical to update MacBook Pro in October and iMac in September, but these won't be big updates with all this activity. Best we can hope for is an "also" at iPad mini event.

So, no iMac with Retina Display, much less a touch iMac (way overdue), and apparently no Mac Pro. Funny, isn't that what Tim Cook said after the last presentation?? Next year.

Frankly, much as Apple focusses on iPad at the moment, I don't see a mini as an event in its own right. And a 7" iPad before Christmas has been predicted every year since iPad arrived.

I'd rather a desktop update - quad core for the Mac Mini, and so-on, than an iPad with even smaller text.

There's going to be an awful lot of red dots on the MacRumors Buyers Guide page for a lot longer…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.