Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Samsung has already issued an official statement vowing to fight on against Apple in court cases and to innovate with its products following the $1 billion judgment against the company, The Korea Times reports that executives at the company are "reeling in shock" at the decision.
Samsung executives were still reeling in shock Sunday, but provided no clear hint on the company's next move in the showdown with its industry archrival. It's widely expected that Samsung will appeal, but the outlook for success in the appeal now looks rather murky.

"It's absolutely the worst scenario for us," a senior Samsung executive said as he rushed into the company's compound in southern Seoul.

Inside the building, Choi Gee-sung, former Samsung Electronics CEO and now the head of Samsung Group's corporate strategy division, was holding an emergency meeting attended by Shin Jong-kyun, the company's mobile devices chief, and Lee Dong-joo, lead marketing official.
apple_samsung_logos-500x137.jpg

Both Apple and Samsung will be making post-verdict motions in the case, with Samsung seeking to have Judge Lucy Koh overrule the jury's decision before filing an official appeal while Apple is likely to seek a tripling of the damage award based on rulings that Samsung's infringement was willful. Apple will also be pursuing injunctions barring the sale of Samsung devices found to infringe Apple's patents.

Article Link: Samsung Executive Calls Apple vs. Samsung Ruling 'Worst Scenario for Us'

DavidTheExpert

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
"Apple is likely to seek a tripling of the damage award based on rulings that Samsung's infringement was willful."

Ha! That is a pretty bold move on Apple's part, given that they were just awarded over a billion dollars. But Apple has always been a bold company. I don't see much chance of them succeeding in this motion, though, but then again Apple has a pretty damn good legal team.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
This is no surprise, to be expected given the cultural differences. Once they've come to terms with it, they will most likely determine the direction they need to take to move forward unfettered.

catchatyou

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2011
Let this be a warning

I hope that this is a warning to all Android manufacturers, Apple means business. I hope that Samsung will take the path that Microsoft did and actually innovate instead of blatantly copying.

The best scenario for consumers is to have a choice, and if everyone's copying Apple, the consumers don't have much choice.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
The fact pinch and zoom as well as a grid payout with rounded icons can be patented this is completely nuts.

Excuse me while I patent the rear view mirror and sue any car maker that dare use it.

I dont see how samsung is supposed to get around pinch and zoom, its an essential component to a touch screen.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
They were warned so... what's the big deal?

There is no big deal here, it's just a news item for salivating Apple fans.

Of course Samsung will appeal, and the saga will continue for months to come and might have a totally different outcome in the end.

olibraves

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2012
East Lansing, MI
I find it hard to believe that they are "shocked". I feel like this was so obvious that it would be hard for anyone to convince themselves otherwise.

Maybe they are just shocked they finally got called on their blatant copying

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
This is no surprise, to be expected given the cultural differences. Once they've come to terms with it, they will most likely determine the direction they need to take to move forward unfettered.

I don't think cultural differences justifies it. I might not know anything about Korean culture, but if I'm a multi-billion dollar corporation doing business you can bet I'm going to hire people who do, and listen to what they have to say.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Just curious; if Samsung ultimately ends up actually writing a 1 billion dollar check to Apple, what effect would that have on their company?

Probably the more serious implication is the change in direction/philosophy they will have to take moving forward.

Also what happens to all the products people already purchased and that are sitting in stockrooms ready to be sold. Don't those all now infringe patents? How can they be sold from here on?

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Damn near all the patents Apple got are frivolous. Its disgusting seeing how they got patents on such loose and obvious pseudo technologies, the whole system is broken.

This isnt bad for just Samsung, its bad for the consumer as well.

kerryb

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
Shocked really?

you can only stick you hand into the cookie jar some many time before someone realizes cookies are missing. Samsung made a 1 billion dollar investment in copying the leading tech companies star product and made billions selling copies. They have established themselves as worlds biggest handset company, have a huge base and that will not go away with this verdict. You could say Apple's iPhone was the ladder they used to be the biggest in the world. Not a bad return for the investment.

godknows

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
I hope that this is a warning to all Android manufacturers, Apple means business. I hope that Samsung will take the path that Microsoft did and actually innovate instead of blatantly copying.

The best scenario for consumers is to have a choice, and if everyone's copying Apple, the consumers don't have much choice.

Ha! Microsoft isn't the company I will be thinking of for innovation but yes they have been doing much better than they once were (when they have virtually no competitors).

Now what I want to see is Apple nailing the point that "it's not about the money", and start a philanthropy program of 1.05 Billion :) Perhaps putting computers / iPads in schools?

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
The fact pinch and zoom as well as a grid payout with rounded icons can be patented this is completely nuts.

Excuse me while I patent the rear view mirror and sue any car maker that dare use it.

I dont see how samsung is supposed to get around pinch and zoom, its an essential component to a touch screen.

Remind me of the wildly popular touchscreen phones that had it before Apple.

Mark77

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
The reason they will move for 3 Billion is this is how the Rico Act works in civil cases,. Willful infringement provides for "treble" damages - a/k/a triple.

jj47

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012

Rounded icons is ridiculous as a patent however pinch and zoom was real innovation from Apple which they spent many of hours and money on R&D to create.

Completely sensible and jutifiable patent.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Remind me of the wildly popular touchscreen phones that had it before Apple.

What does that have to do with anything? The fact a basic essential navigation tool can be patent is silly how does the iphone's popularity relate to ANYTHING I said?

rh1

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
Britain

You could say so, however isn't it always the case in hindsight that an idea like pinch to zoom becomes and seems so essential? Given the circumstances that they were offered to licence some of those patents and refused to, is something to question.

catchatyou

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2011
Ha! Microsoft isn't the company I will be thinking of for innovation but yes they have been doing much better than they once were (when they have virtually no competitors).

I'm basically referring to WP7. I think that is a great design. You don't have to copy to make a good product!

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Samsung, just take this one in the rear and move on. Google has developed a great OS already. Stop propagating the theory that all Asians do is KIRF others art or intellectual property, there is no need to window dress Android any longer. Stop with this S-Cloud and S-Voice stuff. Just stop. The carriers will still buy boatloads of your phones, there aren't any other manufacturers left who profitably produce alternatives!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.