Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Exactly. While I enjoy using Apple products, you'd have to be a complete idiot to think this is good news for cunsumers.

I don't think it's so idiotic to say that if every phone was like the iPhone, that wouldn't be good for consumers.

Look at what Microsoft is doing. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Microsoft actually came up with something new. They're competing on their own merits, and that's good for consumers.

How, exactly, is it good for consumers if every product is identical? Samsung will be forced to actually create something new, now. How is that bad?

But sure, I guess I'm the complete idiot.

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Apple didn't just pull the idea of tripling the damages out of thin air--it's a standard move that's built into the system that the judge can approve if it's found that the patent infringement was willful.

They already found that the infringement was willful, so why haven't they tripled it right away?

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
If it was so basic and essential and obvious, why weren't you and your mom and your dad using that navigation tool before the iPhone?

How did the PalmPilot and MS PocketPC vendors sell a single device (they actually sold many tens of millions of units) without a basic essential feature?

I think Samsung deserved what they got a billion dollar fine and from what I understand this is much more than Apple offered them in the first place to legally use these patents.

The fine should be enough, injunctions will just further limit consumer options.

You're comparison is null because neither of those devices were multi-touch compatible screens. Nor were they what tablets are today. Pinch and Zoom are an essential part of touch screens today, not 10 years ago. Competition needs to make everything more difficult just because Apple has a patent on a software function?

You'd really be happy if Apple was the only company allowed to use pinch and zoom?

Last edited:

khovland92

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
Connecticut
"Apple is likely to seek a tripling of the damage award based on rulings that Samsung's infringement was willful."

Ha! That is a pretty bold move on Apple's part, given that they were just awarded over a billion dollars. But Apple has always been a bold company. I don't see much chance of them succeeding in this motion, though, but then again Apple has a pretty damn good legal team.

It isn't bold at all. The law basically says that if the infringement was willful, then the damages may be up to triple the cost. Since the jury said it was willful, this will likely happen.

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
I like how apple cries when other companies don't license their technologies under FRAND but when the tables are turned, apple uses the courts. Having the court fight in apples back yard was totally favored in apples way. Should have been in Texas or another place.
Hope Samsung gets a retrial in a neutral state. Sure Samsung should pay damages if proven wrong in a fair trial. Doubt it would be half that amount.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
As with most software patents, these included here are ridiculous.

I've bought each version of the iPhone since day one, and was extremely excited about iPhone 5 next month. I can't believe i'm saying this, but this is just so...ugly. I'll have to protest it the only way I really can, and switch to Android. The phone probably won't be as nice, but that's not the most important thing here in the long run.

I realise u are more than likely just trolling but good luck with that. Apple will have an extra bil in the bank and you will have a crap phone.Who will the loser be??? How does this case affect you anyway if you are not a shareholder. The posts about this case ridiculous both pro and against. Samsung copied but got sued and lost. Life goes on. My samsung tv is still working and my macbook is going fine too.

jj47

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Complete nonsense, pinch to zoom is the most practical and logical method of employing zoom on a mobile device. The fact that it is something that is there is a patent for is scary. This entire case was nonsensical at best.

Yes, it is the most logical and practical method but Apple were there first using their resources and innovativity to create the idea and put it in to practice. Refer to my earlier post. It is their idea.

Samsung could have easily added touch buttons for zooming, physical buttons near it's home buttons or even a touch slider on it's bezel. Plenty of options.

You can whine all you want but the truth is evident.

tooloud10

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
They already found that the infringement was willful, so why haven't they tripled it right away?

I think that it's technically up to the discretion of the judge, who has to 'manually' approve it. I think a lot of people are saying that it will probably happen.

MkNuII

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2011
Portugal
Damn near all the patents Apple got are frivolous. Its disgusting seeing how they got patents on such loose and obvious pseudo technologies, the whole system is broken.

This isnt bad for just Samsung, its bad for the consumer as well.

Everything is obvious at the end... the problem is to "come up" with these "obvious" things :)

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
There is no big deal here, it's just a news item for salivating Apple fans.

Of course Samsung will appeal, and the saga will continue for months to come and might have a totally different outcome in the end.

Apple fans are fools if they are salivating over this. There is nothing good coming from this verdict for the consumer.

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
I hope that this is a warning to all Android manufacturers, Apple means business. I hope that Samsung will take the path that Microsoft did and actually innovate instead of blatantly copying.

The best scenario for consumers is to have a choice, and if everyone's copying Apple, the consumers don't have much choice.

Really? After Apple has sued every other serious competitor into oblivion (rightfully or not), what choice are consumers left with? Apple, Apple and Apple. They are becoming the Big Brother they started out to fight against. This wasn't because of IP infringement, this was to cripple the only seruous competitor. Apple didn't go after the zillion other iPad clone manufacturers, they went after Samsung for one reason alone.

ahireasu

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Rounded icons is ridiculous as a patent however pinch and zoom was real innovation from Apple which they spent many of hours and money on R&D to create.

Completely sensible and jutifiable patent.

Why do i have this feeling that it was not apple's innovation but just that apple went and patent it?

Renzatic

Suspended
How are these software patents? They didn't patent algorithms, but designs and ideas.

Siri is a software patent, as is bounce back, tap to zoom, and everything else that came up in this case not directly related to physical design.

Software patents are like being able to patent the concept of a steam engine, rather than a specific implementation of one. All the improvements that came about from people designing a better steam engine than the one that was originally patented would've seen as infringing, because that first guy came up with the idea of using a heat engine that performs mechanical work using steam as a working fluid.

Like if someone else comes up with a tap to zoom that's 1000x more exact and implemented completely differently than Apple's current design, they're still infringing, because Apple now owns the rights to the very concept.

...and that's how software patents harm innovation.

pheniQS143

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2012
What does that have to do with anything? The fact a basic essential navigation tool can be patent is silly how does the iphone's popularity relate to ANYTHING I said?

If it were so basic why didn't you come up with it? It has nothing to do with apple's popularity, the fact remains that before apple came up with it, no touch screen phones before iphone had what you claim to be the "basic essential" navigation tool. The patent isn't just for the gesture, some group of people worked hard and long on it alone while no1 else ever thought of it. The patent is to ensure there intellectual security. Unlike your car mirror, more than one person figured that basic essential navigation at once.

tranceme

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
California, US
Damn near all the patents Apple got are frivolous. Its disgusting seeing how they got patents on such loose and obvious pseudo technologies, the whole system is broken.

I love how people say the patents are obvious. They are. Yet, why didn't anyone else patent before Apple did? It's obvious. So, why didn't you? Because you didn't think to patent it, did you? Monday morning quarterbacks are the best.

That being said, not sure some of the patents could have been done any other way. So, I agree with you on that note. But, still you have an idea, go for the patent. Don't complain because someone beat you to it.

In general, patents are bizarre and do stink in certain areas.

Last edited:

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England
How, exactly, is it good for consumers if every product is identical? Samsung will be forced to actually create something new, now. How is that bad?

On the other hand, what if Samsung just began to neglect selling certain phones in certain configurations in the United States?

If Samsung are aware that the laws in other countries, such as the United Kingdom, China or Australia wouldn't uphold such a result, you may see a full fat version released on these shores and a watered down version Stateside.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
If you think there's a jury on appeals, you probably should refrain from commenting on legal matters.

I have no idea what there will be, if there will be a professional judge all the better. Here we don't have juries handling court cases and I don't trust a jury doing the work of a judge, especially in these very high profile cases. In my opinion a jury simply cannot be trusted to provide a good ruling.

dmarcoot

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2007

Furthermore, when the iPhone was introduced there were only two responses, that it was revolutionary and it would be a failure. Those were not mutually exclusive. Not one i ever read or heard of said it was "obvious".

In fact it was so not obvious to the smart phone market leader at the time, RIM, their CEO's thought that Apple had faked the demo as it was seen as being technologically improbable.

ahireasu

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Remind me of the wildly popular touchscreen phones that had it before Apple.

Why?must be a product wildly popular or else it doesn't count if it has this "technology" "innovation" or whatever you call it?
Lets see what will happen if Google get the ok for the notification bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.