Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melb00m

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
This iPhone is comparable to the release of the iPhone 3G, they're best upgrade prior. Changing of network speed is the biggest upgrade you could ask for. If people don't buy it it asap, they'll be sure to get one when they see how fast their friends navigate websites and network apps.

Except that, given the first benchmark results, the iPhone 5 almost trippled the hardware speeds in comparison to the 4S and features a new design.

The 3G didn't feature much more compared to the classic except 3G. So it's actually not comparable and this release is much bigger. But still, haters gonna hate...

I for myself can't wait for Friday to arrive :)

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
On the off chance that this hasn't already gotten old:

sammysong.png

Last edited:

Smallworld69

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
I'm, the iPhone 5 has 1GB of Ram, Dual Core 1Ghz A6 processor... This combination has almost doubled the iPhones performance... How can you say "arguably"?.... Sigh... I wonder if you judge you unborn children as well?

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
It's like you're speaking Chinese. Sorry, I'm not following you. We're not talking about what Average Joe thinks about phones... the iPhone 5 is a very significant upgrade.

But in the context of this thread and my original post we are talking about what the Average Joe thinks about phones, as the majority of these record-breaking orders are going to have been placed by 'Average Joes', not iPhone geeks. That's why I'm surprised it's sold so well.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
But in the context of this thread and my original post we are talking about what the Average Joe thinks about phones, as the majority of these record-breaking orders are going to have been placed by 'Average Joes', not iPhone geeks. That's why I'm surprised it's sold so well.
Year after year of record-breaking sales of the iPhone... how are you surprised?

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011

If that's the case I don't think you're giving the "Average Joe's" the credit they deserve. Just like us they've pushed through the mega pixel wars, 1,000,000,000 to 1 contrast ratios, and 5inch cell phone screens to finally understand that all those specs don't always = a good experience. They'd rather have a refined reliable product then jump into a confusing spec race. With an iPhone you always know what youre getting. Personally I don't really care how my phone does what it does, as long as its fast enough for what I need and it runs the apps I want to use. I may be an iphone geek, but I think your "Average Joe" thinks the same.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009

I think you'r massively underestimating the Average Joe!

If, by Average Joe, you mean someone who doesn't understand what an ARMv7 instruction set is and wouldn't know the difference between Super AMOLED and ISP, yeah, you're right that most of these orders, the vast majority in fact, will have been placed by Average Joes. But these guys DO read the mainstream press and they DO know about Apple's upgrade cycles.

They know that the BIG upgrades to iPhone come every two years (what constitutes big in reality is debatable but that's the general belief of the mainstream buyers) and that iPhone 5 is a BIG upgrade. They may not know exactly why in technical terms but they have read the papers and seen tech journos going on about the A6 processor being a lot better than the A5 and how the new iPhone is way thinner and lighter than the last one. They do know about LTE even if they don't know what the difference between downstream and upstream is, for example - they just know LTE is bloody fast! They see 4", 16:9 screen and think it's a lot bigger and better for watching movies. They will have seen the pictures and noted how awesomely good to look at the new iPhone is. I mean, there's a lot here for people who know little about tech to get excited about.

Compare that to the 4S which was a big upgrade if you ask me, and this new one starts to look astonishingly good.

I've said it before but it bears repeating, the iPhone 5 is, by every measure, the biggest and most significant update to the iPhone line ever. It would be quicker to go through a list of what hasn't had a significant upgrade than to list all those things that have. There's state of the art technology in every aspect of this new phone and more than enough of that is clear to see to even the least tech-savvy individual.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Year after year of record-breaking sales of the iPhone... how are you surprised?

I just thought that the record-breaking couldn't go on for ever, and expected that this year would be the year when things maybe slowed down a bit - especially as the iPhone no longer seems to be the 'must have' accessory that it used to be, and with Android and even Windows Phone now being seen by some as alternatives worthy of consideration.

Happy to admit I've been proved wrong though.

Smallworld69

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Imagine if all the iPhone 5 users demanded AT&T return Unlimited, Unthrottled Data, or they are going to return the phones and change carriers.... I would think AT&T couldn't afford not to follow through...

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
And I guessed it sold out because of low supply or some ploys to hype the launch.. :(

----------

Can we put the conspiracy theories about withholding supply for marketing purposes to rest, now?

Since when you can talk common sense with Fandroids?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Nope, I did say 'arguably', and I'm looking at it from the point of view of the average iPhone buyer who's swayed by things like Siri, a compass and camera megapixels, not the minority (like us) who judge updates on RAM and processor specs. To the average iPhone buyer, iPhone 5 = taller screen and nice shiny metal back IMHO.

Let me ask you an honest question: why the hell do you care about processor spec? Can't you just go to Apple store and test drive them? If it's fast enough, why do you care what they put inside?

Personally I think to be one of the fastest and one to have the best battery life is a big big upgrade.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
So much for the people screaming Apples holding back stock to create a false demand. Can't they come up with a new line, its been the same statement for the last few years. :cool:

harry74

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Netherlands
Why are so many hyped about the IP5

I have had all Iphones, and i have been testing the IOS 6 Beta 4 on my IP 4S,and working with it for 2-3 months now, but nothing made say WOW...
Like a Picco Projector,they put a patent on ?
NFC ?

So does only speed counts, or is it a HYPE ?
If Tim Cook ***** on piece of Alu, and calls it a Ishit, will it hit 2.000.000 in a weekend ?
Some things are strange in this World.

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
I don't believe Apple withheld stock to surprise a few people with launch day phones.
I believe manufacturing of phones is ongoing. So if they had 1.5 million iphones ready on 9/14 at 12:00 am, and they all sold out, they are still manufacturing phones on the 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th.
Hypothetically (because we don't know actual numbers), promising 2 million orders launch day delivery would be a poor business decision. Promise the orders you can ship on 9/14th, not the orders you can ship on 9/21.
If there are extra phones on hand between 9/14 and 9/21 that can be shipped for a 9/21 arrival, it's much easier to backtrack and say "Hey, your order will actually be ready for 9/21" vs. "Hey, I know we promised your order for 9/21, but it will actually be ready in 2-3 weeks."

Seriously, people need to use common sense on macrumors, it's killing me.

I'm hedging my bets on 1.3 mil. I'm sure they had display issues in production that probably slowed down the manufacturing process greatly.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So much for Samsung's ad. :apple:

That was _before_ Samsung's ad. And everyone knows that a Samsung ad would be one hundred percent truthful and reliable, since Samsung is an ethical company that has only five convictions for price fixing in the last twelve months, and has no evidence of child labour in China, so they will now all cancel their pre-orders.

Damn! I just saw the Samsung ad.
Is it too late to cancel my iPhone order?

As I said. One trusting soul who believes in truth in Samsung advertising. (BTW Google seems to show lots of people complaining about the S3 standby battery drain issue).

Last edited:

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Let me ask you an honest question: why the hell do you care about processor spec? Can't you just go to Apple store and test drive them? If it's fast enough, why do you care what they put inside?

Personally I think to be one of the fastest and one to have the best battery life is a big big upgrade.

Personally, I don't - I was just trying to reflect what other MacRumors members were quoting as reasons for upgrading.

I'd love to be able to poll everyone who's preordered and see what their reasons for upgrading were (and weren't).

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Given that the iPhone 5 is arguably the least significant update the iPhone has had, I'm really surprised.

I'll correct this: Given that the iPhone 5 is in your opinion the least significant update the iPhone has had, you are really surprised. It would seem that millions of people have a different opinion on it.

The update is actually quite significant. But the people with a one year old 4S that is still under contract are not the ones that are pre-ordering, it's the ones with a two year old iPhone 4. The ones who wouldn't pay to get out of their contract one year ago when the iPhone 4S was released. iPhone 4S owners will be queuing up pre-ordering the iPhone 5S next year.

No, this is just Apple withholding stock! Oh wait... :rolleyes:

I'm really wondering why people think a company would withhold stock to create an artificial shortage. Maybe it's just me, but I will _never_ queue up for a new device. If it's not available for delivery very soon, I'm not going to order it. Does anyone actually buy a phone _because it is sold out_?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.