Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
Figured this would fit into the topic at hand... pun very much intended since Apple says this in the iPhone 5 introduction materials:

Apple said:
A crystalline diamond is used to cut the chamfers of iPhone 5. This process gives the beveled edge its beautiful sheen.

scuffing.jpg

----------

Holding Apple to an impossible standard isn't healthy for anyone IMO.

I completely agree: look what it did for Steve Jobs.

xiacexi

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
i doubt it considering i watched a video where a guy took keys to it and then when he was done wiped the marks right off.

That was the back, not the sides where the problem is. See when he takes the knife to the side in that same video? Each time there are marks on the side.

evanr67

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
According to Apple Support Profile, my replacement black iPhone was manufactured Week 37, Factory F2. (which has been listed under "flawless").

For the record, my current scuffed iPhone 5 is Week 34, Factory DN (which has been listed under chipped).

I'll be able to independently (but not conclusively) shed some light on how valid the premise that this issue is on a factory per factory basis.

How can you see this information about who and when they made your iphone 5 I have an issue with mine and wanted to check this information also I went to the support page and clicked on the serial number but it doesn't have anymore information any help would be appreciated

JoeRalat

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2008
Hey my black iPhone 5 has a bad chunk of black missing on the bevel. I take care of my phone still have the plastic on it. Was waiting for my case, but will call Monday for a replacement.
My phone was made in Aug, so one of the first off the line. I wished they used the old frame from the 4/4s

Name: iPhone 5 (GSM model: AT&T and Canada)
ModelCode: iphone_5
Model Number: MD
Group1: iPhone
Group2:
Generation: 7
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 33 (August)
Screen size: 4 inch
Screen resolution: 1136x640 pixels
Colour: Black
Capacity: 64GB
Factory: DN (China, Chengdu - Foxconn)

evanr67

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
How can you see this information about who and when they made your iphone 5 I have an issue with mine and wanted to check this information also I went to the support page and clicked on the serial number but it doesn't have anymore information any help would be appreciated

Ahhh found it so glad I did I thought it was just my phone that was defective turns out they have manufacturing problems

Name: iPhone 5 (GSM model: AT&T and Canada)
ModelCode: iphone_5
Model Number: MD644
Group1: iPhone
Group2:
Generation: 7
Model introduced: 2012
Production year: 2012
Production week: 36 (September)
Family name: Become a pro user to see this information. (sorry)
Screen size: 4 inch
Screen resolution: 1136x640 pixels
Colour: Black
Capacity: 64GB
Factory: DN (China, Chengdu - Foxconn)

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
A car and a laptop are not products meant to be crammed in a pocket or consistently brushed against other objects.

You must have a really cheap rubber watch because my $9,000 Rolex definitely has scuffs on the stainless steel bracelet.

Your expectations are foolish. Buy another cellphone. Stop whining about nothing.

BJ

Yes because we are ALL rich b******* who can just walk around and put money down on anything we like.....

Ugh, please. People with tons of money or enough cash to go and buy another £700 phone always say stupid crap like this

nba1341

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
My $50,000 BMW has a $1,200 windshield that after 1 month of driving has tiny chips and scratches. It's a windshield, it rubs up against the elements, it's expected to function perfectly but have minor cosmetic wear. Just like a cellphone.

BJ

If you have a chip on your windshield then you either

a) Drive on some ****** roads
b) Drive behind big trucks like an idiot

My 14 year old car has no chips on windshield hrmm why not?

This thread is pathetic.

I have a tiny little scuff on mine, but honestly, whatever. It's a phone, not a display piece. It gets used, and it will get scuffed up a bit.

Get over yourselves.

Apple CEO Tim Cook at press release states how this is the best looking iPhone ever and doesn't even need a case.

Why should people not get mad?

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Apple seem to have changed their policy on forum threads & (perhaps surprisingly) have left a very critical thread to develop. There really are some understandably harsh comments on the thread, especially several directed toward Jony Ive and the design marketing claims.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4326970?start=165&tstart=0

Interesting tweet here too from the source that broke the news on build quality before the phone was released;

Off The Great Wall (@ntdOTGW)
24/09/2012 03:39
Don't want to say it... but.... Told you so... 2 weeks ago. ow.ly/dVNLC Foxconn worker claims iPhone 5 is poorly made. #Scuffgate

Last edited:

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Yes because we are ALL rich b******* who can just walk around and put money down on anything we like.....

Ugh, please. People with tons of money or enough cash to go and buy another £700 phone always say stupid crap like this

In my experience, it's the folks trying to show off and pretend they're rich that are the ones who drop prices and brand names left and right. The rich never reveal details.

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
In my experience, it's the folks trying to show off and pretend they're rich that are the ones who drop prices and brand names left and right. The rich never reveal details.

I agree, those types of human beings suffer from "Arrogant, Unwarranted Self Importance"

This is a major red flag as to their emotional maturity and insecurity issues. But hey! best thing about that is, they can afford a shrink ;)

atlatnesiti

Suspended
Sep 4, 2008
Sydney, Australia

After reading all these posts and looking at the pictures of affected iPhones 5, I am beginning to think that most of the scuffs are man made.
I am not implying that the owners are creating these, but I'm thinking that someones hand was definitely responsible for it.
I'm thinking that Foxconn workers are doing it on purpose ( these scuffs are to random to be manufacturing fault) - in the the protest to their working conditions...
Just a thought...

deeelz

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Quick question - the replacements you guys are getting are they refurbs or brand new phones?

And do they come with accessories or just the phone?

lentini

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Quick question - the replacements you guys are getting are they refurbs or brand new phones?

According to the missus, my replacement is a brand new, sealed retail unit

4rtemidis

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Switzerland
Ok after reading this thread I don't know what to do...
Should I buy the black?
I think it's so much better looking than the white phone... But then there's this scuff issue...

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
A car and a laptop are not products meant to be crammed in a pocket or consistently brushed against other objects.

You must have a really cheap rubber watch because my $9,000 Rolex definitely has scuffs on the stainless steel bracelet.

Your expectations are foolish. Buy another cellphone. Stop whining about nothing.

BJ

Or he could have a hundred grand Patek with a leather band.

It's not whining about nothing, it's hoping to get something that isn't damaged out of the box. I've rejected watches, phones and other things for this reason many times.

I'd love to do business with you- it seems like you're fine with paying top dollar for damaged products. I actually have a gorgeous BMW 3-series Coupe that I'd love to sell you at MSRP. It has a beautiful Coral Red Dakota Leather interior, blacked out rims for that sporty look, and many factory options such as Bi-Xenon headlights, power-folding mirrors and the iDrive navigation system with real time traffic updates and iPod connectivity.

bmw-3-series-coupe-t_600x0w.jpg

So Mr James, will you be paying by cash or Amex Centurion today? I trust a man of your caliber does not deal with car payment options- which are for poor people- like 'leasing' or 'financing'.

Don't worry about him, he just goes around this board dropping brand names and price tags as if it impresses us. I doubt he's actually able to go out and buy another $1000 phone (or $10,000,000 villa) at the drop of a hat: people who can genuinely do that are very discreet about their wealth.

Last edited:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I got my White 64GB in O2 in the UK about 30 mins after launch and glad I chose white. Saw the coating coming off of the black display models soon after the store opened. OK so the display models were in those clamp things to stop them being nicked, but even in that small time, the rubbing from the clamp had caused the coating to wear away showing bare alluminium underneath.

P.S. To save me wading through this thread, how are you guys getting this info about what week your phone was manufactured, and what factory?

Cheers
G.

ArztMac

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011

All replacements in the first 4-6 weeks will be genuine brand-new products. After that, replacements are most likely refurbs.

A good strategy is to buy Apple products on launch day, and swap within the first few weeks if there are quality issues... After 2 months or so, all you will get as replacements are refurbished products. Refurbished units bear a higher probability risk to have other defects such as defective screens, bad WiFi, etc... There had to be a reason why they were returned after all.

And honestly, if I pay up to $1000 for a phone or up to $3000 for a laptop, I want to be sure that it is a factory brand new items that has never been used before, not some kind of returned product...

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
I got my White 64GB in O2 in the UK about 30 mins after launch and glad I chose white. Saw the coating coming off of the black display models soon after the store opened. OK so the display models were in those clamp things to stop them being nicked, but even in that small time, the rubbing from the clamp had caused the coating to wear away showing bare alluminium underneath.

P.S. To save me wading through this thread, how are you guys getting this info about what week your phone was manufactured, and what factory?

Cheers
G.

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
After reading all these posts and looking at the pictures of affected iPhones 5, I am beginning to think that most of the scuffs are man made.
I am not implying that the owners are creating these, but I'm thinking that someones hand was definitely responsible for it.
I'm thinking that Foxconn workers are doing it on purpose ( these scuffs are to random to be manufacturing fault) - in the the protest to their working conditions...
Just a thought...

Ok I am not an engineer, well ok I am , but not with Anodized materials , but something did cross my mind.

I looked up how Anodizing is done. If you look at how the iphone is engineered you can see that white flakes of aluminium are flying off as the tool rounds the device. These are under a lot of friction and heat and are most likely "Sticking" to the device as the tool does it's job. The white flakes are flying off as you can see in the video and some of them DO settle back onto the device.

Look here : Time: 04:55 - you can see white flakes sticking to the actual device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLCvajE7sgM

What chemicals will attack an anodize? High heat may be an issue. When tools which rotate at certain high speeds touch a device it causes friction and heat.

Anodizing increases corrosion resistance and wear resistance, and provides better adhesion for paint primers and glues than bare metal. Anodic films can also be used for a number of cosmetic effects, either with thick porous coatings that can absorb dyes or with thin transparent coatings that add interference effects to reflected light.

Anodization changes the microscopic texture of the surface and can change the Crystal Scructure of the metal near the surface. Coatings are often porous, thick ones inevitably so, so a sealing process is often used to improve corrosion resistance.

Anodic films are generally much stronger and more adherent than most paints and platings, making them less likely to crack and peel. Anodic films are most commonly applied to protect aluminuim

atlatnesiti

Suspended
Sep 4, 2008
Sydney, Australia
All replacements in the first 4-6 weeks will be genuine brand-new products. After that, replacements are most likely refurbs.

A good strategy is to buy Apple products on launch day, and swap within the first few weeks if there are quality issues... After 2 months or so, all you will get as replacements are refurbished products. Refurbished units bear a higher probability risk to have other defects such as defective screens, bad WiFi, etc... There had to be a reason why they were returned after all.

And honestly, if I pay up to $1000 for a phone or up to $3000 for a laptop, I want to be sure that it is a factory brand new items that has never been used before, not some kind of returned product...
Refurbs are usually more robust and definitely more defect free than original "boxed" units. They are thoroughly tested by Apple not Foxconn worker... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.