Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:27 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's Split with Google Over iOS Maps Driven by Turn-by-Turn Navigation Dispute

Reports about the high-profile split between Apple and Google that saw Apple replace its Google-powered Maps app for iOS with its own solution have continued to trickle out, with AllThingsD now reporting that the lack of turn-by-turn directions on Google's Maps app for iOS was the key motivator for Apple.
Quote:
[M]ultiple sources familiar with Apple's thinking say the company felt it had no choice but to replace Google maps with its own because of a disagreement over a key feature: Voice-guided turn-by-turn driving directions.

Spoken turn-by-turn navigation has been a free service offered through Google's Android mobile OS for a few years now. But it was never part of the deal that brought Google's maps to iOS. And Apple very much wanted it to be. Requiring iPhone users to look directly at handsets for directions and manually move through each step while Android users enjoyed native voice-guided instructions put Apple at a clear disadvantage in the mobile space. And having chosen Google as its original mapping partner, the iPhone-maker was now in a position where an arch rival was calling the shots on functionality important to the iOS maps feature set.
Apple reportedly pushed hard for voice navigation in Google's maps on iOS, but Google was unwilling to hand over the functionality without concessions from Apple. As detailed by other sources, Google was seeking greater control over the mapping experience on the iPhone, such as Google branding and Google Latitude integration, concessions Apple was unwilling to make.

Combined with the deterioration of the overall Apple-Google relationship and Apple's concerns that Google was collecting too much information from iOS users, Apple ramped up its mapping efforts in order to bring its own turn-by-turn directions to the device, ultimately deciding that it could afford to do away entirely with Google's maps.

Article Link: Apple's Split with Google Over iOS Maps Driven by Turn-by-Turn Navigation Dispute
MacRumors is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:29 PM   #2
NachoGrande
macrumors 6502

Well that makes me feel a little bit better about the crappy map data. I'd rather have turn-by-turn.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:29 PM   #3
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030

Sometimes, it really does just boil down to boys fighting over epeen sizes.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:29 PM   #4
danpass
macrumors 68020

I'd always figured the lack of turn by turn was about control.
danpass is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:29 PM   #5
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

They had all of these disputes yet google was still surprised guys.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Aquaduck04
macrumors member

A bit ironic that the dispute was driven by turn by turn directions...
Aquaduck04 is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:30 PM   #7
blockhed
macrumors newbie

Best explanation yet

This is the best explanation yet for how Apple got in to this mess. It seems like a good reason for Apple to break ties with Google, and I have faith that very soon... weeks or months, Apple's map app will be very good, even superior to what Google offers. Thanks for the article
blockhed is offline   49 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:30 PM   #8
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

I love the new turn-by-turn. But Apple does need to step it up. I'm surprised that they'd release it as is given they had a year left with Google to work on it.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:30 PM   #9
Small White Car
macrumors G4

I think John Gruber laid it out best by showing this as '3 options Apple faced'. When you look at it that way it makes more sense. (Even if you still don't like it.)

It was like a band-aid that Apple needed to pull off. They decided to do it quickly. Very painful, but probably better than dragging it out longer.
Small White Car is offline   38 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:31 PM   #10
slrandall
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
and Apple's concerns that Google was collecting too much information from iOS users
"Don't be evil"
slrandall is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:31 PM   #11
applesith
macrumors 68000

It's no secret Google has been holding back on iOS Maps. While this all sucks it seemed it was inevitable. Neither party wants to give more access to the other.
applesith is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:31 PM   #12
futbalguy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoGrande View Post
Well that makes me feel a little bit better about the crappy map data. I'd rather have turn-by-turn.
Still think they could have done both. They didnt need to kick google out before they launched Apple maps.
futbalguy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:32 PM   #13
vpndev
macrumors regular

considered response

It might have been a more considered response upon Apple's part to introduce the new Maps with iOS 6, without canning the existing Google-based version.

That way they'd have had a year (the year remaining on their contract) to get the new version up-to-speed.

Instead they're dealing with a first-rate cluster****.

This is a rare, self-inflicted fiasco.
vpndev is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:32 PM   #14
kappaknight
macrumors 65816

Competition is good and this is only the beginning.
kappaknight is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:32 PM   #15
Illusion986
macrumors 6502

YEY now i have turn by turn directions that tell me to merge on a freeway that is no where in sight! But i still have hope one day it will get better...first mms, then copy/paste, now maps...i wonder whats next? Search engine?
Illusion986 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:33 PM   #16
Cynicalone
macrumors 68040

The question is when do they dump Google as the default search engine for iOS.
Cynicalone is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:33 PM   #17
bboucher790
macrumors 6502a

Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:34 PM   #18
NAG
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
I think John Gruber laid it out best with the 3 options Apple faced. When you look at it that way it makes more sense. (Even if you still don't like it.)

It was like a band-aid that Apple needed to pull off. They decided to do it quickly. Very painful, but probably better than dragging it out longer.
Not the first time he stated that either (although this is the best he has explained it).
NAG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:34 PM   #19
Scrub175
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpndev View Post
It might have been a more considered response upon Apple's part to introduce the new Maps with iOS 6, without canning the existing Google-based version.

That way they'd have had a year (the year remaining on their contract) to get the new version up-to-speed.

Instead they're dealing with a first-rate cluster****.

This is a rare, self-inflicted fiasco.
Improvements require user feedback. If google maps stayed the folks would never opt to use apple maps. It was a necessary evil.
Scrub175 is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:34 PM   #20
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

Maybe iOS 6.5 can reverse this Map direction and go back to a new and improved Google Maps.

Keep the Apple Maps as a free Joke App.
BornAgainMac is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:35 PM   #21
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

So basically both sides were stubborn bastards.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised. The price of progress I guess...
zorinlynx is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:37 PM   #22
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Good. Who the hell wants Google's stupid branding all over things when the product is paid for already?
Kaibelf is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:38 PM   #23
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Google will be better off with a tird party app in the app store for people that don't mind using Google services. It wouldn't have been right giving Google even more control over core features of the OS which not all users would have wanted IMO.

That way, I get to use a Google maps app that syncs with my Android devices and Google Maps web searches and other users that are averse to Google's business geting get to steer clear of Google with Apple's solution.

Win/Win IMO. Things will get better.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:39 PM   #24
bryanl
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockhed View Post
This is the best explanation yet for how Apple got in to this mess. It seems like a good reason for Apple to break ties with Google, and I have faith that very soon... weeks or months, Apple's map app will be very good, even superior to what Google offers. Thanks for the article
This isn't a religion. There are real people working to deliver you the best product they can on both sides.
bryanl is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:40 PM   #25
212rikanmofo
macrumors 6502a

I don't want my phone slowly turning into an Android. Thank god that Apple pulled away to do things their way. Apple map looks a lot sexier and cleaner than google maps. Give it time and I am sure it will be a lot better. Turn by turn navigation works really well for me and the way apple implemented into iOS is drop dead gorgeous. Doesn't feel cheap and bloated like other other phones.
212rikanmofo is offline   27 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion