Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
A world of difference even though the goals may overlap.

Fusion Drive's total capacity is 1.128TB. A regular hybrid drive caching system is 1TB with the same disk.

"To be clear, this is not a caching concept, at least not in the current use of the word. Cache would imply that the data on the SSD is duplicated, and it's not. If you have a 1TB mechanical drive paired with the 128GB SSD, you have a 1.12 TB storage platform. This truly is the fusion of all the space on two separate disks."

It is indeed a different solution but the pros and cons are not that clear. The fact that total capacity is combined might sound good but in desktop reality nowadays one would probably need to have at least 2TB HDD and, because of the cost, SSD size in most cases will be limited to 128GB. The difference in capacity between two solutions is about 5%. At the same time, caching system is more reliable because the file system will not be affected in the case of SSD failure (both solutions will fail when HDD fails).

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
It is indeed a different solution but the pros and cons are not that clear. The fact that total capacity is combined might sound good but in desktop reality nowadays one would probably need to have at least 2TB HDD and, because of the cost, SSD size in most cases will be limited to 128GB. The difference in capacity between two solutions is about 5%. At the same time, caching system is more reliable because the file system will not be affected in the case of SSD failure (both solutions will fail when HDD fails).

Huh ? You can get a 3TB Fusion drive if 1TB is too small for you. Did you watch the presentation at all ?

A caching system may not speed up much. My Momentus TX doesn't really improve performance anywhere near what Phil's Fusion Drive chart shows. In fact, I didn't notice much difference. If the entire file I'm working on is in the SSD, then yes, it'd be fast like my MBA.

The entire 128Gb SSD won't fail at the same time. Apple bought Anobit earlier to detect and sidestep isolated SSD failures.

My MBA has 512Gb SSD and it works like a charm. I don't believe in any FUD you guys try to spread here.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
I'm assuming they worked it out so that Time Machine sees it as one drive, but wonder if 3rd party apps like Super Duper will have to be updated for it.

I personally don't like the idea. It would make me nervous to add a level of complexity like that.

Mac OSX is already moving files around your disk so that frequently used ones are near the outer rim of the disk. Modern OS is already very complex. This should be less complex than RAID stuff.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
This is nice tech, but in my opinion Apple has come too late.

I can get a 512 GB flash drive for under 400$ nowadays, which is more than enough for what I need. No magical drive switching just plain old fast flash storage.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
This is nice tech, but in my opinion Apple has come too late.

I can get a 512 GB flash drive for under 400$ nowadays, which is more than enough for what I need. No magical drive switching just plain old fast flash storage.

I already have 512Gb SSD and I need more ! ^_^ 3TB sounds good.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Personally, an SSD boot drive and separate large HD seems more practical. No need to "fuse" them into one volume. Just seems like asking for trouble.

Definitely true for pros and heavy users, but this seems like the perfect solution for the average computer illiterate :apple: user.

----------

I already have 512Gb SSD and I need more ! ^_^ 3TB sounds good.

Ya thats the problem, I need a TB and the OWC Mercury Electra is the only one I've found, and its over 1k and only 3G. Anyone know of a 6G SSD >512GB?

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
Don't SSDs have a limited number of read/write cycles? I wonder how long this system will function before it needs to be replaced?

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
They have commoditized tiered storage it seems.

High end SANs and ZFS have been doing this for years.

Which ZFS feature are you referring to ?

----------

Don't SSDs have a limited number of read/write cycles? I wonder how long this system will function before it needs to be replaced?

Well, they have been selling SSD-based MBA for years. The max. number of SSD writes should last equally or longer than mechanical drives for consumer apps now.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Mac OSX is already moving files around your disk so that frequently used ones are near the outer rim of the disk. Modern OS is already very complex. This should be less complex than RAID stuff.

Did not know that, very interesting. Although, I use Safari every day and it still takes way too many bounces on that first launch (I still have the stock 5400 RPM HDD, though)!

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Did not know that, very interesting. Although, I use Safari every day and it still takes way too many bounces on that first launch (I still have the stock 5400 RPM HDD, though)!

I can't stand 5400rpm HDD. I changed the ones in my PS3 too. Everything has to be 7200rpm at least or SSD for me now.

theturn

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2012
I wonder if you can turn it off much like you can for time machine, I am also interested to know if there will be a bto option for 768gb SSD plus 3tb HD. I can manage my own workflow and don't want to risk anything with files spanned across two logical volumes when my workflow doesn't even need it...

from the looks of it mac mini doesn't allow for a btw option with full ssd and HD..

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Splitting your ZIL and L2ARC off onto an SSD.

Edit:
yes its technically caching. More so the apple has been done with bigger SAN devices already with storage tiering.

Yeah Fusion Drive is not caching. Not the same thing.

The larger enterprise info lifecycle management, and high end SAN platforms may have similar concepts, but this one works within one system, and is managed in real-time by Mac OSX automatically. Which SAN devices are you thinking of ?

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Don't let you fool yourself.

It's different because Fusion Drive is not a caching system. That's probably why they chose the name "Fused". The data resides on both disks and do not duplicate. It's like the disks are combined together. Your storage size should be 1.128 TB here theoretically.

The OCZ tech is "just" another hybrid drive caching system.

Funny usualy its "specs dont matter its the end result for users thats important" unless its something people think apple "invented" "brought first to market" then the smallest details matter.

Again wether the SDD is used solely as cache or as a disk with just frequently used files it was already done before .

Btw, I do hope people relise this might not be the optimum way for an SSD to be used, they still have only (consumer grade ssd's) 5-10 000 write cycles, using it only for heavy used files will speed up the process cell wear out.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Funny usualy its "specs dont matter its the end result for users thats important" unless its something people think apple "invented" "brought first to market" then the smallest details matter.

Again wether the SDD is used solely as cache or as a disk with just frequently used files it was already done before .

Btw, I do hope people relise this might not be the optimum way for an SSD to be used, they still have only (consumer grade ssd's) 5-10 000 write cycles, using it only for heavy used files will speed up the process cell wear out.

It is moot to discuss whether "specs matters or not matters". Fusion Drive allows the users to have SSD-like speed with mechanical HDD-like storage size. The way it works is different from regular hybrid drives. I have tried those approaches and I know they don't work that well. But if it's integrated into the OS, then I think it will be more effective. As someone mentioned, it's effective when we do it manually. This system does it automatically for us. There will be some overhead, but the gain should be noticeable.

Mechanical HDD wears out too. For consumer apps, the SSD write cycles should be good enough (as good as, or better than mechanical HDD wears). Unless you're running a commercial database server that writes data continuously (i.e., non-stop), it won't matter. Those servers will run on high speed parallel storage system anyway.

----------

But at least it's thin and looks cool.

Yes ! And also the reliability point may be misguided. Without Fusion Drive, you're limited to SSD _or_ HDD, and you have to move the files yourself. The reliability for managing both SSD and HDD yourself is the same as Fusion Drive, but in Fusion Drive, Mac OSX automate the process for you.

Last edited:

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Meh....

I personally think it's all marketing hocus pocus to distract people from the sad fact that the Mac lineup is shifting to where one can no longer upgrade memory or anything else, and will be shackled to Apple's extortionist upgrade pricing. Make no mistake: that memory is soldered on the board for profit. Pretty soon the SSD's will be soldered on as well.

If Apple actually does release a new Mac Pro in "late 2013" I would not be surprised at all if they came with the memory soldered on the board.
(But the Mac Pro is about upgrade-ability and expandability which Apple hates, which is why it finds itself on death row).

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Huh ? You can get a 3TB Fusion drive if 1TB is too small for you. Did you watch the presentation at all ?

A caching system may not speed up much. My Momentus TX doesn't really improve performance anywhere near what Phil's Fusion Drive chart shows. In fact, I didn't notice much difference. If the entire file I'm working on is in the SSD, then yes, it'd be fast like my MBA.

The entire 128Gb SSD won't fail at the same time. Apple bought Anobit earlier to detect and sidestep isolated SSD failures.

My MBA has 512Gb SSD and it works like a charm. I don't believe in any FUD you guys try to spread here.

You are not understanding what he is saying , he has 2 points:

1 : Most people dont need 1 TB of disk space capable of being put on an ssd for fast recovery .

2 : If the DRIVE fails you loose both the SSD and HDD, he isnt talking about a sector or cell he is talking about the drive itself. (of course this goes for any drive, backup is the message)

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Meh....

I personally think it's all marketing hocus pocus to distract people from the sad fact that the Mac lineup is shifting to where one can no longer upgrade memory or anything else, and will be shackled to Apple's extortionist upgrade pricing. Make no mistake: that memory is soldered on the board for profit. Pretty soon the SSD's will be soldered on as well.

If Apple actually does release a new Mac Pro in "late 2013" I would not be surprised at all if they came with the memory soldered on the board.
(But the Mac Pro is about upgrade-ability and expandability which Apple hates, which is why it finds itself on death row).

Well, I can still upgrade my 2012 MBA. MacBook Pro Retina can take memory upgrade too.

You should be able to get other types of HDD too. You don't have to use Fusion Drive if you don't want to.

----------

You are not understanding what he is saying , he has 2 points:

1 : Most people dont need 1 TB of disk space capable of being put on an ssd for fast recovery .

2 : If the DRIVE fails you loose both the SSD and HDD, he isnt talking about a sector or cell he is talking about the drive itself. (of course this goes for any drive, backup is the message)

I understood him correctly. Both points are moot. There are 1TB and 3TB config. Whether most people need 1TB or 3TB, the market will decide.

If the drive fails, it would be no different from losing a hybrid drive. If you only want to compare with a pure SSD or pure HDD, then get a pure SDD or HDD. If you want to get a regular hybrid drive, then it may be better to get Fusion Drive. The choice is yours.

EDIT: In fact, NBC News says that the SSD part and the HDD part can be updated or replaced separately.

Last edited:

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
It is moot to discuss whether "specs matters or not matters". Fusion Drive allows the users to have SSD-like speed with mechanical HDD-like storage size.
BS, apple marketing FUD (still amazed how many people fall for that)

You have a disk with 128GB of SSD and x of HDD

Take for example an iphoto library of 250 GB if you acces its fully all the time do you think the entire 250GB will be on SSD speeds? (if the hybrid disk is capable of giving normal sdd speeds with the added layer)

No it wont, part of it wil part of it wont.

The only thing this does is decide wich gets accesed a lot for you, but you till only have 128GB of SSD .

The way it works is different from regular hybrid drives. I have tried those approaches and I know they don't work that well. But if it's integrated into the OS, then I think it will be more effective. As someone mentioned, it's effective when we do it manually. This system does it automatically for us. There will be some overhead, but the gain should be noticeable.
So is the gain on an caching with SSD or just an ssd , its nice its integrated into the OS and its good to see apple innovating again in desktop market besides making things thinner .

Mechanical HDD wears out too. For consumer apps, the SSD write cycles should be good enough (as good as, or better than mechanical HDD wears). Unless you're running a commercial database server that writes data continuously (i.e., non-stop), it won't matter. Those servers will run on high speed parallel storage system anyway.
Write cycles SSD is a lot worse then HDD overal reliability is about the same .

Yes ! And also the reliability point may be misguided. Without Fusion Drive, you're limited to SSD _or_ HDD, and you have to move the files yourself. The reliability for managing both SSD and HDD yourself is the same as Fusion Drive, but in Fusion Drive, Mac OSX automate the process for you.

And that is the biggest difference between the 2 , not reliability or suddenly vastly increased fast storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.