Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Ah you mean main memory. Yes, it's soldered on ! Have to sell your system and buy another one. 8^(

We are talking about SSD here !

I was talking about both. My point was, you can see where this is all heading. Eventually the end user won't be able to upgrade anything on their own, and be forced into Apple's "upgrade" pricing which amounts to nothing more than highway robbery.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
BS, apple marketing FUD (still amazed how many people fall for that)

You have a disk with 128GB of SSD and x of HDD

Take for example an iphoto library of 250 GB if you acces its fully all the time do you think the entire 250GB will be on SSD speeds? (if the hybrid disk is capable of giving normal sdd speeds with the added layer)

No it wont, part of it wil part of it wont.

The only thing this does is decide wich gets accesed a lot for you, but you till only have 128GB of SSD .

That's not FUD. FUD stands for Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. Why would Apple use FUD on itself ?

Of course you won't magically get 250GB out of 128GB of SSD. The gain would be calculated based on all your use cases averaged out. Some of your iPhoto access will be faster, some will remain HDD speed. After you close iPhoto and use other apps, the behavior will change again. Frequently used system files will also likely be on the SSD. So the speedup may be there already.

So is the gain on an caching with SSD or just an ssd , its nice its integrated into the OS and its good to see apple innovating again in desktop market besides making things thinner .

Write cycles SSD is a lot worse then HDD overal reliability is about the same .

Not really.

And that is the biggest difference between the 2 , not reliability or suddenly vastly increased fast storage.

Not reliability. There is no data mirroring here. But faster is a good possibility simply because your most used files are on the SSD. Most likely frequently used system files, plus some user files.

----------

I was talking about both. My point was, you can see where this is all heading. Eventually the end user won't be able to upgrade anything on their own, and be forced into Apple's "upgrade" pricing which amounts to nothing more than highway robbery.

We shall see ! If they swing too far, users will revolt.

MCP-511

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
Having gotten burnt by the failed 1TB drives in previous models, I specifically bought an SSD drive to avoid such failure in the future. Eventually that mechanical part will fail, its only a matter of time. Then you have what, a wasted SSD/magnetic drive as a paper weight. No thanks.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
[...] Meanwhile, they note that all writes take place on the SSD drive, and are later moved to the mechanical drive if needed, resulting in faster initial writes. [...]

Interesting. Sounds like an extension of the CPU-to-cache-memory concept in some general ways. To make things run faster, the CPU doesn't store all data to RAM over the system memory bus. It uses much faster on-board memory, which also happens to be much more expensive than ordinary DRAM. Fusion drive (and other more primitive hybrid SSD - HDD technologies) is an extension of that concept to the file system.

[...] The Fusion will be available for the new iMac and new Mac mini models announced today.

Not the non-Retina MacBook Pro? The Retina MB Pros are all-SSD, but why not offer Fusion in the base MB Pros?

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
This feature is perfect during this HD to SDD transitional period. It'll keep things affordable while still supplying great performance.
1) Where'd you get "affordable"? No prices have been announced, but since it's Apple, they will make somehow sure that this drive costs more than an SSD and an HDD combined.

2) We're pretty far into that transition already. Good SSDs like the Samsung 830 have come down a lot in price to the point where mere mortals can pick one up without eating cup noodles for the rest of the month. It's just that Apple wants 4 times the street price for one. They're holding back the transition by pricing a commodity item like it was revolutionary tech obtained from aliens.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
[...] Eventually that mechanical part will fail, its only a matter of time. Then you have what, a wasted SSD/magnetic drive as a paper weight. No thanks.

Nope. 3rd party drives can replace the failed HDD in a Fusion drive.

MacRumors said:
The Mac Observer reports that there are two separate drives that appear as one logical partition. As a result, if your Hard Drive fails, it could be replaced with a 3rd party drive and reconfigured as a Fusion Drive.

----------

1) Where'd you get "affordable"? No prices have been announced, but since it's Apple, they will make somehow sure that this drive costs more than an SSD and an HDD combined.

2) We're pretty far into that transition already. Good SSDs like the Samsung 830 have come down a lot in price to the point where mere mortals can pick one up without eating cup noodles for the rest of the month. It's just that Apple wants 4 times the street price for one. They're holding back the transition by pricing a commodity item like it was revolutionary tech obtained from aliens.

Like you said: "No prices have been announced, ..."

So save your whining until they have been announced. M'kay?

sinfonye

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
That's a silly distinction to make. AMD's processors have used exclusive caches for years, where data is not duplicated across cache levels. I'm not sure why we should have a different definition for caches for secondary storage.

Also, if data is not duplicated, where does the extra 128 GB go? (Honest question.)

As I read it, it's not a cache - the two drives are simply "fused" into one larger virtual drive. Access to some of the data is faster than to other parts of the data, but all of it is main storage - there is no replication from a higher level as in a cache. AMD processor cache presumably replicates data from main memory (unless there's some allocate-in-cache scheme for short-lived data).

It looks like an interesting technical solution to the problem of large drives with fast access at low cost. I'd hesitate to say that something similar has never been done before, though!

As an aside, I recently discovered an unexpected problem with SSD when my MBA took a coffee bath. The SSD was unrecoverable, since the chips were damaged. A disk, being sealed, could probably have been recovered. Luckily I had good backups...

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005

Yeah, let's wait for the announcement, because we have noooooooo way of predicting that Apple's BTO pricing will follow the usual pattern. Maybe THIS time there will be a sudden shift in strategy? Maybe if you look out the window, THIS time there will be blue fairies performing a choreographed dance in the sky?

sinfonye

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
I don't think you understand what the issue is. You have 2 drives now per filesystem rather than 1 so have theoretically doubled the failure rate.

That would be true if both drives have the same failure rate. However, SSDs have a much lower mean-time-between-failures than HDDs. The HDD may even have a lower failure rate than usual (e.g. if it is usually powered down because most access is to the SSD).

So the Fusion drive failure rate is likely to be close to the HDD failure rate, or possibly much better. Doesn't sound like something to worry about!

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Yeah, let's wait for the announcement, because we have noooooooo way of predicting that Apple's BTO pricing will follow the usual pattern. Maybe THIS time there will be a sudden shift in strategy? Maybe if you look out the window, THIS time there will be blue fairies performing a choreographed dance in the sky?

What's 4 times the street price ?

I thought the regular MacBook Pro still take aftermarket SSD ?
The thinner MacBooks may be harder to upgrade after the fact. That's probably why Apple keeps the regular MBP around for people who treasure upgradability. I went for MBA because I don't usually upgrade my laptop after I custom build it.

The Fusion Drive should have a premium over SSD + HDD. The question is how much.

Vidivici

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
Europe
How safe is this for the data ?
It sounds like a raid 0 boot disk.

If either SSD or HDD fails , you lose all data.
So you have 2 times the risk of data loss compared to a normal use of a HDD/SSD.

I know this , and most people know here aswell.
But most computer users don't.
And if they dont have a backup , they're crewed.

.Joel

macrumors member
May 10, 2005
This is actually not needed if apple went with 256GB as standard :rolleyes:

Thank you for that completely uneducated comment, i'll remember that when 256GB isn't enough as I fill my 2TB drive with video footage off my GoPro's.

This feature is perfect during this HD to SDD transitional period. It'll keep things affordable while still supplying great performance.

Indeed, the point that interested me was the comment on page 1 that it also uses the SSD for writes and later transfers them to the spindle drives. We use something similar now in servers called Flashcache ( http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=388112370932 ) which was developed by Facebook and then opensourced. In short we may have a 12TB array in our server, and we throw in a 256GB SSD. Initial reads of the data on the array are fed to the application, and also written to the SSD. Anyone that needs that data again it is loaded off the SSD freeing up the array. Data that is written is first written to the SSD, and then casually written back to the array. As an example, it reduces our reads on some arrays by up to 80%, once the drive is full it clears room for new data based on the oldest sitting data on the drive. This setup is however still just a cache and not intelligent like Apple's fusion drive setup, which is similar yet more intelligent.

Data is growing, spindle drives are struggling to keep up, flash drives are struggling even more so to keep up and remain cost effective. This is probably going to be a standard for quite a few years to come until memory for flash storage both grows and shrinks in price significantly.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
How safe is this for the data ?
It sounds like a raid 0 boot disk.

If either SSD or HDD fails , you lose all data.
So you have 2 times the risk of data loss compared to a normal use of a HDD/SSD.

I know this , and most people know here aswell.
But most computer users don't.
And if they dont have a backup , they're crewed.

Read the last 2 pages. It is completely different from RAID.

SSD and HDD can be replaced separately. You don't lose all the data unless the entire disk is toasted.

But you should do backup nonetheless.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
What's 4 times the street price ?
I picked up a Samsung 830 256GB last week for 1500 SEK, which translated to USD minus VAT would be something like 170 bucks. Samsung 830 is the exact same 256GB SSD that Apple will put in the iMac (the current one, not the razor thin one that's out in December) if you ask them to, but they want 6000 SEK for it. Last time I checked, 4x1500 = 6000. Pretty much all their RAM and storage options cost 3x or 4x the aftermarket price. This wasn't a problem before, more like a source for a good laugh or two, but now that they've started using proprietary SSD and RAM in laptops it's only a question of time before they start doing that on iMac (to make it even thinner than the new razor thin one), and then we HAVE to pay for their comically overpriced options if we want to go beyond the baseline config.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
That's not FUD. FUD stands for Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. Why would Apple use FUD on itself ?
Or PR BS, suit yourself.

Of course you won't magically get 250GB out of 128GB of SSD. The gain would be calculated based on all your use cases averaged out. Some of your iPhoto access will be faster, some will remain HDD speed. After you close iPhoto and use other apps, the behavior will change again. Frequently used system files will also likely be on the SSD. So the speedup may be there already.

Then you realise the statement was wrong.

Not really.
You claim consumer grade SSD is more reliable and has more write cycles? Anything to back that up?

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
That's not what 'Fusion drive' is. The new iMacs and Mac Minis have a place for both a 'blade' style SSD (like the Air and RMBP) as well as a standard hard drive. The 'Fusion' is just hardware that manages those two drives to work together seamlessly.

Um, yes. That's why I said if they sold a packaged unit containing the SSD and HDD in one enclosure, I'd happily buy one, or more. That is what Fusion Drive is: SSD + HDD, with the SSD acting like a giant RAM cache for the HDD via underlying low-level drivers. It's brilliant stuff.

----------

But is this really innovation or repackaging, which is what Apple does the best? For example, I have had a "Fusion drive" in my 2012 Mac Mini for months now. I added in a 128gb SSD, which I use as my boot drive plus applications and use the existing drive for media. Is it innovation for Apple to do what customers have already been doing for over a year? The only thing different is that the Fusion drive is seen as 1 solidity drive, rather than 2, making it more user friendly (again, what Apple does the best).

Part of the innovation is in the software/hardware that makes it act as one discrete unit, keeping most-used data on the SSD until space is needed, and moving apps back onto the SSD if you change your usage patterns. Sure, you could do all that by hand with a lot of work, but the point is that you don't have to think about it or manually copy files back and forth. It just works.

Madmats

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2011
I wonder if you somehow can turn it off. And use 128 GB as the system drive with apps and the bigger one for other things.

Should be able to do that with some "hack", no?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011

From the configure your Mac Mini page:

M4Q8m.jpg

Prices right there.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Sounds interesting! But technically, if you know which files you use often, can't you just get an SSD and an HDD, and then do the same thing, with two logical volumes?

Apps and the OS don't take up much space, so you could simply put the entire OS and all your Apps on the SSD, and always store your media (photos, music) on the HDD. That way, you'd always know what is where, and why certain things are fast while others are slow. Would that pretty much be like having a Fusion Drive, but without the automatic file swapping?

(I'm asking as I want to swap my MBP's CD drive to an SSD)

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
I picked up a Samsung 830 256GB last week for 1500 SEK, which translated to USD minus VAT would be something like 170 bucks. Samsung 830 is the exact same 256GB SSD that Apple will put in the iMac (the current one, not the razor thin one that's out in December) if you ask them to, but they want 6000 SEK for it. Last time I checked, 4x1500 = 6000. Pretty much all their RAM and storage options cost 3x or 4x the aftermarket price. This wasn't a problem before, more like a source for a good laugh or two, but now that they've started using proprietary SSD and RAM in laptops it's only a question of time before they start doing that on iMac (to make it even thinner than the new razor thin one), and then we HAVE to pay for their comically overpriced options if we want to go beyond the baseline config.

The thinner Macs are harder and more expensive to upgrade. The regular MacBook Pro should be more serviceable, no ? If you don't like the expensive upgrade, then your options are to get the non-Retina MBP, or don't buy. If fewer people buy the thinner Macs, then Apple will refocus on the more expandable Macs.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.