Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArchieNL

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2012
Can someone help me in my question?

I have bought it on the 26th of september in Pleasanton, CA.
I am now in the Netherlands with my Ipad; Apple Amsterdam doesn't know about the return policy yet. They ask me to wait for monday.

Two options:
1) I return to US on the 12th of November, go to the Apple Store and explain? Would that work?

2) I go to the dutch store with a US device (no box anymore, is that a problem?) and try to return it there?

Thanks for any replies!

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
You got to be a totally isheep if you want to upgrade your ipad 3 because there is a shiny new one coming out with unnecessary connector upgrade. Get over and be pleased with what you got. I got the ipad 2 a week before ipad 3 was announced. I didn't whine and complain.

You people got serious 1st world problems syndrome.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
i wouldn't buy the iPad 3 ON THE FIRST DAY if i woud know there will be another one so early.
i want an upgrade!!!!!:mad::apple:

Wah wah wah. My iPad isn't the latest version and I want it to be, wah wah.... (Throws toys out of pram):rolleyes:

----------

You got to be a totally isheep if you want to upgrade your ipad 3 because there is a shiny new one coming out with unnecessary connector upgrade. Get over and be pleased with what you got. I got the ipad 2 a week before ipad 3 was announced. I didn't whine and complain.

A voice of reason.

hw007

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2011
51.5799259, -0.2282228
Can someone help me in my question?

I have bought it on the 26th of september in Pleasanton, CA.
I am now in the Netherlands with my Ipad; Apple Amsterdam doesn't know about the return policy yet. They ask me to wait for monday.

Two options:
1) I return to US on the 12th of November, go to the Apple Store and explain? Would that work?

2) I go to the dutch store with a US device (no box anymore, is that a problem?) and try to return it there?

Thanks for any replies!

Hiya,

I've PM'd you.

HW

ArchieNL

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2012
Hiya,

I've PM'd you.

HW

Just called Apple Amsterdam in my case; they told me the 30 day period is valid but only counting back from the 4th of november which is the 4th of October. So in our/my case: no way :(

The options were not negotiable. I just 'missed' the deadline by one week (bought the 26th of september)

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011

how can you fault people who fall within the 30 day window for taking full advantage of apple's generosity of upgrading? i am one of those people.

the A6X is worth it alone as the iPad 3 with A5X lost the level of fluidity that made the iPad 2 so great.

ever played Metal Storm on an iPad 2 and an iPad 3? then you would know what i am talking about

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Just called Apple Amsterdam in my case; they told me the 30 day period is valid but only counting back from the 4th of november which is the 4th of October. So in our/my case: no way :(

The options were not negotiable. I just 'missed' the deadline by one week (bought the 26th of september)

are you sure about that? because some stores are counting from the 26th of October which is the pre-order date.
I got mine on the 28th of September through a reseller and returned it and got refunded today.

----------

how can you fault people who fall within the 30 day window for taking full advantage of apple's generosity of upgrading? i am one of those people.

the A6X is worth it alone as the iPad 3 with A5X lost the level of fluidity that made the iPad 2 so great.

ever played Metal Storm on an iPad 2 and an iPad 3? then you would know what i am talking about

Exactly. I wasn't depressed over the fact they released a new one, but since I knew I was included within the people that could upgrade for free, I gave it a shot and it worked.
I have to say that from unboxing moment I wasn't terribly happy with some lack of snappiness on the iPad. Sometimes settings would freeze and apps would crash more than the same app would do on my iPhone. Despite that, I found it an incredibly convenient device... I thought it would be a waste of money, but it isn't. I find it the ultimate device to satisfy my reading appetites. I really like reading more than one book at the same time and having my collection on a single device that gives me crispy clear text is a bliss!!

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Why not, applecare+ entitles you to a replacement for the device you have not an 'upgrade' to the latest version. If there are no 3rd gen left you would get the 4th but otherwise not, and guess what, you would be no worse off.

yeah that's what I was wondering, if they don't make 3rd gens anymore, then they'll hand you a 4th gen.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
are you sure about that? because some stores are counting from the 26th of October which is the pre-order date.
I got mine on the 28th of September through a reseller and returned it and got refunded today.

----------

Exactly. I wasn't depressed over the fact they released a new one, but since I knew I was included within the people that could upgrade for free, I gave it a shot and it worked.
I have to say that from unboxing moment I wasn't terribly happy with some lack of snappiness on the iPad. Sometimes settings would freeze and apps would crash more than the same app would do on my iPhone. Despite that, I found it an incredibly convenient device... I thought it would be a waste of money, but it isn't. I find it the ultimate device to satisfy my reading appetites. I really like reading more than one book at the same time and having my collection on a single device that gives me crispy clear text is a bliss!!

how did it go for you in the store? did you have to fight hard to return it?
i am on my 20th day since the purchase date. yesterday evening i called up the 1-800 apple number and was told no and was told that it would be denied in the store as well.

i am going to try again, but in the actual store tomorrow on my lunch break.

any words of advice on how to convince them to allow the return for a store credit?

the one thing that stinks is that i will have to wait 4-5 weeks to get the LTE version of the iPad 4

smorris

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
Northern Ohio
I just got back from returning my iPad 3 at Best Buy. Since it was 5 days over the 30 day return period, I got a store credit, but that's fine. When the new ones come in, I'll just get it at Best Buy instead of ordering from Apple.

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
how did it go for you in the store? did you have to fight hard to return it?
i am on my 20th day since the purchase date. yesterday evening i called up the 1-800 apple number and was told no and was told that it would be denied in the store as well.

i am going to try again, but in the actual store tomorrow on my lunch break.

any words of advice on how to convince them to allow the return for a store credit?

the one thing that stinks is that i will have to wait 4-5 weeks to get the LTE version of the iPad 4

Very nicely. I got in touch with the manager beforehand who said he'd get in touch with apple (this was through a reseller). Then because I also had dead pixels and severe light leaking on the top of the display, I just went there and showed it to them and they refunded me on the spot. No argue.

ArchieNL

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2012
So update from Appel Amsterdam: they misinformed me yesterday. They have a 14 day return; no extension to 30 days. Very sorry they informed me wrong, bla bla.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I was hoping for an older Apple style upgrade program... bring in your iPad and pay X amount of money to have it upgraded to an iPad 4!

That's what they did back in the Apple II days... :p

That would be awesome...I'd do it in a minute

kaniSS

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney Australia
After emailing my apple store as I purchased a ipad3 just before the release of the current ipad, they have asked me for my mobile number and the best time to call so the store manager can discuss my request.

Maybe some good news hey? I hope they do the swap, I feel duped to be honest. Let's see how it goes.

HadItWithWindow

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
I do not feel I am being unreasonable in objecting to Apple's Exchange Policy

I own an original iPad which I gave to my wife when I purchased my new iPhones5 for us and purchased the new iPad 64gb for Verizon at Best Buy on September 21, 2012.

Had I any idea a new iPad was forthcoming in less than 45 days I would have never purchased my second iPad. I tried returning it to Best Buy but it exceeds their 30 day policy. Same with Apple. Since they sprang the new iPad upon us unannounced I feel they should extend their return policy to at least 45 days.

I called Amex since I put the purchase on my card but I am limited to $300 per return item.

Now I have a third generation iPad that has its own unique connector and an iPhone5 with lightning which is not compatible with any docking device. I soley wanted the new iPad with the lightning connector to make matters more simple.

If only Apple had indicated a forthcoming product I would never have purchased the iPad I did. Everything in their future alerts has been fully disclosed to avoid just this type of inconvenience. Bummed.

I don't want to return an iPad I just want to exchange and am willing to pay whatever fees would be required.

Last edited:

sevesp

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
There is a point to have it exchanged

There is a point to have it exchange in countries were 4G doesn´t work.
When I bought mine, in the UK, Apple had not changed its adverts, nor the name of the model (4G for cellular), so they sold me a device that was supposed to work with 4G networks and so it says in the invoice.
Once the experienced problem in other countries (i.e. Australia) they changed their adverts and also the specifications.
Initially it was 4G ready. I phoned Apple several times asking about the ability of my iPad 3rd generation to connect to 4G networks and they NEVER gave my any assurance in any way. They kept saying that we would have to wait until 4G was implemented in the UK, but they didn´t say that iPad 3 wouldn´t work, so they made me think that there was a possibility for the iPad 3 to work in the UK.
My invoice clearly states iPad ..... Wifi 4G.
I think this is a valid point to ask for an exchange.
I bought my ´New iPad´(3rd generation) in May 2012.
S

Last edited:

kaniSS

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney Australia
After emailing my apple store as I purchased a ipad3 just before the release of the current ipad, they have asked me for my mobile number and the best time to call so the store manager can discuss my request.

Maybe some good news hey? I hope they do the swap, I feel duped to be honest. Let's see how it goes.

Quick update guys. Spoke to the manager at the Sydney store and she is going to swap my recent purchase for the new model free of charge, even though I am way over the 30 day period. Wipeeee.. I am over the moon, great customer service by apple they have me as a customer for life now...:D

appledeeznuts

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Get a life drama queen

----------

dude you were completely spot on about me being a drama queen in this situation... mind you i am pleased that apple has since continued the yearly interval of the iPhones and iPads, even though since what happened with the ipad3 i feel like they can pull a more frequent cycle at any money idk whatever i just wanted to apologize for my exaggerated comment lol I'm sorry i don't know what i was thinking i was obviously upset but it was my first post and idk i probably hadn't smoked for a while to save up for my iPad lol i even made a stupid username that i think I'm stuck with! -_- oh yea talk about resurrecting a thread!

----------

funny how i said money instead of moment! :X

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.