Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Didn't Apple give $200 credit to the original iPhone adopters after announcing the 3G? Anyone remember why?

$100 credit.

Only because Apple reduced the price of the original iPhone by $200 within a few months. (From $599 to $399 - this was before carrier subsidies) The 3G was still more than 9 months away.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
$100 credit.

Only because Apple reduced the price of the original iPhone by $200 within a few months. (From $599 to $399 - this was before carrier subsidies) The 3G was still more than 9 months away.

Thank you!

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I guess Tim Cook was serious about cracking down on security.

No one saw this one coming :eek::D

I have an iPad2 and I'm fine with it but I can see how those who bought an iPad3 would be upset.

Apple has been on pretty much a yearly cycle +/- and you know what's coming.
This was out of left field if I was just out side of the 30days I'd probably upset too if I was one who liked to sell my Apple product to help finance the next.

jrbdmb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
USA
No they are just stupid. Apple has been updating every iOS device ONCE A YEAR. This ipad update came at 7 months, sooner than expected and leaves those who bought it with a bad taste in their mouths. If you can't understand that you need more help than what this online forum can give.
Apple has *never* promised a once-a-year update cycle for their iOS products. They have done nothing wrong by bringing out an iPad update earlier than outsiders expected. It's your problem that you put this expectation on Apple and then are pissed that they didn't live up to it.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
I just find it funny how when a new electronic device comes out the one they had all of a sudden just doesn't work as good anymore.

It's seriously funny. The day before the keynote: "The iPad is simply great. I love my iPad 3 and does everything I need it to do." The next day a new one is announced. "Thanks Apple for screwing me over, this iPad isn't nearly as good and now I'm screwed!"

Exactly!

````````````````

I was going to sell my iPad 3, but im just going to wait until the next ipad comes out.
I love the iPhone 5 & ipad mini casing, so ill wait for THAT model iPad (most likely Oct 2013)

As far as a 30 pin adaptor, I dont use any accessories besides the charger, so I could care less.

And Im all for Apple making Sept/oct the refreshes for ALL iPhones & ipads. It will most likely always be this way from now on.
What about the people who bought an ipad 2 for Xmas 2011, only to see the retina iPad come out 3 months later!!?? (I was one of them as I bought the wife an iPad 2)

It is what it is. Xmas = big money, so upgrade everything then.

BRAVO APPLE!!!
This was a change that was going to happen, it was just a matter of WHEN.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Yes the ipad3 is just as good today as it was yesterday. BUT, it's is worth less.

The key here is depreciation, I assume that an Apple product in this category lasts around a year before it's replaced by a newer product. It's not about having the latest is that while it's the latest it still has a higher resale value.

Releasing something in 7 months rather that 12, has suddenly depreciated the iPad 3 much faster than normal.

So there is a genuine quantifiable reason for iPad 3 owners to be unhappy.

Apple should consider an upgrade program in which you can pay a reasonable amount to upgrade to the new iPad.

Anyone who buys a piece of tech as an investment is an idiot. If you were worried about losing value on that money you should have left it in your pocket. Or better yet, spent it on Apple stock. Maybe after all of the whiners grow up a little and reflect on this, they will begin to realize how silly it really is to sit around waiting breathlessly for the next update to run out and buy it. Nothing wrong with buying the latest and greatest. But do it because it brings something to that you need, not just because it is new.

I bought an iPad 1 because I liked the features. But I wasn't going to have an AT&T anything, so I went with WiFi. When the iPad 2 came out with VZ, but no LTE, I didn't buy it, because the tech wasn't worth the cost to me. So I waited for the LTE VZ iPad 3. I'm happy with it. I'm no less happy with it now that there will be another model.

Same with the 4S and 5. I bought a 4S because I wanted Siri. I bought a 5 because I wanted LTE. If the next version of iPhone doesn't have compelling tech I will stick to my 5, because it serves my needs.

Don't buy tech with the thought of getting rid of it in a year. If you do, you're just chasing your tail. Buy tech because it serves a purpose.

justjohn025

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
There's not that much of a difference. Why do you think Apple isn't selling 3rd gen iPads anymore? Because the only difference is the A6 chip and the lightning connector.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
There's not that much of a difference. Why do you think Apple isn't selling 3rd gen iPads anymore? Because the only difference is the A6 chip and the lightning connector.

And a facetime HD camera;). I have an iPad 3rd gen which I love, but I remember thinking this when I bought it: If only it had a better front camera and a truly new processor... :p

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
If this was called iPad 3S people would totally understand. And be like ah I only have to upgrade every other iPad just like the iPhone and all good. But Apple went and called iPad 4th Gen. And people think it's the new must have thing. And lots of crying.

This 4th Gen is really only a speed bumped 3rd Gen. Go buy a 5th Gen then it comes out and all good.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
I just find this no diffrent than what other companies do already. Release something and then not even 2 months later they release a newer version that just has a HD screen or something. I've seen numerous phones that are released without LTE and see those phones not even 2 months later get updated with LTE. Why don't they have to wait a year? It's technology, it changes VERY fast. You should expect your latest purchase to not be the latest and greatest for very long. If it works for you then that is all that matters.

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
I think most of the changes we're seeing lately with Apple's approach to products have all to do with Cook's approach to the way the company operates. He's not a product guy like Steve was and his approach has all to do with economic efficiency. He wants to make Apple profitable as it never was. Of course this leads to loss of identity and if they start indeed releasing products within shorter periods of time, their product launches will stop being the phenomenon they used to be and will instead just be the release of another upgrade.

I don't feel the release of a new retina ipad today was a scam. I think the scam of this presentation was introducing the ipad mini as a new product, when it is basically a smaller ipad 2. This is clearly Apple wanting to go in direct competition with the Samapsung Note segment of devices.
Wether or not this is a clever strategy, only time will tell, but I do see the company falling into the same sort of product fragmentation it suffered from before Steve's return in the mid 90's. The ipad mini may be light and look pretty, but hardware wise it's rubbish for today's standards and even for Apple's own standards. The bigger sized iPhone, smaller sized ipad are all signs that Apple wants to compete head to head with the same segments of the android phones. Now, we all know how **** Android hardware generally is. Android is the PC of mobile devices, fragmented and without personality.
One of Apple's biggest weapons until now was the emotional connection its customers established with their products. Direct competition with the PC market was never Apple's top priority until now. The company always wanted to offer a solids state if the art alternative to PC. You paid premium and you got premium.

I feel all this going away lately. You pay premium for a product that comes with defects. my *used to be new* ipad is an example of that... I got it less than a month ago and the first one had 2 dead pixels and a stuff under the screen. this one has 1 dead pixel and light leaking in top. I might try to get it exchanged but I'm not going to rush into that because the point of the question isn't that there's a slightly better ipad out today. The point is that Apple is wanting to grow to a point which sacrifices its former premium service.
That may very well mark the beginning of a dark phase for the company. They may be the biggest company in the world, but so was Microsoft in the 90's and that didn't stop them from releasing trash after trash.

Even the release only now of the 13" rMBP is a freaking scam! I mean, when they released the 15" version the retina ipad was already out. So they could make a 15" model, a 10" tablet but couldn't make a 13" laptop? Of course they could! The decision to delay it was deliberate so they could make a couple extra bucks with the early adopters of the 15" model.

My 2 cents.

I agree 100%.

Jayygasm

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Returns go through The seller, not the manufacturer

----------

Try not 'forcefully' requesting it.

Generally rule of retail, if you want an exception don't go it demanding it like an entitled asshat.

General rule of life, sometimes people aren't being literal.

Routerninja

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Alpharetta, GA
I wish Apple wouldn't cave into the cries of the entitled brats. You made your purchase, Deal with it. Apple shouldn't have to placate you at a loss because they released a new shiny trinket so close to when you bought yours. They are a business, their job is to make money for their shareholders.

Your cries of "I got scammed" are just as silly and nauseating as the girl on "My super sweet 16" who got the wrong color Lexus and throws a fit to their parents.

Caveat Emptor.

Apple owes you NOTHING.

Imac&SoShouldU

macrumors member
This is fantastic! While all the iPad 3rd gen. Owners cry a river and/or take their perfectly fine piece of tech to trade it in for the latest and "greatest" I'll be quietly making my way to apple.com to purchase a refurb. iPad 3rd gen for less than the price of the iPad 2! Yaaaaaay for me!!! :D

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
This really chafes me. I don't care so much that the 4th generation is a slight speed bump, but it bothers me that it came so shortly after the third generation. I purchased my new 3rd gen iPad, to compliment my original 3G iPad, not more than 3 months ago.

It's rare I get stuck in a mid cycle refresh, but it sure happened this time. I usually have "the best" for about a year. Annoying!

/ end rant

leo123

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
******* apple

i wouldn't buy the iPad 3 ON THE FIRST DAY if i woud know there will be another one so early.
i want an upgrade!!!!!:mad::apple:

HelveticaRoman

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Whatever it is your iThing does you probably couldn't do at all a few years ago, so don't fret that it gets a shiny new whatever every now and again - there'll be another one along soon enough and you'll be at the cutting edge once more.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
i wouldn't buy the iPad 3 ON THE FIRST DAY if i woud know there will be another one so early.
i want an upgrade!!!!!:mad::apple:

I've still got an iPad 1, which I use every day. I don't see your point.

You bought a product so you could use it. You did not buy a 'guarantee' that you would have the best product in that class for a year.

Maybe Apple should have an 'iPad hardware subscription program' where they sell you an iPad for $350/year and you always get the latest version, after trading in your old version. (minimum 10 year contract). I bet there would be a lot of people, like this guy, to jump on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.