Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I played around with one at the Samsung kiosk in the mall, totally awesome phone, cant wait for mine to get here.

gnr319

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2009
Hey guys, I will be switching to the Note II on ATT come the 9th. Should I pre order or will it be safe to walk in?

I didn't think that Samsung launches would come with the same hysteria as Apple but the Note II is getting a lot of attention.

thenaes

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
The Note 2 is indeed awesome, but I actually wish it was a little smaller. 5.5" is gigantic.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Finally I've had an opportunity to use a Note II for a couple of days. This is one very impressive device. Faster than I anticipated, a bit ungainly when being carried, nonetheless it's an incredibly well thought out device that has carved out a well deserved niche.

There's no question why these sell so well, of all the compromises required of any mobile device, Samsung didn't give up anything important to make the Note II as special as it is.

I have no hesitation in endorsing this model to anyone who desires a roomy comfortable model.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Went to a TMobile store to play around with the Note some more. This store didn't have a display model but the saleperson let me borrow hers to play around with. I was 50/50 with the Note and Nexus but I'm starting to lean towards the Note. I keep hearing cheap ugly plastic but the phone feels solid and I'm loving that titanium grey look. Screen real estate is awesome and love finding and learning new features. Picked up a 64gb microsd card and have excellent LTE coverage. Unless I see some amazing Nexus reviews in the next couple of days, its starting to look like the Note II might be my next phone.

45commando

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
The Note 2 is indeed awesome, but I actually wish it was a little smaller. 5.5" is gigantic.

SIII???:cool:

----------

By the way, I'm new here. Been a guest on here for many months but only just registered!

Anyway, I've just switched from IOS to Android and pick up my Note 2 tomorrow.

Main reason for switching is because I'm bored of the iPhone experience. Can't wait for my new phone.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm really happy the Note II has taken off so well. Samsung's made a quality product with a ton of new and impressive features while maintaining great battery life.

Going to be hard to beat. Sounds like the only things the Nexus 4 will have over it are stock Android and updates.

riverob

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
That's what I think about the 7" tablets like the Galaxy Tab and (presumably) forthcoming iPad Mini, which really are too big to be a phone and too small to be a tablet.

However, unlike these, the Note II is just small enough to live in a shirt or inside jacket pocket - and I think that is what makes the crucial difference. Compared to a phone, the big screen is much nicer for web browsing and maps, when you're using it as a GPS it's big enough to actually see (I currently drive Das Mini and if I mounted an iPad on the windshield I wouldn't be able to see out!) and the on-screen keyboard is good.

I've actually just got a Note II (to replace my ancient HTC Hero... I have a Mac, an iPad and an older iPod Touch, so when it comes to phones I'm looking for something different to scratch the gadget itch - the maps fiasco hasn't helped).

However, one warning for Mac users: syncing with a Mac via USB is a pain - the Android File Transfer program for Mac seems to just plain not work with the current version of Android, and iPhoto doesn't seem to want to play, either. Samsung provide a syncing App called "Kies" (?) which "works for me" (others have reported problems) but is a bit temperamental - and is awfully clunky.

Not quite such a deal-breaker these days - you can use Google to sync your contacts and calendars, and Google Drive or Dropbox let you exchange files, but getting your music collection with playlists intact is going to be a pain.

The default music player on Android sucks, too, but there are plenty of alternatives.

Have you tried Poweramp or Google Play Music? The latter is free. The thing that's great with the music aspect and Android is that I can delete songs at will whereas you have to sync your iPhone music library with iTunes in order to get rid of it.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Have you tried Poweramp or Google Play Music? The latter is free. The thing that's great with the music aspect and Android is that I can delete songs at will whereas you have to sync your iPhone music library with iTunes in order to get rid of it.

Google Play Music isn't available where I live. I agree that this sort of service is the long term solution, but it is not yet there for everybody.

The advantage of the iTunes way of doing things is that you can manage your playlists on the desktop and then sync just the changes to the phone. Given the time it takes to sync a substantial music collection, that's a huge advantage.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I'm really happy the Note II has taken off so well. Samsung's made a quality product with a ton of new and impressive features while maintaining great battery life.

Going to be hard to beat. Sounds like the only things the Nexus 4 will have over it are stock Android and updates.

And price, and unlocked, and contract free. :p

riverob

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
For anyone interested in getting this device, Newegg has a $90 off promo coupon that ends today. It's about $590 shipped.

Last edited:

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007

Don't forget about the screen quality. To me LCD is way better than SAMOLED. And the build quality should be better on the Nexus as well IMO.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Just preordered my Galaxy Note II. :)

I have a 20% off handset discount through my company. I also spoke with AT&T cancellation/resolutions dept and they offered additional credit/discount towards my phone/bill so I ended up getting the Note II for $95 on contract. Free 2 day shipping, no upgrade fee. :D

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005

I have a 20% off handset discount through my company. I also spoke with AT&T cancellation/resolutions dept and they offered additional credit/discount towards my phone/bill so I ended up getting the Note II for $95 on contract. Free 2 day shipping, no upgrade fee. :D

Must be nice to get those discounts.
Some of us are paying full retail to upgrade :(

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006

Oh boy going with the Note II huh....

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Oh boy going with the Note II huh....

One of the main reasons I wanted the Nexus was the price point but its hard to give up excellent LTE coverage where I live and upgradable storage. Once I got the price down on the Note II, it made the decision easier.

If LTE wasnt available where I lived, I probably would've gone with the Nexus.

No matter which you choose, its a win win. :)

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
One of the main reasons I wanted the Nexus was the price point but its hard to give up excellent LTE coverage where I live and upgradable storage. Once I got the price down on the Note II, it made the decision easier.

If LTE wasnt available where I lived, I probably would've gone with the Nexus.

No matter which you choose, its a win win. :)

I agree. I still don't know if I could do the note II due to its physical size. How does HSPA+(spelling?) compared to 3g speeds? If it's faster than 3G anything will be better than what I have now.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I agree. I still don't know if I could do the note II due to its physical size. How does HSPA+(spelling?) compared to 3g speeds? If it's faster than 3G anything will be better than what I have now.

Have you played around with the phone? I spent a bit of time with it at T-Mobile and Sprint stores and it felt fine, did the pocket test, sat up and down, etc, and didn't have any issues.

I've been looking at AT&T hspa+ speeds since that's the network I'm on and the average I saw was around 3 - 7Mbps. T-Mobile has a faster 4G network, I saw anywhere from 8 - 13 average. Of course results could be even higher or lower depending where you are.

Compare that to AT&T LTE in my area which I got 25 - 35 down, up to 50 and so it was hard not to choose LTE.

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
I've been looking at AT&T hspa+ speeds since that's the network I'm on and the average I saw was around 3 - 7Mbps. T-Mobile has a faster 4G network, I saw anywhere from 8 - 13 average. Of course results could be even higher or lower depending where you are.

Compare that to AT&T LTE in my area which I got 25 - 35 down, up to 50 and so it was hard not to choose LTE.

Can't argue with that. I don't use the internet on my phone too much so i may have to give the ol' Nexus a shot.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Yeah, another reason is if you have "unlimited" data, AT&T throttles your LTE usage after 5gb but throttles your 3G/4G after 3gb. If you don't use a lot of internet and feel the Note might be to big, the Nexus would be a great choice.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
I wonder why Samsung didn't bring out a 7" pad with S-Pen function?

S-Pen for me is a game changer.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Have you played around with the phone? I spent a bit of time with it at T-Mobile and Sprint stores and it felt fine, did the pocket test, sat up and down, etc, and didn't have any issues.

Awesome discounts! I am glad you were able to make a decision. I am still having trouble.

I used to think I couldn't deal with touchwiz but its really not that bad. Also the development community I believe will be strong for this device just like it is for the S3. So I could be CM10 on if I start to hate touchwiz. I also believed that the size was outrageous. After trying it in the store it is not that bad either. Holding it up to my ear does seem a bit rediculous though. Did you do that test?

Also, I went and played with an LG Optimus G today. Surprisingly, its width made the phone very awkward and uncomfortable. I am pretty sure the Nexus has that same width. It makes no sense but the Note actually felt better in hand. I am going to try them both at t mobile next week.

On top of that I still have an interest in the HTC One X plus and HTC DNA because of the design and amazing screens that they have. What is a guy to do with all of these first world problems?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.