Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
I had the Nexus 7 for a while, and I got rid of it. I love the mini though, probably because iOS is so polished.

All the problems with the Nexus 7 was the OPs fault.
iOS is not more polished its extremly basic that to me is not polished.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Wait, answer this. Apple said that retina was better because the distance from which you would hold the iPad, ie about reading distance was close enough to see pixles and not a sharp image. And a smaller screen would be, be default, that you would hold it even closer due to the smaller text, all things being equal. Therefore, if Apples marketing spin on the need for retina was correct and not just a can of crap, then a smaller screen, held closer to the user would require a much higher resolution screen than even the normal iPad....

And yet, somehow, NOW its perfectly fine? So which is right, you need retina in a larger screen held further way, or you do not need it in a smaller screen held closer?

Oh and next year when the retina mini is released, and everyone trades up and buys that, and Apple raves about how the text is sharper and clearer and how much better it is...and all the threads about how its "retina or nothing" as they did about the iPad 3 and MBP retina, then what of the statements that retina is not needed in a small tablet like the mini? Because you know, a brighter screen, with nice colors and tons of reflection just highlights in a brighter way how bad it is...the reflection is a bonus for all the MBP and previous gen iMac owners out there; because you know the reflection out in the sunlight might actually make your mini screen look better since you can't see it.

Really, why can't owners of the mini and defenders of the Apple crown just admit, that a better display would be great, that the current display is okay, but no where near as good as the Nexus nor the Kindle Fire HD and Apple pulled a fast one by rushing this device to market with the full plan to release a retina one next spring (just my guess) to double their mini sales to all the lemingings who ran out to buy the current one?

Really, why can't the blind Apple fans see what Apple has started doing with these device releases and upgrades over the past 2 to 3 years, it is so obvious.

You know how many people are perfectly happy with their ipad and iPad 2 with no intent of buying one with a retina display? Quite a few. You know how many people have been just fine with those terrible, non retina macbooks and macbook airs for years? a ton. Sure, a higher res display would be nice but there is MUCH more to a device than its resolution and ppi. I could sell this Mini and get a Nexus 7 tomorrow if I wanted, but I already had a Nexus 7 and this Mini is better IMO but thanks

Pjstock42

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
You know how many people are perfectly happy with their ipad and iPad 2 with no intent of buying one with a retina display? Quite a few. You know how many people have been just fine with those terrible, non retina macbooks and macbook airs for years? a ton. Sure, a higher res display would be nice but there is MUCH more to a device than its resolution and ppi. I could sell this Mini and get a Nexus 7 tomorrow if I wanted, but I already had a Nexus 7 and this Mini is better IMO but thanks

Your point still doesn't make any sense.

Apple made the conscious decision to omit a retina display from the mini and quip it with a screen worse than every competing product, and then proceeded to price it at over $100 more....

Apple themselves have conditioned me to always want the best screen resolution, I've bought in 100% to their "retina" marketing campaign, so why go back on it now? AT LEAST release it with a screen that's comparable to other 7" tablets, not far worse.

The first gen iPad mini is essentially a beta test for this market so Apple wanted to spend as little money as possible. If it turns out to be a success, we'll see the retina mini released somewhere between march - June.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple made the conscious decision to omit a retina display from the mini and quip it with a screen worse than every competing product, and then proceeded to price it at over $100 more....
Based on what I've read, it seems apple's hands were tied with the iPad mini's screen. First the cost of producing a retina display, that is have 4x the pixels in the 7.9" display was cost prohibitive and the yields may not be there and wanting to avoid fragmenting the iOS platform further with a tablet that had a different resolution basically meant that the PPI for the mini was going to be lower.

From the rumors it appears that a retina based mini may be in the works for next year but who knows at this point

Diiiiips

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
Based on what I've read, it seems apple's hands were tied with the iPad mini's screen. First the cost of producing a retina display, that is have 4x the pixels in the 7.9" display was cost prohibitive and the yields may not be there and wanting to avoid fragmenting the iOS platform further with a tablet that had a different resolution basically meant that the PPI for the mini was going to be lower.

From the rumors it appears that a retina based mini may be in the works for next year but who knows at this point

I don't think there is any doubt at all that next years version will have retina.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
I find it weird that so many Nexus owners feel the need to post on an Apple forum, but does it bother me? No, not really, I am more amused by it than bothered.

I'm on the Apple forum because I purchased a 2012 cMBP and iPad 3. I also purchased a Nexus 7 and experienced first hand what people have been posting about the N7. I now rarely power on my iPad 3; preferring to use the N7.

I now also realize that the Apple experience is not all that special; especially given the premium price you have to pay to join (BTW - I am financially able to buy any (and all) Apple products). I am planning to buy a Win 8 Pro hybrid this holiday season (probably the Lenovo Yoga) and ditch my Apple products.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Why? Someone that does owns Apple hardware can't own a Nexus tablet?

Not only that, but we are all tech enthusiasts at heart. At the moment, Android and iOS are the most interesting players. Why would we not pay attention to both?

I've said myself I'm eager to see what iOS 7 brings with Ive at the helm. My fear, though, is that it'll primarily be aesthetics. But, if there are major improvements, I could enjoy them on my iPad.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
MAybe someone can correct me if i am wrong but i am not understanding the point of this thread.

As far as i know the mini cannot do what your asking to be done, and neither can the nexus (by default) but with 3rd party software it is possible.

How would suggesting someone spend an extra $100 on a mini be advised based on the user experience of the OP?

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Your point still doesn't make any sense.

Apple themselves have conditioned me to always want the best screen resolution, I've bought in 100% to their "retina" marketing campaign, so why go back on it now? AT LEAST release it with a screen that's comparable to other 7" tablets, not far worse.

The first gen iPad mini is essentially a beta test for this market so Apple wanted to spend as little money as possible. If it turns out to be a success, we'll see the retina mini released somewhere between march - June.

Given Apple's success, I think they know what they are doing. The Nexus 7 has been selling 500-800k units a month since its release. The Mini just sold over 2 million in ONE WEEKEND So its obvious the average consumer doesnt have an issue with the Mini's display. Sorry you do. Go buy a Kindle or a Nexus 7.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Given Apple's success, I think they know what they are doing. The Nexus 7 has been selling 500-800k units a month since its release. The Mini just sold over 2 million in ONE WEEKEND So its obvious the average consumer doesnt have an issue with the Mini's display. Sorry you do. Go buy a Kindle or a Nexus 7.

It's already noted that the N7 is selling 1 million a month. Apple is the market leader so you would expect them to sell more than the competition especially for a new product. ;)

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
It's already noted that the N7 is selling 1 million a month. Apple is the market leader so you would expect them to sell more than the competition especially for a new product. ;)

My point is that the general public does not care about ppi and let that base their decision on what tablet to buy. Only tech nerds do that. The display of the Mini is perfectly acceptable for most people's uses.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
My point is that the general public does not care about ppi and let that base their decision on what tablet to buy. Only tech nerds do that. The display of the Mini is perfectly acceptable for most people's uses.
Agreed which is why I have said in the Mini threads that the resolution can't be as bad as some make it out to be especially from someone like me who still owns an iPad 2.

I would be all over the Mini if it weren't for the fact that I think we'll see a new Mini around Apr or May.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Agreed which is why I have said in the Mini threads that the resolution can't be as bad as some make it out to be especially from someone like me who still owns an iPad 2.

I would be all over the Mini if it weren't for the fact that I think we'll see a new Mini around Apr or May.

So buy it and then sell it when the new one comes out. I did that with all 3 iPads, never had an issue.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I'm pretty cynical but I think even you'd agree the general public is dumb. They don't even know the mini doesn't have a "retina" screen.

I don't buy products that are "acceptable" unless they are a good deal. However I don't have either, but I have my eye on the N10.

nigameash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Space: The Final Frontier
I own an iPad 2 and a Nexus 7. I hate the fact that android has a lack of quality apps. I absolutely love the Nexus 7 as a device. I would never buy an android device if it wasn't a Nexus coz I dont like to wait 12-18 months for software updates (screw you samsung.)

There can be no comparison between the quality of apps that are available for the iPad vs android tablets. Android is clearly behind far behind iOS in terms of quality apps. My gf has a Galaxy Nexus and I find that as an android phone, there are still some decent apps but in terms of tablets, the iPad wins hands down.

I can't wait to buy the iPad mini when it launches with a retina display. I don't think I can settle for a non-retina display on an apple product after my iPhone.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I own an iPad 2 and a Nexus 7. I hate the fact that android has a lack of quality apps. I absolutely love the Nexus 7 as a device. I would never buy an android device if it wasn't a Nexus coz I dont like to wait 12-18 months for software updates (screw you samsung.)

There can be no comparison between the quality of apps that are available for the iPad vs android tablets. Android is clearly behind far behind iOS in terms of quality apps. My gf has a Galaxy Nexus and I find that as an android phone, there are still some decent apps but in terms of tablets, the iPad wins hands down.

I can't wait to buy the iPad mini when it launches with a retina display. I don't think I can settle for a non-retina display on an apple product after my iPhone.

Any apps in particular?

I don't have an issue unless you mean web apps. In that case I agree but I use the actual web browser for the real deal, not some watered down mobile app made to condense a web page onto a phone screen (Facebook, tapatalk, etc etc).

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Any apps in particular?

Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to name 3. I used to think there was no difference between apps for iOS and Android as well, but there is. Not only is the iOS Facebook app much faster, it has swipe gestures the Android version doesnt. Even the way it brings up a photo when you want to comment on it is different. You really need them side by side to compare.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I really like the Dolphin browser. I like it's voice search, it's pretty accurate for me.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I bought a Nexus 7 just to see if I could save some cash, but here is my experience:

I pulled up "The Verge" on both the 7 and the Mini. First, the Mini loaded it faster. Then, once it was up, I tried zooming and moving around. The Nexus had so many glitches while doing this, and was most of the time ignoring my gestures. The Mini was fluid, responsive, and predictable. Scrolling on the Nexus in general is very horrible compared to the Mini. This, alone, was enough to convince me that the Mini was superior. App selection on the Nexus is horrible in my opinion, considering you can't even get the new "SmartGlass" app from MS.

Even though the Mini has inferior internals, it is a VERY polished experience and doesn't leave anything left to be desired as far as performance goes. Everything works, and works well.

The Nexus 7 is excellent for a $200 tablet. I was REALLY impressed by their response to Siri, with their own voice search feature. It is arguably better than Siri in some regards. For $129 more, however, there is a world of difference. I wasn't a believer at first, but I am now. There is a justification for the extra $129. Also, I believe the form factor is far superior on the Mini, as well as the almost inch bigger screen. It is so much more useful than the skinny 7" screen on the Nexus.

Needless to say, Nexus is going back.

(By the way, I bought it instead of demoed because the store didn't have a demo and I don't know anyone that owns it)

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

How are you coming to that conclusion? How do you know they aren't buying it simply because its the cheapest way to buy into the iPad?

Why did all the iOS users care so much about the high PPI on iPhone 4 and iPad 3?

Now, when Apple releases the iPad mini with a relatively low PPI, it's no big deal and only geeks care about beautiful clear screens?

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
How are you coming to that conclusion? How do you know they aren't buying it simply because its the cheapest way to buy into the iPad?

Why did all the iOS users care so much about the high PPI on iPhone 4 and iPad 3?

Now, when Apple releases the iPad mini with a relatively low PPI, it's no big deal and only geeks care about beautiful clear screens?

Good questions! I'm guessing because it's an Apple product which means it's perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.