Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
It's amazing. When apple led everyone in screen PPI that was the golden nugget to hang over everyone's head why the iPhone was superior. Now they don't, so anything better than apple is the point of lost returns. Apple ups the screen a whopping .5 inches in size but makes the phone extremely thin and light (something people weren't complaining about with the 4/4S. ie...that it was too heavy and clunky) now everything thicker then 7.6mm is chunky. The lumia 920 is too heavy at 180grams, OMG then put it in your purse Roger. It's amazing how everyone's priorities change once Apple tells them what they should be.

Xtal

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
It's clear that most high end phones will be 1080p by this time next year.

Xtal

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
I wonder if Apple will do another 2x bump in resolution for the iPhone 6? They could go with either:

2272x1280 (2x iP5, 16:9 aspect) or
1920x1280 (2x iP4, 3:2)

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
This phone looks sweet. To bad its a Verizon exclusive. Also, whats with these super smartphones and only 16GB?

Xtal

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
This phone looks sweet. To bad its a Verizon exclusive. Also, whats with these super smartphones and only 16GB?

Onboard storage is obsolete. Phones are becoming an extension of the cloud (and will become far more useful for that reason).

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Onboard storage is obsolete. Phones are becoming an extension of the cloud (and will become far more useful for that reason).

Many people with large amounts of music don't want to consume their data plans streaming it, they also don't want 6gb of music consuming half the available storage space. They also don't want to have to walk around with another device. Shove your music on a microSD and it's off the device, no worries.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

Great if you have truly unlimited data. If you have a capped or throttled plan, not as useful.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I wonder if Apple will do another 2x bump in resolution for the iPhone 6? They could go with either:

No. Not in a million years for the iPhone 6. Maybe the 10.

Stropaganda

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
If this phone has respectable battery life, I will probably upgrade my Galaxy Nexus to this. I am sick and tired of my old, tired battery giving out on me and this is a pretty sweet phone from first impressions. I will have to wait and see for the reviews to come pouring in.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Gizmodo found it has lower brightness, worse colors, and the crazy PPI is hardly noticeable. In fact, they said the One X and iPhone 5 have better-looking displays. Sigh.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
3 hours of screen on time? That's awful. My iPhone 5 gets around 7 on Wi-Fi and LTE.

What magical iPhone 5 do you have? I am lucky to get 5 hours screen time on mine before I hit 20%. Its usually closer to 4 hours.

----------

Gizmodo found it has lower brightness, worse colors, and the crazy PPI is hardly noticeable. In fact, they said the One X and iPhone 5 have better-looking displays. Sigh.

...and you trust Gizmodo? Everyone else is about ready to mess their pants over the screen and the shot of the DNA next to the iPhone 5 was nice. Anyone with eyes can clearly see the text is cleaner and sharper on the DNA.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Most people stream movies these days and most people arent walking around with 15 HD movies on their cell phones. I am sure HTC's R&D team have done their work. The new Nexus 4 doesnt have an SD card slot either and only offers 8 and 16GB of storage. Everything is moving cloud based.

More about music for me. Just under 50GB music I want on my phone, so it's SD slot or no go for me.

----------

So? People want good battery life, period.

True that. Good phones in this category won't be available for a little longer.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Sure is got a nice screen, doesn't compete with the note in anything else.

----------

No it's not. And that's why this will fail.

Xtal

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
More about music for me. Just under 50GB music I want on my phone, so it's SD slot or no go for me.

It would be cool if we could put music on a small device like a marble or ring that would stream it wirelessly from your pocket to the phone (or directly to headphones) via NFC or bluetooth. When you get home you put the marble in a dimple on your home stereo.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011

You can throw the 3:2 away. It's dead. Not gonna go back.

----------

It would be cool if we could put music on a small device like a marble or ring that would stream it wirelessly from your pocket to the phone (or directly to headphones) via NFC or bluetooth. When you get home you put the marble in a dimple on your home stereo.

Or you could just leave it on your androids sd card and use Bluetooth. Why do I want to carry around a marble or a ring when I'm already carrying my phone? ???

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
What magical iPhone 5 do you have? I am lucky to get 5 hours screen time on mine before I hit 20%. Its usually closer to 4 hours.

----------

...and you trust Gizmodo? Everyone else is about ready to mess their pants over the screen and the shot of the DNA next to the iPhone 5 was nice. Anyone with eyes can clearly see the text is cleaner and sharper on the DNA.

Just an iPhone 5...go look at the battery life thread, this is normal.

And yeah I trust Gizmodo. The macro shots obviously looked better but that doesn't matter, all that matters is how it looks to the naked eye.

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Do you think carriers are the ones that limit the storage, and not HTC? It would make sense since they want you to use streaming

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I am just amazed that some people carry around their entire music and movie catalog on their phones, or so it seems. Someone mentioned earlier 6GB of music, that's insane. I have around 30 artists and at least a few hundred songs on my iPhone and its 2GB. 16GB is more than enough for most peoples needs. What do these people who feel the need to put all their multimedia on their cell phone do? Crazy

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006

Meh why not just use the cloud then. I still prefer internal or SD storage.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
You can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 32in HDTV what the hell makes you think you'll see the difference on a 5in screen? Come on ppl. People in their backwards ass thinking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.