Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
No.

Why? Because it's a text message, not Microsoft Word.

Haha I understand but it's also a hand held computer, not a StarTAC. I have had numerous cases where I wanted to use italics or bold text

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
You can't. It's a text message. In other words it's plain text, no formatting. Can you italicize text in a plain text email? No you cannot.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
You can't. It's a text message. In other words it's plain text, no formatting. Can you italicize text in a plain text email? No you cannot.

Actually in the iOS default mail application, you do have the option to italicize/bold your words. Highlight the word with your finger and you will get the option to do so.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Haha I understand but it's also a hand held computer, not a StarTAC.

Doesn't matter if it's a DynaTAC or a cluster of 1,024 mac minis in a grid. SMS doesn't have a facility for rich text. It's a plaintext-only medium... which means, NO formatting.

I have had numerous cases where I wanted to use italics or bold text

Use e-mail then.

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Actually in the iOS default mail application, you do have the option to italicize/bold your words. Highlight the word with your finger and you will get the option to do so.

That's not plain text though...that'd be html formatted (you may not see the formatting codes but they'd be there if you looked at the source code of the email).

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I don't think that I have ever wanted to use bold type or italics when sending a text. For me, it is just a way to to quickly communicate, not write an essay.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Text messages pre-date all these fancy 'data networks.' They work by hiding the text data within the voice transmission signal.

Basically, the phone companies discovered they had a little bit of spare space in the signal and invented a way to use it. As such, they put in what they could fit. It's why texts are limited to 160 characters.

So the idea of tripling the amount of possible characters (regular, bold, and italic) was probably not high on their list of priorities.

Now, Apple could currently add such things to iMessage, but I'm sure they don't want to make it confusing. It would be kind of annoying to format texts and have your iPhone friends see it all but your Android friends not. So I guess iMessage is inheriting the limitations of SMS just so they can live together happily.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
"italicize text in a text message?" in the title, being text precludes the ability to add formatting as mentioned.

indeed not via SMS. but one could (in theory) be able to via iMessage.
Way back in the day my friend and i had a specific verizon flip phone.. and as long as we sent SMS to other verizon users it would allow us to change font colors...italicize etc.. I was 14 then so i dont really remember how it did that.. not sure if it actually sent as a mms.. or if verizon had specific codes built into the phone it self to recognize those things.. or if it really just used a different way to send the text.. via a messenger. I do know for a fact it counted against my monthly SMS and didnt charge me data (that was back in the day when i had to watch my texts lol)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Nope. Just use asterisks if you need to emphasize something.

ex:
I really need the documents, *please* send them to me ASAP.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada

because if you want to get all fancy why don't you just send an email instead.

who the hell would want to italicize in an SMS? ..oh yeah..you would. (i forgot):p

if you need to be "emotive" & get your point across why not just use a cute little emojii in your text?

:eek:;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.