Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AtmChm

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
WI
Here is the setup I use regularly in my hobby room:

Cube train room 2.JPG

The Cube has had a processor upgrade to a PowerLogix 1.7 GHz 7448 processor, 1.5 GB RAM, 120 GB OWC SSD, external Lacie LightScribe FW DVD.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
My setup I picked up last night. Dual 2GHz G5 tower and 22" Cinema display I nabbed off Craigslist. Pretty excited about it!

Attachments

• IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 6,334

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
I just found the picture of my Christmas setup a few years back. Really want to do this to my G5 again.
That is completely awesome! I love christmas decorations and computers. I had a similar setup the last few holidays, but I put the lights around the screen instead. And of course made all icons on the desktops to big high resolution christmas presents. Soon it's time again, I can't wait. If anyone else than us likes this we should start a "Christmas decorated PowerPC Macs"-thread just for the heck of it. :)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
That is completely awesome! I love christmas decorations and computers. I had a similar setup the last few holidays, but I put the lights around the screen instead. And of course made all icons on the desktops to big high resolution christmas presents. Soon it's time again, I can't wait. If anyone else than us likes this we should start a "Christmas decorated PowerPC Macs"-thread just for the heck of it. :)

That'd be awesome. I'm just thinking about how awesome it would be to wrap the iMac G4 in lights now. :p

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Yeah, in that above picture I have a MBP right in the middle actually. :D
Nice. :p Pretty awesome how someone can have the same Apple products, yet the set-up looks totally different. :p

I'd love my G5 on the desk but it'll break the desk as it's so damn heavy as the desk won't support it. :p

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Nice setup! You know with the right adapter you can hook up the 24 inch or 27 inch LED Cinema Display for a rocking great system! I too have a G5 Quad, built in 2006 with the single pump. Its a beast of a machine and a nice one at that.

The only issue I have with it is that the LAST CPU B core 2 diode is reporting a temperature reading of 10-15 degrees higher than the rest of my CPUS. I checked my Quad for any leaks - NO leaks thank gawd!(Quad G5 had the more reliable LCS), but what could be causing the temperature to stay at 10-15 degrees higher?

I know that this machine is 6 years old.. I forget what the longevity of the thermal paste is on the G5 processors, do you know?

Also, where can I get 64-bit software optimized to run on the G5 using 64-bit?

I will post my machines shortly, for now I have the following:

G5 Quad 4 x 2.5 PowerPC G5 :), G4 Pismo 550(was G3 500), PowerBook G4 1.67 which I use for my main computer when not at home. My server machine for all my computers is a 6-core Mac Pro running at 3.33 ghz.

I might pick up another G4 PowerMac to complete my collection, I was looking at the MDD G4 1.25 Dual.

Here is a picture of my G5 quad, sorry about the flash bounce off the monitor.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Nice setup! You know with the right adapter you can hook up the 24 inch or 27 inch LED Cinema Display for a rocking great system! I too have a G5 Quad, built in 2006 with the single pump. Its a beast of a machine and a nice one at that.
You can connect a 27" LED Display to a G5 with an adapter? :eek:

Link to said adapter please?

Muchas gracias, Saludos.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
The one I have is by Kanex.. I got it from Other World Computing. Mine is the older model which supports 24 inch LED Cinema Display, but yes.. you can get the model supporting the 27 inch LED display.

It looks great! My G5 loves it!

You need something like this . It will set you back a bit though.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
The one I have is by Kanex.. I got it from Other World Computing. Mine is the older model which supports 24 inch LED Cinema Display, but yes.. you can get the model supporting the 27 inch LED display.

It looks great! My G5 loves it!
That product's discontinued?

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
I like this setup, its nice, sleek and simple.

Thanks! I got the 22" ACD + G5 Tower (specs in sig) for $200 off Craigslist. Thing still flies!

I was lucky enough to have an iMovie HD project pending, and with it being a PowerPC application, the G5 ate the HD video up! So satisfied with my purchase

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
I just took these. Setup the iMac yesterday, dug through my massive computer storage/graveyard and pulled the PM G4 QS out. My first Mac ever is sitting under the desk. Just need a screen now and the PM will be taking the place of the iMac.

Attachments

• CIMG0940.JPG
    CIMG0940.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 171

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
I had three computers as my daily machines which made it really messy. Some bookmarks on one of the computers, a few files on the other (I use dropbox for most files but I have movie projects and what not that just isn't a good idea to sync through dropbox) and other bookmarks on the third. I decided to put away yet another one (my walk-in closet is filled with PowerMacs, iMacs and random laptops by now) in favor of this setup. It's a PC as my main, yes, but I kind of have to do it this way for a while. I need to do heavy movie editing for school and my PC is the only machine capable. :) And my PowerBook G4. I just can't put it away. So it serves as my only PPC for the time being.
IMG_1480.jpg

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
I had three computers as my daily machines which made it really messy. Some bookmarks on one of the computers, a few files on the other (I use dropbox for most files but I have movie projects and what not that just isn't a good idea to sync through dropbox) and other bookmarks on the third. I decided to put away yet another one (my walk-in closet is filled with PowerMacs, iMacs and random laptops by now) in favor of this setup. It's a PC as my main, yes, but I kind of have to do it this way for a while. I need to do heavy movie editing for school and my PC is the only machine capable. :) And my PowerBook G4. I just can't put it away. So it serves as my only PPC for the time being.
IMG_1480.jpg

What pc case it that? Looks good.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
What pc case it that? Looks good.

It's Fractal Design's Define R4. They come in black as well, but I chose Arctic White.

21319_44238.jpg

Pros: Lots of storage possibility, many places to put fans, it's quiet as a mouse, it's cheap and the overall space in it is very nice.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
Some pics from my old PPC days. Man I wish I had back 95% of those systems.
I had everthing from PM G5's to iBook Clamshells and PB G4's. I've had 4 1Ghz Titanium's, one was so nice I think I was the the first person to use it, not turn it on and put it away. :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_2109.JPG
    IMG_2109.JPG
    424.5 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_2108.JPG
    IMG_2108.JPG
    596.3 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_2011.JPG
    IMG_2011.JPG
    593.8 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1730.JPG
    IMG_1730.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 252
  • IMG_1741.JPG
    IMG_1741.JPG
    665.2 KB · Views: 237

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
your screen name

(macgeek18) is very appropriate. You have owned quite the collection.

Macs I regret getting rid of: Powerbook 520c, Blue and White G3, Titanium G4.

Macs I do not regret getting rid of: Mac Classic, Graphite ibook, Mac IIci, Mac Mini (Intel).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.