Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PerformaGuy

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
PowerBook 1400cs.
Top screen - Games and Word processing
"Middle screen" - Safari, YouTube, Netflix, everything else modern :D

Palm Vx - Reminders !

cBF5b.jpg

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
My temporary setup for the living room. I wanted to see if I could manage with just my G3 but I don't think I can since it has trouble even playing short low res video clips. But for browsing it's sweet.

I know what you mean about browsing still being fine. I have a 400 Mhz Gigabit Ethernet G4 Powermac that is still amazingly fantastic at browsing the web and just about everything else, even playing Youtube through Mactubes. Sometimes I think that I could use it everyday if my other Macs all croaked at the same time, but then the iPhone/iPad/iOS syncing, etc. make that not such a great idea, but the old Macs are still good looking and surprisingly fast in many ways.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
PowerBook 1400cs.
Top screen - Games and Word processing
"Middle screen" - Safari, YouTube, Netflix, everything else modern :D

Palm Vx - Reminders !

Dino Park Tycoon is one of the best edutainment games out there. I've recorded the music and play it whenever I need to do paperwork or other related stuff.

How come your intro screen has the T.Rex in the marsh and theres different trees, mine has them all in plains with generic shrubs.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
My 1.5 GHz PowerBook :) shame for the dent at the front though. :(
My PowerBook also has a dent in the front, from when my girlfriend knocked it over. I was able to almost completely reshape it with force though.

I love the green ruler... mat... thingy!

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
My PowerBook also has a dent in the front, from when my girlfriend knocked it over. I was able to almost completely reshape it with force though.

I love the green ruler... mat... thingy!

The dent was much worse to the point were you could see the harddrive :eek:, it fell from my kitchen counter to a tile floor. At first didn't think much of it because it was in one of those protective sleeve thingys but when i took it out boy was i surprised. I made it better my hitting it back into shape with a piece of wood lol.
The only reason I have the mat is because the smudges you get on glass annoys me but yes it's quite nice.

gaboshenia

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2007
Bucharest, Romania
so, i thought about posting in this forum for a while now, so here it goes.
the first picture is with my first mac, a 14" ibook g4 running at 1.33ghz, had 512mb ram and 60gb storage...sold early in 2006 to buy the one in the second picture, a 15" powerbook g4 running at 1ghz, with 60gb storage...was a lot faster than the ibook, but it "slipped", display broke and i keep it for spare parts for... i don't know. the third pic is with it after it broke. the last picture is with my current setup, my primary machine is a 17" powerbook g4 running at 1.5ghz, the bto version with ati radeon 9700 with 128mb, it has 2gb of ram, 160gb wd caviar at 5400rpm which i hope i wont drop/it wont slip. Next to my brothers 2008 alu imac it does a decent job, apart from being 10 times more stable (not faster), so i'm not planning on switching to intel just yet.
my 1st ever mac:
1.jpg

2nd working:
HPIM3263.JPG

...after it slipped:
IMG_20111126_215923.jpg

current workhorse:
2012-10-10%2010.36.33.jpg

Last edited:

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
The dent was much worse to the point were you could see the harddrive :eek:

Also like mine then! It gaped open almost from corner to corner on the bottom part of it, and internal stuff was completely exposed. I had to force it back together and then I used one of those rubber hammers (and a towel to protect the surface) to straighten the shell back in place. It still works like a charm though, I guess yours does too? :)

----------

so, i thought about posting in this forum for a while now, so here it goes.

Nice man! Those iBooks look fantastic when they're in good condition. Most of the ones I've seen irl have been very yellow, dirty, scratched and cracked.

gaboshenia

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2007
Bucharest, Romania
Nice man! Those iBooks look fantastic when they're in good condition. Most of the ones I've seen irl have been very yellow, dirty, scratched and cracked.

Well, it does look good in that picture... i took it just before selling it in summer 2006, it had 1 year and a half since it came out of the box. I was initially a little bit disappointed because less than a year after buying that one apple released the new intel macs... but i eventually got over it :)
An ex girlfriend of mine had a 12" mid 2005 ibook that looked fantastic, just like out of the box, but she was...a girl...and girls don't throw laptops around, or use them while eating hamburgers with mayonnaise...
My 17 incher looks way better as far as aesthetics go, compared to some alu macbooks i've seen around. But then again, i don't keep it as a key-holder...

MacuserinMSland

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
Pac NW
My current PPC hobby setup, a dual 800 MHz Quicksilver G4 the 17" Studio Display was today's addition. It's the setup I wanted 12 years ago, I'm piecing the rest together, pro speakers and a 23" Cinema HD Display are on my list too.

It is fairly maxed out 3 HDs, 1.5GB RAM, SuperDrive, and cosmetically in great shape. So far, $140.00 USD invested, and its usable!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 271
Reactions: djmckillertom

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
My current PPC hobby setup, a dual 800 MHz Quicksilver G4 the 17" Studio Display was today's addition. It's the setup I wanted 12 years ago, I'm piecing the rest together, pro speakers and a 23" Cinema HD Display are on my list too.

It is fairly maxed out 3 HDs, 1.5GB RAM, SuperDrive, and cosmetically in great shape. So far, $140.00 USD invested, and its usable!

The QS is still a gorgeous machine.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
My PC is down at the bottom so you can't see it. Well, that iMac is my latest find. I got it for half of the price I got that PowerMac G4 MDD there.

PowerMac G4 MDD:
Dual 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
2GB RAM
120GB HDD
Mac OS X 10.4.11

iMac G3:
PowerPC G3 350MHz
192MB RAM
40GB HDD
Mac OSX 10.2.something

Attachments

• IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 304
Reactions: djmckillertom

PowerMacFan

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
And here is the Apple History Museum... i.e. the storage room....

iMac G4
PowerBook Titanium
iBook G4
iMac G3 snow
PowerBook 170 (Lolololol)
An amalgamation of keyboards

i could use a apple keyboard and mouse (if you have the mouse) as i didnt get a Apple keyboard/mouse with my MDD just a Microsoft keyboard and mouse

AmtrakRider

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2011
I occasionally fire up this Powermac G3 to use OS9

Attachments

• 2012-10-15_21-17-28_928.jpg
    2012-10-15_21-17-28_928.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 233

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
Hope no one minds but here is my iMac G4 1.25 (the one in sig) driving a 17inch in a extended desktop config, not quite complete yet still needs some pro speakers and a iSight camera. (oh and then some ram and HDD lol)

Attachments

• DSCF1056.JPG
    DSCF1056.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 271

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Here's a picture of my desk at the moment. My main PowerPC Mac these days is an original 800MHz 15" iMac G4, maxed out at 1GB of RAM and happily chugging away with Leopard. It lives alongside my early 2009 mini and mid 2012 Air, and still sees tons of use. It's a wonderful little machine that I wind up using for much of my writing. You can also see my previous desktop that I used for years and years before getting the mini back in 2009, a G4/500DP.

Attachments

• IMG_1406.JPG
    IMG_1406.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 430

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Here's a picture of my desk at the moment. My main PowerPC Mac these days is an original 800MHz 15" iMac G4, maxed out at 1GB of RAM and happily chugging away with Leopard. It lives alongside my early 2009 mini and mid 2012 Air, and still sees tons of use. It's a wonderful little machine that I wind up using for much of my writing. You can also see my previous desktop that I used for years and years before getting the mini back in 2009, a G4/500DP.

Just wondering... What are the advantages of having the screen on its side? :eek:

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Just wondering... What are the advantages of having the screen on its side? :eek:

It's wonderful for text or list based things. I keep things like Mail over there, reference text when working on some code, things like that. It's nice to give some things a lot of extra vertical space as opposed to horizontal space.

And for the record, the Dell is the secondary display on the mini - both the Cinema Display and the Dell are hooked into the little bugger.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011

Is that a custom iPod or does it have a skin on it? and what is on your magic mouse?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It's wonderful for text or list based things. I keep things like Mail over there, reference text when working on some code, things like that. It's nice to give some things a lot of extra vertical space as opposed to horizontal space.

And for the record, the Dell is the secondary display on the mini - both the Cinema Display and the Dell are hooked into the little bugger.

Nice! I agree. That's pretty much why I use all my devices in portrait mode rather than landscape - Space.

And wow, that's a whole lot of display for a Mini!

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Is that a custom iPod or does it have a skin on it? and what is on your magic mouse?

It's a frankenPod, a 30GB fifth-generation iPod that I've kept alive for the past seven years with a fair number of replacement parts. It was originally a black iPod; I replaced the scratched front piece with a white one, as I thought it would look nifty. I've since replaced the logic board, hard disk, battery, center button, and several of the interior screws, leaving only the click wheel, LCD, and metal rear as the last vestiges of the original iPod.

As for the Magic Mouse, that is the MMFixed. I love the functionality of the Magic Mouse, but it makes my hands hurt after extended usage because it sits so low. This little hunk of silicone makes the mouse much more pleasant to use, at the expense of making it look a smidge odd.

powerpcguy

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
old mac in the wild

929976233_Picture5_122_437lo.jpg

While it's sort of the convention to present a pristine image of your clean desk and and dust-free environment, there's something to be said about the inherent messiness and collected detritus of actual work. I think :)

Last edited:

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
I also want a monitor that can be switched to portrait, especially for school (code, markup languages and so forth). There is way to much scrolling at the moment! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.