Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
Aww, you guys made me nostalgic :)

I took some of my Macs out for a family portrait :)

Back row:

iMac G4 20 Inch
1.25 GHz, 1 GB Ram, 160 GB HD, running 10.5.8

iMac G5 20 Inch
1.8 GHz,1 GB Ram, 80 GB HD, running 10.4.11 (It won't read my 10.5 DVD :( )

iMac 24 Inch (Early 2009)
3.0g GHz Core 2 Duo, 8 GB Ram, 1 TB HD, running 10.8.2

Front row:

iBook G3 (Firewire) Indigo
366 MHz, 576 MB Ram, 10 GB HD, running 10.4.11

iBook G3 (Dual USB) 12 Inch
500 MHz, 640 MB Ram, 40 GB HD, running 10.4.11

PowerBook G4 (Early 2005) 15 Inch
1.67 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD, running 10.5.8

I was thinking of doing a Godfather-style portrait with them :)

Attachments

• IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 436
Reactions: djmckillertom

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island

Nice family photo.
I actually do this when ever my family of computers grows or moves on, I keep a photo on file with my house insurance broker.
I tend to think most insurance companies would have a hard time beleiving I lost 7 Apple computers to a home break-in. :(

Reactions: Calum2

Arcsylver

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Chicago, IL
Here's my setup of my in use G4 iMac with the rest of my Mac Family.

The iMac is our current Audacity Podcast studio computer so it gets used very often in conjunction with a Blue Snowball Mic

8052067093_da8af466d3_c.jpg

The Entire Studio

8052083111_e4bba59f57_z.jpg

Reactions: PowerBookG4Enjoyer

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Here's my setup of my in use G4 iMac with the rest of my Mac Family.

The iMac is our current Audacity Podcast studio computer so it gets used very often in conjunction with a Blue Snowball Mic

The Entire Studio

Very nice collection. Is the Cinema display connected to the Macbook?

Arcsylver

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Chicago, IL
Eventually.
It is a studio display with the Funky connector that needs the expensive power/DVI converter. A friend gave it to me after he bought his new iMac. He had been using a g5 power mac with two of them but the power supply died for the third time so he upgraded

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Eventually.
It is a studio display with the Funky connector that needs the expensive power/DVI converter. A friend gave it to me after he bought his new iMac. He had been using a g5 power mac with two of them but the power supply died for the third time so he upgraded

One thing to note: When using an adapter for an ADC screen and a unibody Macbook /Pro /Air, you must use the Apple one. The other third party adapters don't work at all or hardly at all with unibody Macs.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland

Back row:

iMac G4 20 Inch
1.25 GHz, 1 GB Ram, 160 GB HD, running 10.5.8

I want! :D

iMac G5 20 Inch
1.8 GHz,1 GB Ram, 80 GB HD, running 10.4.11 (It won't read my 10.5 DVD :( )

You have plenty of other Macs that will do. All you need is FW cable ;)

Great collection and nice photo concept.

Arcsylver

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Chicago, IL
One thing to note: When using an adapter for an ADC screen and a unibody Macbook /Pro /Air, you must use the Apple one. The other third party adapters don't work at all or hardly at all with unibody Macs.

Yup which is why I said the expensive one :)

Been hunting ebay hoping to find one for less than 75 but so far no luck on that front.

Been debating on adding a G4 cube to the family but I think my partner would do unspeakable things to me if I did considering we have spent nearly $4k on computers and tech in the last 3 months between the two of us.

That MBP of the shelf isn's a Unibody model. It is the Original MBP 1.1
My collection is sort of a retroactive early adopter one. All of my Macs are the rev 1 models :)
Completely coincidental mind you. But kinda cool.

Last edited:

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
My collection is sort of a retroactive early adopter one. All of my Macs are the rev 1 models :)
Completely coincidental mind you. But kinda cool.

Mine is either the first generation model, or the last generation model. I never have one in the middle of the lifecycle, lol!

Giuly

macrumors 68040
PowerMac G4 Digital Audio w/Sonnet 1.33GHz upgrade, nVidia GeForce 2 MX, 1.5GB RAM, 2x120GB Maxtor HDD in RAID 0, DVD-R SuperDrive, (currently unused) SATA card, 5-port USB card, Mac OS X Leopard

PowerMac G4 Gigabit Ethernet w/733MHz Quicksilver CPU at 750MHz, ATI Radeon, some RAM and HDD (bought for $20 w/ broken PSU and the Sonnet CPU)

iMac G4 17" 800MHz overclocked to 900MHz, 1GB RAM, 120GB Maxtor HDD, DVD-R SuperDrive, Mac OS X Leopard

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Just picked up PowerMac G4 Dual 1.42GHz. I had some DDR sticks already so I ended upgrading memory to max. 2GB. I also had USB 2.0 card and Airport Extreme card so it was easy upgrade, however it seems that Mac OS X Tiger is not capable of connecting to WPA2-PSK networks, says that error occured so I still have to use compatilbe USB stick, which I also happened to have :) I had this same problem with iBook G4 and Tiger, with Leopard it worked.

I will probably upgrade the graphics card to a flashed Radeon 9800 Pro, the machine still has the original Radeon 9000 Pro. 9800 is bit too much for this machine as it is too slow to actually take full advantage of it, but it is the easiest one to flash and all old AGP cards are pretty cheap so why not.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Tiger can connect to WPA2 networks without a problem. Make sure the Airport Extreme's antanna is correctly plugged in.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Tiger can connect to WPA2 networks without a problem. Make sure the Airport Extreme's antanna is correctly plugged in.

Antenna is plugged well and Airport can connect to my Android -phone, but it won't even see my modem's WLAN network, I will have to type SSID and password manually after which it still fails. My phone and couple Windows -machines have no trouble and neither does this Mac when I use USB WLAN.

Arcsylver

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Chicago, IL
What's the Apple thing below the G4 iMac?

As was already stated it is the older 802.11 G Airport extreme base station. Picked it up on ebay for 11.25 shipped. was cheaper than trying to use a USB 1.1 wifi dongle to replace the 802.11 b airport card that is in the imac :D

I have it set up as an extension of my newer AEBS in the living room just for connecting the imac to out wifi network.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012

Well it seems that it is a signal issue. I took my other modem which currently has WEP -password configured, the G4 couldn't discover it. Once I brought it to the same room where the computer is it was able to connect but this is not the location the modem I supposed to be so this will not help. I will have to use USB stick or get PCI card with antenna.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Bad card or incorrectly attached antanna.

Bad card it could be, I took it out of PowerBook G4 which had motherboard defect and this is the first machine I've tried to use it with, but I don't know how the antenna could incorrectly attached since there is only one cable which is now plugged firmly.

Well, now it works. I had to reinstall Tiger after failed Leopard installation. I updated it to max. and tried to plug the AP card again. When I first installed the card, I had not installed updates and I used USB stick thinking that OS update would fix connection problems.

This time I hooked the after I had updated and the OS displayed info screen regarding Airport. I clicked Change All or something and now it does indeed work. That info screen was not displayed with the first installation / attempt so something is now different.

But, now it works and has good signal.

Last edited:

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Nice family photo.
I actually do this when ever my family of computers grows or moves on, I keep a photo on file with my house insurance broker.
I tend to think most insurance companies would have a hard time beleiving I lost 7 Apple computers to a home break-in. :(

I also keep a running tally of all my electronics on Flickr for insurance purposes.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
My temporary setup for the living room. I wanted to see if I could manage with just my G3 but I don't think I can since it has trouble even playing short low res video clips. But for browsing it's sweet.

10079.09ffdff103b97d82bf2fc611c40afb8a.jpg

Reactions: djmckillertom
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.