Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Hi.

It's been a while since I've had an iphone, and I was wondering if there are any free apps in the market that will allow you to tether Verizon LTE without restriction/pay. I read the FCC banned Verizon from blocking tethering apps.

I don't want to jailbreak as I've always had problems following jailbreak.

I'm thinking of switching back to the iphone from Android, and this is the only thing holding me back. Free tethering on Android has always worked flawlessly for me, so I would like to have a reliable tether.

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
Hi.

It's been a while since I've had an iphone, and I was wondering if there are any free apps in the market that will allow you to tether Verizon LTE without restriction/pay. I read the FCC banned Verizon from blocking tethering apps.

I don't want to jailbreak as I've always had problems following jailbreak.

I'm thinking of switching back to the iphone from Android, and this is the only thing holding me back. Free tethering on Android has always worked flawlessly for me, so I would like to have a reliable tether.

You can tether over 4G on Verizon's new share plans without additional fees. It's included.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009
I don't want to jailbreak, and I am on an unlimited plan.

I thought that there would be some legal apps in the market after the FCCs ruling. Or did I misinterpret that or does Apple block those apps.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009
What do you want to tether to?

?

I want to be able to broadcast my own wireless signal from my phone so I can connect my laptop/tablet and use LTE on the go.

I found it invaluable on a recent roadtrip I took, and it's always nice to have at airports without wifi.

I just re-read the settlement between Verizon and the FCC, and it appears that there is no restriction on Verizons part for free third party apps. The only question is whether Apple will approve these for use on the app store.

phillypharm

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2012
I don't want to jailbreak, and I am on an unlimited plan.

I thought that there would be some legal apps in the market after the FCCs ruling. Or did I misinterpret that or does Apple block those apps.

the FCC ruling only applies to phones on tiered data plans. unlimited plans are not included under net neutrality and thus verizon can still charge you for tethering.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57484000-38/verizon-to-pay-$1.25m-fcc-fine-forced-to-allow-tethering-apps/

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
You will have to wait and jailbreak your phone and use tetherme or some other tethering app. Preferably one that uses the phone's data apn rather than the tethering one.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
If you grabbed those apps with tether Easter eggs before they got pulled from App Store sync it from iTunes. Like disco recorder. But doesn't work on anything but pc and Mac for tethering (not possible with other devices)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Some time ago there were apps that somehow made it through Apple's approval process that were specifically tethering apps. They still work on the iPhone 5 as far as I'm aware, but if you didn't download them at the time, there's no way to get them now.

So the answer is that there is no way to do it for new users.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
Stupid question, since I am in the same boat. Is there a way to change the tethering APN with iPhone Configuration Utility? I peeked at it just now but did't have the option. Maybe, just maybe changing the APN would give us a tethering loophole?

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I hate Verizon's Nazi tethering plans. If I have unlimited data then I should be able to transfer that data to any of my devices at no additional cost.

justinmancini

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
I hate Verizon's Nazi tethering plans. If I have unlimited data then I should be able to transfer that data to any of my devices at no additional cost.

That's what the new plans are for. Using data on as many devices as you want. Verizon includes tethering in the new plans.

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Some plans in the U.S. don't allow tethering? In Australia all plans allow tethering. We just don't do unlimited data here.

ZacT94

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Well we no longer sign up for unlimited data plans either and some carriers throttle after a certain point. Right now AT&T throttles after 5GB.

We never had unlimited data plans to start off with. Throttling? No carriers in Australia do that. Throttling should only occur with fixed broadband connections.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.