Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
After viewing the entire video, I'd say that Woz was not definitively saying MS was more innovative but rather he was concerned that Apple was more focused on improving the current crop of products and not trying to bring out some new products that will wow us.

MS has been swinging for the fences lately and tbh, apple has not. The iPad, and iPhones are great but things are being changed incrementally.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Innovation is great. When it works and benefits the user.

Doesn't seem to be the case for Microsoft:

http://www.zdnet.com/what-not-to-buy-on-black-friday-windows-8-pcs-and-laptops-7000007557/

The risk of innovation is producing a product that fails. From what I've read and experienced. Win8 is a very good tablet/phone OS, but its really really poor on the desktop because of the metro UI.

While they're pushing some innovative designs on the mobile sector, I think they're pretty much closed minded in forcing users to live with a touch interface OS for the desktop

Renzatic

Suspended
Innovation is great. When it works and benefits the user.

Doesn't seem to be the case for Microsoft:

http://www.zdnet.com/what-not-to-buy-on-black-friday-windows-8-pcs-and-laptops-7000007557/

That article is either an obvious linkbaiting ploy, or the writer is a complete idiot. Every single thing he complains about, I can shoot down in 3 seconds.

like..

"Windows 8's Desktop looks much more like "Windows," but the interface still has only a fraction of Windows 7 Aero's functionality."

Wuh? It's literally 99% the same. The start button is gone, but you can still access the exact same things just by moving the mouse a smidge to the left, and a tiny bit down.

Metro apps aren't the best experience with a keyboard and mouse, but...get this...you don't have to use them. Ever. It's like griping about Angry Birds being on OSX brings down the entire user experience because it's meant to be used with touch.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
The risk of innovation is producing a product that fails. From what I've read and experienced. Win8 is a very good tablet/phone OS, but its really really poor on the desktop because of the metro UI.

While they're pushing some innovative designs on the mobile sector, I think they're pretty much closed minded in forcing users to live with a touch interface OS for the desktop

I can see a patch coming out the future that for desktop/laptops it will default to the traditional set up. Meto UI is great for a touch interface but horrible for a mouse and keyboard set up.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I don't see Microsoft releasing any update to bring back the old start menu. I would bet that there stance on it is if you like the classic start menu, continue to use Windows 7.

Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 are all Windows build version 6.x. You aren't missing out on much by not going to Windows 8 other than all of the new Windows RT apps and the Windows store which can be used to purchase desktop apps as well.

The start screen in and of itself is fine for mouse and keyboards. The biggest complaint anyone should have with it is it's fullscreen, and the icons are a little large.

You can sort of shrink the icons down by clicking on the minus in the lower right corner of the metro screen.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
That article is either an obvious linkbaiting ploy, or the writer is a complete idiot. Every single thing he complains about, I can shoot down in 3 seconds.

like..

"Windows 8's Desktop looks much more like "Windows," but the interface still has only a fraction of Windows 7 Aero's functionality."

Wuh? It's literally 99% the same. The start button is gone, but you can still access the exact same things just by moving the mouse a smidge to the left, and a tiny bit down.

Metro apps aren't the best experience with a keyboard and mouse, but...get this...you don't have to use them. Ever. It's like griping about Angry Birds being on OSX brings down the entire user experience because it's meant to be used with touch.

Do you have the OS installed on your own desktop? If so, what about the other issues the article raised? Such as software compatibility.

Robellyn

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2010
Edmonton CA
Do you have the OS installed on your own desktop? If so, what about the other issues the article raised? Such as software compatibility.

I've been using Windows8 for the last few weeks, and honestly, this upgrade has caused far fewer application compatibility problems than the switch from Lion to Mountain Lion did (yes, as far as operating systems go, I swing both ways).

The quoted article is from a Linux user ... I would be much more impressed if it was actually from a Windows user that actually USES the operating system!

Windows 8 is just fine. The 'Modern UI' thing is like a combination of Launchpad and Dashboard on MacOSX, and I see it so rarely in my workflow that I could hardly care less. I don't miss the START menu at all.

Renzatic

Suspended

I haven't had any problems. It runs everything that ran on 7.

----------

You can sort of shrink the icons down by clicking on the minus in the lower right corner of the metro screen.

That puts you into edit/name mode. You can't actually click the individual icons when you're in that.

Though I think if you have a touchscreen, you can do a pinch to zoom them out a little bit.

Renzatic

Suspended
hint: iCloud is not about online storage it's a synchronization technology.

Which in and of itself isn't a brand new thing. Dropbox has been doing that very thing for a couple years now at least.

There's a ton of things to like about Apple. iCloud? It isn't one of them. While I wouldn't say it's bad exactly, I wouldn't call it the greatest thing ever, either. I know tons of people here love hyping it up like it's the second coming, but what can you do with it beyond syncing documents amongst a few programs and backing up your iOS settings? In my opinion, Apple's attempt at oversimplifying the process ended up gutting everything that could've been good about it.

Right now, it feels more like Baby's First Dropbox than a proper, full featured service in its own right.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Which in and of itself isn't a brand new thing. Dropbox has been doing that very thing for a couple years now at least.

There's a ton of things to like about Apple. iCloud? It isn't one of them. While I wouldn't say it's bad exactly, I wouldn't call it the greatest thing ever, either. I know tons of people here love hyping it up like it's the second coming, but what can you do with it beyond syncing documents amongst a few programs and backing up your iOS settings? In my opinion, Apple's attempt at oversimplifying the process ended up gutting everything that could've been good about it.

Right now, it feels more like Baby's First Dropbox than a proper, full featured service in its own right.

Dropbox is actually more simple. It syncs documents to their cloud and does limited versioning and delta. It's still primarily document based though. iCloud does that easily ..the difficult part is in the smaller bits of data that isn't a document. When iCloud syncs my iCloud tabs that's not a document it's syncing it's a really tiny piece of data that I rely on to be correctly sent/retrieved.

Now in iOS 6 my shortcuts are now in sync via iCloud. iTunes 11 is going to use iCloud for syncing playback markers and history. iCloud has got to be robust enough to sync large data effectively (Core Data stores, packages etc) down to the smallest single character change (such as modifying an incorrect digit in a phone number in contact)

That's a monumental undertaking. I like and use Dropbox like the next guy/gal but iCloud is as ambitious as they come and Apple's leveraged much of the future on removing the sync'd folder as the paradigm for easy synchronization.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I haven't had any problems. It runs everything that ran on 7.

----------

That puts you into edit/name mode. You can't actually click the individual icons when you're in that.

Though I think if you have a touchscreen, you can do a pinch to zoom them out a little bit.

You are correct. That is why I said that you can "sort of" shrink them. :D
It is really just for naming groups of programs, which is basically the same concept of folders in the old Start menu.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
hint: iCloud is not about online storage it's a synchronization technology.

When it comes to synchronization nothing beats google.

Don't get me wrong, iCloud is probably OK, although I never used it. But I don't see the innovation in it as there's nothing new.

The risk of innovation is producing a product that fails.

...as Apple did many, many times. But that's normal and if it works out once in a while it's good enough. I don't really see Apple taking that risk the last few years. The go the convenient, safe way.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
When it comes to synchronization nothing beats google.

Don't get me wrong, iCloud is probably OK, although I never used it. But I don't see the innovation in it as there's nothing new.

The fact that you "perceive" iCloud to be simple is precisely why it is an amazing technology. It's low touch and frictionless yet behind the scenes it's as complex as anything that Apple has done.

Next up is Apple delivering Core Storage. In two OS revisions they've added full disc encryption, ad volume manager that has fueled Fusion Drive without things blowing up (remember they are still using HFS+ and no developer had to change their app).

Apple makes it look easy because they have talent. So much I find myself quibbling about the small stuff because expecting perfection with Apple actually feels acceptable.

:apple:

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
It is disturbing that many here consider Woz an irrelevant person, without his contributions to the personal computer world, yes it was in the '70s and early 80's, there never be anything like it is nowadays. He was a hardware genius, and the kind that actually made great software things at his time, that isn't the case nowadays: there are not experts that can excel at both things, if so please name them.
Many of the new things are software based and there is the ambition and profit in mind that drives the motivation, during Woz days, it was about doing something useful for the benefit of many, surely he was pushed to his limits by Steve Jobs, but SJ could not have ever made what he made without Woz, do you believe that any other engineer out there was able to do what Woz did? Please name it?
Understand the history to put things in context.

MaxPower72

macrumors 6502
Please stop bashing Woz, he built the Personal Computer from an idea, his idea, while SJ was busy getting high. He wasn't the money hungry type of guy and never will that's why he got out Apple when SJ started with his delusion of grandeur. Woz is a happy man that does what he really likes. If he's doing financially well he earned and deserve it and Apple isn't going to cut him loose...

----------

Woz is a joke, and a sellout. I would strongly suggest if Apple has any ties with him still, especially money related they cut him loose and let him realize what a leech he is.

the most moronic comment I read so far...

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I respect Woz's opinions. Doesn't make them at all important, but I feel he is one of the few honest guys who is just into great tech rather than saying things for money.

RSL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
Of course Woz is right. When your back is up against the wall (like MS), then you have to react.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Of course Woz is right. When your back is up against the wall (like MS), then you have to react.

Yet if you look at Patently Apple site, you see that Apple's patents are far cooler then anything Microsoft does. Even if you look at current selling products they are filled with innovations(MagSafe, AirPlay, AirDrop, super-thin chassis, retina displays, fusion drives).

Renzatic

Suspended
They don't actually have a patent on retina displays, do they?

----------

I respect Woz's opinions. Doesn't make them at all important, but I feel he is one of the few honest guys who is just into great tech rather than saying things for money.

That's what I like about him. He doesn't unquestionably love any one company. He's a fan of neat, cool stuff regardless of where it comes from.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yet if you look at Patently Apple site, you see that Apple's patents are far cooler then anything Microsoft does. Even if you look at current selling products they are filled with innovations(MagSafe, AirPlay, AirDrop, super-thin chassis, retina displays, fusion drives).

And yet we see Microsoft coming out with some pretty impressive products. I love idea of a kids corner in the win8 phones. The smart cover with an integrated keyboard, etc. I'd rather have a smart cover with a keyboard then a super thin iMac that just sits on my desk and there's no reason to shave off the thickness

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
And yet we see Microsoft coming out with some pretty impressive products. I love idea of a kids corner in the win8 phones. The smart cover with an integrated keyboard, etc. I'd rather have a smart cover with a keyboard then a super thin iMac that just sits on my desk and there's no reason to shave off the thickness

iOS has a guest mode, but it's quite a kludge to enable. Also think about the new super-thin iMacs. Why not keep the old thickness but put discrete graphics in there? Nope, not real innovation!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.