Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
He's thinking about the crap he just had...

This is where it gets difficult, as you not only have to rely on the photographer to compose the shot, but also the model to be a great subject. I quite like the way this shot is composed but the model has no life, nothing to demand my attention, no intensity or engaging air around him at all. In fact he looks bored. He needs to relax, he needs to get into the mood a little more, and he needs to not think about holding the pose so much - that's when it becomes lifeless. Like I said, I don't have a problem with the composition though, even if it isn't the most interesting way to shoot it (just my opinion though)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
The Mother Ship

I have to ask, which part of the world are you in that has this wealth of outdoor beauty (your landscapes are especially striking)?

Thanks, Puckman1. I spend at least half of each year in Slovenia and spend a lot of time shooting around here and in northern Italy.

Strassbourg...

Nicely composed, VirtualRain. Very nice sky too. Clouds have a tendency to dissipate during the "blue hour," so it's a good catch to get such an interesting sky in a shot like this.

Mine for today is one I shot a couple of weeks ago. I titled this one "The Mother Ship" because that huge cloud looked to me like a giant flying saucer coming in for a landing. I told my husband that, and he looked at me like I was crazy. I still see it, though! :p

TheMotherShip.jpg

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Mine for today is one I shot a couple of weeks ago. I titled this one "The Mother Ship" because that huge cloud looked to me like a giant flying saucer coming in for a landing. I told my husband that, and he looked at me like I was crazy. I still see it, though! :p

And there's another one there in the distance, too!

Like the shot, nice colours :)

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Doylem and TheReef, do you have a link I can plug into my newsfeed reader?

I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know what a newsfeed reader is... :confused:

I'm assuming RSS? Sorry I just upload my pictures to imageshack.us, as does Doylem.

Strassbourg...

p1276888966-4.jpg

Great balance of light and colour VR! Perfect :)
I also missed a chance to comment on the great canal shot on page 1 of this thread with but felt it was worth bringing up again! Brilliant shot!!

He's thinking about the crap he just had...

LOL!! :D :p

No, and I'm not quite sure why. I sell the photos and give them away to family and friends, but I never do anything with them for myself. I keep talking about hanging some, but I never do it. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it a fear of commitment? :p :D

I've never hung any of my own either... people have asked me for prints but never for myself. I printed 3 for an exhibition but now they're stacked under a pile of books and not on the wall :rolleyes:

I've run dry lately (no pun intended :eek:), so here's my unremarkable "UFO shot":

k526841.jpg

Last edited:

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Experimenting with my first ND filter to arrive. Taken in blindingly bright overcast light with 30 plus degree (centigrade) heat. I didn't care about people in the background, I just wanted to see the effect on different types of water features.

ND4, 1.5 seconds, f/22, 100 ISO, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 1100D.

IMG_7023.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

TheMotherShip.jpg

Not a new pic (in fact, one of the first pix I took with my brand new digital SLR... maybe five years ago), but, hell, it's raining here, and shows no sign of stopping. This is where your cloud started...

arnside1.jpg

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Not a new pic (in fact, one of the first pix I took with my brand new digital SLR... maybe five years ago), but, hell, it's raining here, and shows no sign of stopping. This is where your cloud started...

arnside1.jpg

Yes, I do believe that is the same cloud! If it took five years to get down here, then I hope you'll send more my way asap. I could use more clouds like that one instead of the dense blanket of grey I'm looking at right now! :(

appie57

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
Netherlands
Virtualrain: Love your travel photos.

Outdoors a dense fog, back indoors. All sorts of issues here, quite a challenge for me. Could only (remotely) press shutter (even in "silent mode") during loud enough movements in order not to irritate the audience AND when they were not moving too brisk with heads or arms. Quarteto Lorca, Spanish ladies living and performing here locally. They played Webern and Ravel.
DSC_2588%20-%20Version%202.jpg

D800|70-200 f2.8 @95|ISO 1600|f4.5|1/30s|

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Thanks everyone for the encouraging remarks. The photos on here keep getting more impressive all the time... It's hard to keep up with the Jones' these days. :)

I'm starting to lose track of photos from my trip that I've posted so my apologies if this is a repeat. This is the Paleokastritsa area of Corfu, Greece...

p1228492244-4.jpg

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Interesting petal detail on this chrysanthemum.

Centennial Park Greenhouse
by Cheese&Apple on Flickr

I'm enjoying your flower pictures Cheese&Apple, are they tripod taken or hand held? I find I get exponentially better shots of flowers with a tripod, than hand held with faster shutter speeds and higher ISO.

I found a good book on flower photography, "Photographing Flowers" by Harold Davis. It also covers macro basics and has become one of my favourite beginner photography books. He has a good Q&A YouTube video on flower photography from the O'Reilly channel, it's him talking on the phone, but you do get to see a lot of his shots. I find his flower work quite inspirational.

Rich-212

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2010
Lily

Some nice flower/plant pics going on here. Here's my experiment with Depth of Field. Some slight pp to reduce saturation. I like the effect but let me know what you think!

Attachments

• IMG_0651.jpg
    IMG_0651.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 99

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Some nice flower/plant pics going on here. Here's my experiment with Depth of Field. Some slight pp to reduce saturation. I like the effect but let me know what you think!

I like the overall composition of this piece, but it lacks good focus which lets it down. Manual focus and a tripod are necessary to pull this shot off well. If your aperture is really wide (or low) you can easily push this one so that just the very tip of the stamen are in focus, showing every speck of pollen there.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
I'm enjoying your flower pictures Cheese&Apple, are they tripod taken or hand held? I find I get exponentially better shots of flowers with a tripod, than hand held with faster shutter speeds and higher ISO.

Thanks ijohn...these were taken handheld. Normally I would use a tripod but the greenhouse was a bit crowded and I was a concerned that someone might knock it over. Besides, the natural lighting was very good: f/4 at 52mm, 1/90 and ISO 100.

I found a good book on flower photography, "Photographing Flowers" by Harold Davis. It also covers macro basics and has become one of my favourite beginner photography books. He has a good Q&A YouTube video on flower photography from the O'Reilly channel, it's him talking on the phone, but you do get to see a lot of his shots. I find his flower work quite inspirational.

Thanks for the tip about Harold Davis. I'll check him out on YouTube. We're beginning the descent into winter so many of the bright floral shots will be few and far between for the next six months. :( I guess things are warming up nicely for you...enjoy!

Hey, I liked your fountain shot with the new ND filter. Water can add a lot of interesting elements to a shot...keep 'em coming.

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
A world to the north

A world-renowned VQA Niagara Ice Wine. The bottle on the left is hand painted.

Niagara VQA
by Cheese&Apple on Flickr

Nice photo. I thinking those specimens cost a few bucks eh? I LOVE the hand painted bottle. I was inspired to dig around in my archives...

spiritsofinverness.jpg

This photo was taken about 800 kilometres north of Niagara Falls on a lake called Inverness. I think I've posted this one previously. I called it "spirits of Inverness". It was February of last year at -29C. You can see the top of the old pit toilet out the window.
The beer on the left was consumed by me.

By the way, Happy Thanksgiving to our US friends.

BJ

Last edited:

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
spiritsofinverness.jpg

This photo was taken about 800 kilometres north of Niagara Falls on a lake called Inverness. I think I've posted this one previously. I called it "spirits of Inverness". It was February of last year at -29C. You can see the top of the old pit toilet out the window.
The beer on the left was consumed by me.

BJ

"I am Canadian and this is my Canada" I love it. :)

But only -29C? That was a balmy February day for you BJ...you must have been wearing shorts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.