Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Guys just stop and accept that these phones can bend because of defects in the manufacturing process. Just because it hasn't happened to you and isn't widespread enough doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You don't need to place a very heavy force on it for it to behind spontaneously.

dbo43867

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
Guys just stop and accept that these phones can bend because of defects in the manufacturing process. Just because it hasn't happened to you and isn't widespread enough doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You don't need to place a very heavy force on it for it to behind spontaneously.

Until that video was posted there was exactly zero evidence to back up the bending claim. I don't understand why no one will take a picture.

Those who don't believe there are bent iPhone 5s aren't exactly denying evolution here.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
You don't need to place a very heavy force on it for it to behind spontaneously.

Uhhhh, what's your definition of "very heavy"? Tell you what, make a video of you subjecting your phone to "not very heavy" force and let's see if it bends. IF it bends at a pressure below an acceptable indrustry number I'll pay for your OOW replacement. I'll be waiting.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
Uhhhh, what's your definition of "very heavy"? Tell you what, make a video of you subjecting your phone to "not very heavy" force and let's see if it bends. IF it bends at a pressure below an acceptable indrustry number I'll pay for your OOW replacement. I'll be waiting.

Haha. Exactly!

I'm out at Vandenberg. C Springs was fun too.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010

And I'll give his video a Thumbs Up rating!

S

syd430

Did you not watch the video? It might of been pretty subtle but you can definitely see some bending occurring, followed by it gradually going back in to shape. Watch it again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
Two words: "Uri Geller"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uri_Geller

Do you-all have thread of the year nominations?

I think this one has all the "OMG, the Apple Store doesn't understand my obsessive compulsive disorder and won't give me a free 27th iPhone/iPod/iPad replacement" threads all beat to hell.

:D

S

syd430

It's CGI. The phone is not real.

Um... Look at it again. You can clearly see the reflection of the phone on the table moving with the bend. Also look at the way it bends back in to shape towards the end of the video, you can see it slow down as it gets straighter which is a well known property of aluminium when flexing back in to shape.

Honestly I think you should stop posting about subject matters that you have little knowledge about.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
I just tried to bend my phone. I am a big dude and have broken several devices I've owned, including snapping a Samsung phone from several years ago.

I can get the 5 to flex the tiniest bit- maybe- if I twist the upper corner and lower corner on the opposite side. No matter what I do the phone will not bend.

How someone can remove a 5 from an Otterbox only to have it be bent is beyond me.

Make a video of this and post it on youtube it will be very helpful. Also place your iphone in a flat table to see if it is ok.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008

There is no defect in manufacturing. Lol. It's aluminum that is pretty thin. Aluminum is a SOFT metal. It will bend and flex. If your phone is bending, stop sitting on it or applying pressure. It's that simple. Lastly, metal doesn't spontaneously bend. An outside force is needed. An ass for example. A side pocket when you sit and your jeans are too tight.

Some people have no idea what they are jabbering about. Plastic phone, it cracks/scratches. Glass phone, it cracks/scratches easy. Metal band scuffs. All aluminum glass phone, it bends/scratches too easy.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. Go get a plastic phone already and shut up.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
Um... Look at it again. You can clearly see the reflection of the phone on the table moving with the bend. Also look at the way it bends back in to shape towards the end of the video, you can see it slow down as it gets straighter which is a well known property of aluminium when flexing back in to shape.

Honestly I think you should stop posting about subject matters that you have little knowledge about.

Obviously, the expansion differences between the aluminum and glass are what's doing that, and I am easily able to replicate it with my blow dryer on high heat.

You can almost see the effect when a heat gun is applied to the 4 and the 4S, but the glass on both sides hides the actual bending.

S

syd430

It will bend and flex. If your phone is bending, stop sitting on it or applying pressure

A side pocket when you sit and your jeans are too tight.

I think most people would agree that it would be reasonable to expect a $700 phone not to bend when when simply placing it in the side pocket of tight jeans and sitting down.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
There is no defect in manufacturing. Lol. It's aluminum that is pretty thin. Aluminum is a SOFT metal. It will bend and flex. If your phone is bending, stop sitting on it or applying pressure. It's that simple. Lastly, metal doesn't spontaneously bend. An outside force is needed. An ass for example. A side pocket when you sit and your jeans are too tight.

Some people have no idea what they are jabbering about. Plastic phone, it cracks/scratches. Glass phone, it cracks/scratches easy. Metal band scuffs. All aluminum glass phone, it bends/scratches too easy.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. Go get a plastic phone already and shut up.

And if you accidentally drop your iphone and it bends? What will you think?

How many times you have drop an iphone 4 or 4s and it has the same shape? People say that the iphone 5 can bend if drop.

S

syd430

It's CGI. The phone is not real.

Obviously, the expansion differences between the aluminum and glass are what's doing that, and I am easily able to replicate it with my blow dryer on high heat.

You can almost see the effect when a heat gun is applied to the 4 and the 4S, but the glass on both sides hides the actual bending.

Thank you. See, AlphaDogg, someone else agrees that the video is real. That's 2 vs 1.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
One thing that confuses me a little is the origin of the people promoting this as another "gate"

Do hedge funds recruit non native English speaking folks to post in threads like this so they can try to manipulate Apple's stock price or are there really that many clueless morons out there?

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
I think most people would agree that it would be reasonable to expect a $700 phone not to bend when when simply placing it in the side pocket of tight jeans and sitting down.

You must have gained some weight because those must be awfully tight jeans.

esa5avan.jpg

ubagutuh.jpg

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Thank you. See, AlphaDogg, someone else agrees that the video is real. That's 2 vs 1.

Opinions don't matter. I will personally fly to your city, take you out to an expensive dinner and then kiss your feet if that's a real iPhone. Hell, I'll be your sex slave if that's a real iPhone.

S

syd430

You must have gained some weight because those must be awfully tight jeans.

Don't see what your point is?

You said that aluminium bends and that people should avoid sitting down with their phone in their side pocket if they want to avoid this.

I was pointing out that if this is actually true, then it would indeed be a design flaw by any reasonable persons standard.

Hitting your iphone with a sledge hammer or dropping off a table is one thing, putting your phone in a side pocket of a tight pair of jeans and having it bend is something altogether.

Again, not saying that it does bend that easily, just that if it was indeed true, then really it's a design flaw.

Edit: Just realised that it was the other guy that said it, not you. Never mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.