Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
...you can see it slow down as it gets straighter which is a well known property of aluminium when flexing back in to shape.

I don't think you understand what thermal expansion is. The only metal I know of that can return to it's original shape with addition/retraction of heat energy is nitinol.

Now you need to take your own advice and...
stop posting about subject matters that you have little knowledge about.

If you honestly cannot differentiate between a real iPhone and a forgery, then you need to study the design of the iPhone a little bit more. Even a layman is more familiar with iPhone design than you.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI

I love this forum, this subforum in particular. Threads like these let me prove idiots wrong.

THIS IS NOT AN IPHONE. THIS IS NOT EVEN A REAL THING.

ScreenShot2012-11-26at101019PM.jpeg

S

syd430

I don't think you understand what thermal expansion is. The only metal I know of that can return to it's original shape with addition/retraction of heat energy is nitinol.

Now you need to take your own advice and...

Mate, you're still going with this? I'm clearly joking in each of my posts. Yes the video is obviously fake. Most people can see that i'm joking.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
I think most people would agree that it would be reasonable to expect a $700 phone not to bend when when simply placing it in the side pocket of tight jeans and sitting down.

I think most people have enough sense to note the tightness and avoid stressing a thin piece of metal and glass, because it will occur to them, "This thing could bend, and that would not be good for it." At least that was my thought; maybe I'm just a lot smarter than most people. I've got the even thinner 5g Touch and was uncomfortable sitting down with it in the side pocket of some pretty relaxed fitting jeans. Part of the problem is that the pocket depth is only 8". The shorts I wear most of the time are baggier and have 12" pockets, which gets it further away from the hip joint. Like I keep it saying, if you're a guy, treat it as an honorary third boy, and you'll be all right.

----------

I love this forum, this subforum in particular. Threads like these let me prove idiots wrong.

THIS IS NOT AN IPHONE. THIS IS NOT EVEN A REAL THING.

<image snipped>

Posts like yours crowing about "exposing" the brutally obvious are even more tedious than the original lame joke post. I'm with the other guy. This thread is growing tiresome.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Dammit. Sarcasm is so hard to construe over text. You should've at least used emoticons to help show it!

Whatever, I was made a fool. I'm out of here.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Did I step into a warzone?

Ok. I think I just found myself right in a warzone. I didn't realize there are lots of Samsung and Apple folks on these forums duking it out. Right after this thread started, look at this:

SitGate just started.

I am not taking any sides, just so you know. I just want a nice phone that is 1080p (which both Apple and Samsung don't have, but HTC and Sony has). But I also want a fast OS layer (which all Android don't have, meaning Windows and iOS are faster). iOS is slower than Windows though because of the slower objective-C. It should not shatter or bend, and can take nice pictures, and is good for gaming and blu-ray movies with 1080p screen. It should push technology to the forefront.

So you guys can duke it out all you want. I just want to say this though:

Do you know you can bend a paperclip but no matter how hard you try you can't bend that SIM ejector that came with your iPhone? One is made of steel. The other is made of LiquidMetal. Steel is about 8-10 times stronger than aluminum. LiquidMetal is WAY WAY stronger than steel. The width of a paperclip is wider than what you see in your iPhone 5 near the volume button. If a paperclip is 10 times stronger than aluminum, and you can bend it, you know why the iPhone 5 (made out of aluminum) is so weak and can bend.

That is why you need tempered aluminum, either 6061-T6, 7075-T6, or a higher grade. 6061-T651 can even be pre-stretched for better stress handling. Yes, there will be people who will come in and try to justify that they use plain 6061 only, but tell that to NASA, and Gun companies that use 6061-T6 for aircraft and gun barrels. Those items needs to take more stress than someone sitting on a phone or dropping it. (aircraft needs to land and go through shockwaves, guns barrels needs to withstand extreme explosive forces). It all comes down to time and cost. Is someone willing to cut corners to save on cost and time? If yes, we all know what happened to the early versions of XBox360 with the Red Ring of Death. No companies can survive these things unscathed. Steel can even be used. But if the iPhone 5 is purposely designed to use these materials (not because of cost or time considerations), then the blame rests on the designer not taking into consideration potential bending and scratching problems.

I am concentrating on the tempered aluminum because that is one way to strengthen the current design. If you blame the design, then that is more difficult to fix. Getting another phone through FTC means iPhone 6, and the current iPhone 5 would be defective.

Last edited:

Big-T

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Do you know you can bend a paperclip but no matter how hard you try you can't bend that SIM ejector that came with your iPhone? One is made of steel. The other is made of LiquidMetal. Steel is about 8-10 times stronger than aluminum. LiquidMetal is WAY WAY stronger than steel. The width of a paperclip is wider than what you see in your iPhone 5 near the volume button. If a paperclip is 10 times stronger than aluminum, and you can bend it, you know why the iPhone 5 (made out of aluminum) is so weak and can bend.

That is why you need tempered aluminum, either 6061-T6, 7075-T6, or a higher grade. 6061-T651 can even be pre-stretched for better stress handling. Yes, there will be people who will come in and try to justify that they use plain 6061 only, but tell that to NASA, and Gun companies that use 6061-T6 for aircraft and gun barrels. Those items needs to take more stress than someone sitting on a phone or dropping it. (aircraft needs to land and go through shockwaves, guns barrels needs to withstand extreme explosive forces). It all comes down to time and cost. Is someone willing to cut corners to save on cost and time? If yes, we all know what happened to the early versions of XBox360 with the Red Ring of Death. No companies can survive these things unscathed. Steel can even be used. But if the iPhone 5 is purposely designed to use these materials (not because of cost or time considerations), then the blame rests on the designer not taking into consideration potential bending and scratching problems.

I am concentrating on the tempered aluminum because that is one way to strengthen the current design. If you blame the design, then that is more difficult to fix. Getting another phone through FTC means iPhone 6, and the current iPhone 5 would be defective.

Just a couple quick points. First, not all "steel" is created equal. Your paperclip example is a bit silly because there are steel alloys that are fairly soft, so it's not proof of anything.

I will say that I have RC racing cars that have tempered aluminum components in certain areas and they are very strong/durable. I will say that the tempered components are more brittle than the non-tempered veriety, but I don't know about falling apart in the hand as the one poster suggested. I've bashed and slammed some tempered aluminum components quite a bit and never cracked one that I didn't subject to a highly cringe-worthy crash.

I will also say that if you showed me a firearm with an alluminum barrel (tempered or otherwise) I would show you a firearm I would never fire, and would never choose to be nearby when it was fired.

JHOOPS2

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
To put it politely: You have no idea what you're talking about at all.

As an engineer let me clear some of this nonsense up.

Hard Anodizing does not absorb vibrant colors from dye. When you hard anodize stuff it is impossible to acheive a bright silver look like that found on unibody Macbooks. Or the blue tint found in the slate iPhone 5 and iPad mini.

Apple uses type II anodizing because it would be impossible for them to use anything thicker. Hard anodized stuff that's dyed looks like taking a can of vibrant paint and adding a bunch of brown to it. Imagine how your iPhone would look in that color.

As to the type of alloy they used. It would be incredibly to put it politely... not smart for them to use 6061-T6 over 6061. The tempered varriant shatters and cracks around edges and corners (like the edge of the band and the back). It would be practically impossible to make the phone so thin and light out of 6061-T6. It would just shatter at the slightest bit of force along the seams. You could break it into peices by holding it with your hand.

Because 6061 bends along the seams instead of cracks it makes the design of the iPhone 5 possible.

Apple made the iPhone out of the best and most durable materials they could. You aren't smarter tham them.

In short: the op does not seem to be informed on the subject he's discussing.

I was going to post almost the exact thing. I've dealt with anodizing a lot in the past and what you stated is 100% fact.

Thank you sir!

S

syd430

Can someone just get an iphone 5 and do some proper testing already? I'd especially like to see some real world scenarios such as placing the phone in the side pocket of a very tight pair of jeans and then repeatedly sitting down and getting up (or even squatting), say 100-200 times. No phone should break doing this, even after a couple of hundred times.

Maybe someone can link this thread to some of the major blogs, or even the youtube channels that conduct these sort of durability tests? I'm sure as hell not going to try on my iphone 5.

JHOOPS2

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
I can remember when the Droid Razr came out and some folks were bending them. People who never leave the world of Xbox were saying things like "This is bs! I thought the back was made of kevlar..you know, the bullet proof stuff".

Last edited by a moderator:
S

syd430

I can remember when the Droid Razr came out and some folks were bending them. People who never leave the world of Xbox were saying things like "This is bs! I thought the back was made of kevlar..you know, the bullet proof stuff".

Um no, we're talking about significant damage from everyday usage, such as putting the phone in the side pocket of a pair of jeans and sitting down. There have been various posters here that claim they were doing just that, and had the phone completely bend. Not sayings these claims hold any weight, just that as an ip5 owner, I'm curious as to what extent it's true, as it renders the phone far less durable than previous models. As my post above, I'd like to see some real world testing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.