Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:07 PM   #1
balamw

For the love of Lego

Loving the LEGO minifig Steve!

B

[MOD NOTE]
I moved the Lego side discussion out of a Site and Forum Feedback thread and into a new thread

Last edited by maflynn; Nov 29, 2012 at 06:08 AM.
balamw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:21 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
Loving the LEGO minifig Steve!

B
Agreed, it is very nice.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:21 AM   #3
tardman91
macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys. I'm kind of a Lego maniac. I've been playing with/collecting them for 20+ years. I'm only missing something like 3 pieces out of the over 15,000 that I have from all the sets I've ever had. They're all cataloged and organized in ziplock bags with their directions and stuff. I was one of those freakishly neat children.
tardman91 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:52 AM   #4
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardman91 View Post
Thanks guys. I'm kind of a Lego maniac. I've been playing with/collecting them for 20+ years. I'm only missing something like 3 pieces out of the over 15,000 that I have from all the sets I've ever had. They're all cataloged and organized in ziplock bags with their directions and stuff. I was one of those freakishly neat children.
Damn, boy! (Although my Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon is 5195 pieces alone. )
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:20 AM   #5
tardman91
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
Damn, boy! (Although my Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon is 5195 pieces alone. )
I REALLY want that set. That and the Death Star. I just can't bring myself to spend $400+ on a Lego set. I settled for the smaller scale Millennium Falcon that came out last year.
tardman91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:16 AM   #6
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardman91 View Post
I was one of those freakishly neat children.
I have one like you and one ... not so much at home. Tons of LEGO at the house, some even belongs to the kids.

The only Falcon at the house is 7778

B
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:43 AM   #7
tardman91
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

B
I have that one and 7965
tardman91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:48 PM   #8
millerj123
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
B
My boys got me that one for Christmas a year or two ago so I could play Lego with them. I guess they got tired of me hiding my Galaxy Commander, 6984
millerj123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:56 AM   #9
twietee
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerj123 View Post
My boys got me that one for Christmas a year or two ago so I could play Lego with them. I guess they got tired of me hiding my Galaxy Commander, 6984
What a beauty! Wonder if my mysterious and beloved 6891 could still take off.

Off topic, I have serious problems with my avatar(s) though.
twietee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:43 AM   #10
Macman45
macrumors G5

I posted this a while back, but it's still worthy of a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX09WnGU6ZY

A fully functional Lego printer!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:36 AM   #11
stridemat

Yeay. I love lego!

Anyone got any of these? It's grown up lego
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:39 AM   #12
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stridemat View Post
Anyone got any of these? It's grown up lego
I saw them but I prefer the Star Wars instead of these
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:12 AM   #13
robbieduncan

Anyone in London been to see the giant Lego advent calendar?

http://londonist.com/2012/11/giant-l...ent-garden.php

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by twietee View Post
What a beauty! Wonder if my mysterious and beloved 6891 could still take off.

Off topic, I have serious problems with my avatar(s) though.
I had a Galaxy Explorer (497) as a kid. Not sure how as it was released a year after I was born!
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:18 AM   #14
heehee
macrumors 68020

I love lego!

I used to have alot of sets, but gave them all to my nephew since it just sits there.
heehee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:06 AM   #15
tobefirst
macrumors 68030

It shouldn't come as a surprise that I'm a LEGO fan as well. (:
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:24 AM   #16
samiwas
macrumors 65816

I was a major LEGO kid. I spent hours and days playing with them from the time I can remember until maybe 12-13 years old.

30 years later, I still have all of them in some bins in the attic. I'm hoping that my now-7-month-old will grow to love them as he gets older. Purely so I can play with them again, too.

Mine are all piled into bins, but I hope to have some time to organize them one day.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:31 AM   #17
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

I buy Lego sets, put them together, take them apart, then give the sets to my nephews. I get the fun of putting them together then they get the fun of having really sweet and expensive sets for free! They got a Lego Death Star out of it and almost all the LOTR ones recently.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:57 AM   #18
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I love Legos. I have a great time working with my son, when he gets a set.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:36 AM   #19
Huntn
macrumors 604

I hate Legos as "play" toys. You will not change my mind. This was recently reinforced as my Grand kids play with them, break them, they fall apart, and constantly are losing parts. My wife insists on buying them. Yeach!

For building, they are great, but after this they need to be placed on a shelf and admired. My son who is now 30+ had about 20 sets that now reside in a big bucket. However one of his kits remain intact (I think ) his Red X-Wing Fighter ($200 version) which is a piece of art, but definitely not made to play with, no frick'n way. I think this is it. 20"x18".

Last edited by Huntn; Jun 14, 2014 at 10:43 AM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:12 PM   #20
jlsm511
macrumors 6502

Legos defined my childhood, and I still get some now as a 27 year old, although usually only 2-3 sets per year. The detail and engineering behind them though is insane, and what they can do now would have been unthinkable to me back when I was a little kid.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 04:41 PM   #21
rhett7660
macrumors 604

I love lego's too! I have a boat load that I have not even taken out of the boxes yet.

Has anybody seen this bad boy!

http://www.dvice.com/2014-6-6/40000-...-long-behemoth

WOW

My favorites were the the Technic style lego's and the master builders/modelers (I think that is what they were called).
Old Jun 14, 2014, 06:04 PM   #22
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
I love lego's too! I have a boat load that I have not even taken out of the boxes yet.

WOW
That is fracking amazing!
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:48 PM   #23
jlsm511
macrumors 6502

Quote:

WOW

My favorites were the the Technic style lego's and the master builders/modelers (I think that is what they were called).
Holy frack that is amazeballs!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 01:24 PM   #24
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
I hate Legos as "play" toys. You will not change my mind. This was recently reinforced as my Grand kids play with them, break them, they fall apart, and constantly are losing parts. My wife insists on buying them. Yeach!

For building, they are great, but after this they need to be placed on a shelf and admired. My son who is now 30+ had about 20 sets that now reside in a big bucket. However one of his kits remain intact (I think ) his Red X-Wing Fighter ($200 version) which is a piece of art, but definitely not made to play with, no frick'n way.
I can totally relate to your point of view. I have two boys age 9 and 5. They love legos and have a variety of them. The standard cycle is to build the set according to the instructions and then they begin to play with them during which they make modifications according to their impulsive little devious minds. At this point the possibility of ever reclaiming the original product is completely lost forever as the pieces ultimately end up in the play room in the void and formless abyss that is know as the "lego bucket". Watching this play out challenges me to the core as there is an internal struggle between the logical and organized side of me and the free spirited "let's just have fun" side of me. Ultimately, I end up on the free spirit side and don't intervene in their play, but the day one of them comes to me wanting to restore one of the sets to its original design will be a sad day. It will take all of my patience and love to not launch into a tirade about the importance of being organized and keeping things neatly in their place. Oh, the woes of parenting...

Last edited by mscriv; Jun 16, 2014 at 04:11 PM.
mscriv is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 01:49 PM   #25
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscriv View Post
I can totally relate to your point of view. I have two boys age 9 and 5. They love legos and have a variety of them. The standard cycle is to build the set according to the instructions and then they begin to play with them during which they make modifications according to their impulsive little devious minds. At this point the possibility of ever reclaiming the original product is completely lost forever as the pieces ultimately end up in the play room in the void and formless abyss that is know as the "lego bucket". Watching this play out challenges me to the core as there is an internal struggle between the logical and organized side of me and the free spirited "let's just have fun" side of me. Ultimately, I end up on the free spirit side and don't intervene in their play, but the day one of them comes to me wanting to restore one of the sets to it's original design will be a sad day. It will take all of my patience and love to not launch into a tirade about the importance of being organized and keeping things neatly in their place. Oh, the woes of parenting...
This is especially true if the children you hare handing these kits over to are to young to build them, as in our case. The kits were small, we built them a couple of days ago for the kids, and today were handed back a pile of bricks wanting us to build them again. I'm like, "ask your Nanna."

----------

Quote:

WOW

Keep them in the box for ten years then sell for a profit after they are discontinued. We sold a bunch of Harry Potter buildings/castles at a profit and they were not even in the box, but my wife had to rebuild most of them to verify contents.
The Mall of America Lego store used to have some large builds 9' tall, but using larger blocks. That's the other thing, they are just plastic, too damned expensive.

Last edited by Huntn; Jun 16, 2014 at 01:57 PM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion