Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
For some of you that prefer the old ways:

1. Click upper left medu icon
2. Select "Show Menu Bar"
3. Select "View"
4. Select "Show Side Bar"

This will bring back what many are used to. However, Cover Flow and Re-sizing Cover Art is still missing and should never have been removed, it was not hurting anyone to be there and you had a choice to use/not use. Now we are all forced to "not use" :(

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
The only thing I want is when you uncheck "Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases" under the store prefs, that it stays unchecked.

monotune

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
I have to say I miss Coverflow. I also want to be able to have Albums displayed by most recently added. Like a lot of you this is the default I used. New sound engine? I doubt it! Amarra is excellent!!!!!!!! Try it!

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I can't believe they got rid of cover flow. That was the only way I ever considered sorting my music. I love seeing the album artwork. Luckily one of the views is half decent. A friend of mine went back to iTunes 10 because of it though. Stupid to not even have the option.

geomacbcn

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2010
slowest search enging EVER!

What a dinosaur stuck-in-a-tarpit-SLOW search engine. I DO have 50,000+ tracks, admittedly, but that ain't grounds for the molasses-slow speed. Version 10 worked like a dream. I guess apple is making it unbearable for users of 'vintage' 5 year old dual corpse processor macs. Time to bury our slow macs in landfill, get a life, and pay the :apple: speed tax.:mad:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I'll never understand people using 'only a small minority liked X' as a justification for removing features... only a small minority of computer users use OS X at all, you'd think Apple would be a little more sensitive to accommodating the wishes of the minority when it doesn't really have to impact the majority in any way...
+1
Apple don't give it's customers choice.

Apple are about the majority.

It's a wonder the terminal still exists in OSX. It costs apple money to keep it there and I expect the majority do not use it.

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
Hopefully they add back the ability to search who's featured in the songs, I use the composer tag, which worked before, but Apple apparently broke, because that's what Apple does now.

davydavy

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
I have to say I miss Coverflow. I also want to be able to have Albums displayed by most recently added. Like a lot of you this is the default I used. New sound engine? I doubt it! Amarra is excellent!!!!!!!! Try it!

I agree 100% - my everyday use of itunes is coverflow with the albums listed by most recently added, so I'm keeping well clear of this 'upgrade'.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Cover art appears blurry in Album view.

They need to remove Cover Flow bloat from iOS as well.

MacFoodPoisoner

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
Cover art appears blurry in Album view.

They need to remove Cover Flow bloat from iOS as well.

Apple has become remarkably stupid in ui design. Stupid as in ms circa 2000-2005 stupid. Big time stupid. The remove cover flow in the only place were cover flow is warranted, because, well, cd's, lp's have, well COVERS, and it's nice to browse through them as if you were browsing through your physical items, BUT they have retained cover flow in the os where you browse files as.. covers... They take it away from the one place it makes sense, and maintain it where it doesn't. Millions of people like cover flow in itunes even if they are a minority, almost no one likes it in os x. It stays in os x, it goes away in itunes. Complete and utter horse ****.

amps211

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2003
Apple has become remarkably stupid in ui design. Stupid as in ms circa 2000-2005 stupid. Big time stupid. The remove cover flow in the only place were cover flow is warranted, because, well, cd's, lp's have, well COVERS, and it's nice to browse through them as if you were browsing through your physical items, BUT they have retained cover flow in the os where you browse files as.. covers... They take it away from the one place it makes sense, and maintain it where it doesn't. Millions of people like cover flow in itunes even if they are a minority, almost no one likes it in os x. It stays in os x, it goes away in itunes. Complete and utter horse ****.

idk. The only time I ever use cover flow is in the finder. I have a folder of pictures on my desktop and when I want to scroll through it I turn on cover flow. A million times better than trying to look at the thumbnails to figure out what I'm looking at.

----------

You can do this by going to "Songs" and sorting by "Date Added".

J

or just put back the side bar on the left and use the 'recently added' playlist

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
...you'd think Apple would be a little more sensitive to accommodating the wishes of the minority when it doesn't really have to impact the majority in any way...

Apple's stake in portable music players and online music sales isn't the minority, though. They are the Microsoft of digital media sales, and they're apparently learning to act like Microsoft now, too (our way or no way, who cares what the customer really wants).

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
11 is a POS. The only meaningful upgrade I will make is to revert back to 10.

If it ain't f'in' broke....

----------

You know what's funny.

And I know this will piss you all off, but, Windows Media player is now 10x more functional and useful than iTunes.

If it worked with iPhone and was available on Mac it would be a hit.

Itunes 11 is the worst piece of mac software I have ever used. And it's not even close.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
What alternatives do we have to itunes for managing our music libraries?

I tried to reinstall itunes 10 and had some problems getting it up and running again.

I know I'm supposed to use time machine in the event that I don't like a program or an update, but I never expected 11 to be so BAD.

The search feature in particular is complete trash.

I also hate the fact that there is only ONE list which shows bitrate.

I hate 11. This is the first piece of software from apple in a long time which has led me to doubt their competence.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Not to derail the thread, but can you teach me what you mean by this? I wasn't aware that there were apps that had better sound quality than iTunes. Or, put another way, I didn't realize that iTunes had bad sound quality (unrelated to inherent mp3-type issues). I'm quite curious. Thanks.

If your intention is to use speakers, other than the built-in ones, there are many options out there to significantly improve your iTunes library's sound quality. Here's one of many: http://highresolutiontechnologies.com/

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Here is the deal with CoverFlow

IT WAS AN OPTION ! You didn't have to like it or use it at all !

For having your songs on shuffle with a stereo system hooked up to the TV it was Awesome !

Saying you're glad it's gone is stupid.

Not if it was an impact on performance, which it very well may have been. Course Apple could have dropped it for some sort of legal reason I have heard floating around as well.

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
View > Show Sidebar

Hm. I had used the new iTunes for a week now without the sidebar and was quite happy. But now I turned the sidebar back on for a change. How could I miss the sidebar! This is so much easier and a much cleaner look.

About the coverflow: For me, one great disadvantage of coverflow is the need to scroll horizontally. And horizontal scrolling with anything related to a list of items is bad, bad, bad. Also, I only have very few songs with album art. But I admit, Coverflow in Safari History has saved me several times already.

stol

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
Greece
Am I the only one missing the Album List view that was introduced in iTunes 10? I can see no way to view songs in a list along with their covers now... The Artist View list comes close in terms of appearance but has nothing to do in context.

Also, to those suggesting that we should sort using the Date Added column in list view, iTunes rarely imports tracks (not bought from the iTunes store) in order. Sorting a playlist by Date Added usually results in playing back an album out of order, which is very frustrating. I actually made up a Hazel script to import tracks in reverse order so that when sorting by Date Added, Track 1 comes up first (as the most recently imported). Then again, no way to view Album Art this way - ugh!

I was secretly hoping that the new iTunes would feature a "Date Added by Album" sorting option... this, along with the new "Grid" view would be awesome, but no - Grid view means that we should always sort by Artist/Title/Year/Genre/Rating [<- boring!] - No Date Added option there...

----------

Also, for those that haven't noticed it, the "old" search behavior - instant filtering of the displayed list of tracks instead of spotlight-style results (which I find terribly slow) - is still there. All you have to do is click on the magnifying lens in the search box and uncheck the "Search Entire Library" option.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Geez Apple we aren't all illiterate idiots. Simplification with less features is a downgrade to me. Now the damn program is missing features that iTunes had back at 5.0.

Fortunately the latest generation iPods/iPhone can still run under the iTunes 10 program.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Also, to those suggesting that we should sort using the Date Added column in list view, iTunes rarely imports tracks (not bought from the iTunes store) in order. Sorting a playlist by Date Added usually results in playing back an album out of order, which is very frustrating. I actually made up a Hazel script to import tracks in reverse order so that when sorting by Date Added, Track 1 comes up first (as the most recently imported). Then again, no way to view Album Art this way - ugh!

If you sort by Date Added, select one of the songs in the album and click the Album button it will display the album with the tracks in the correct order.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Guess I won't be upgrading. When I use iTunes, I use cover flow nearly exclusively. Lately though, I only use iTunes for cataloguing, not playing music.

stol

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
Greece
If you sort by Date Added, select one of the songs in the album and click the Album button it will display the album with the tracks in the correct order.

Well, what I had in iTunes 10, a list by date added (never mind I had to sort it out by myself with scripting) with Album artwork (the Album List View it is) is now gone, for no apparent reason (it's still there somehow in the Artist View). Clicking on the Album button takes me to Grid View, which while I think is a great improvement over the previous one, stops playing when the Album is finished - even if it would keep on playing, it would not continue to the next album in the "date added" order - so it is not my preferred playback mode.

I've submitted my concerns on the iTunes feedback page, now that it finally has an option for the correct iTunes version (it was stuck in 10.6.3 last time I had it checked)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.