Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:26 AM   #51
coolguy879
Banned

Like a poster said earlier, it's becoming harder and harder to find exploits in the iOS. Plus, the top JB'ers have lives outside of hacking. To them, a JB isn't everything. And they spend countless hours trying to JB an iOS version only for Apple to thwart them and release the next one. I have a bad feeling that iOS 6.x will be the last version that will be JB'ed as iOS 7.x will probably be unjailbreakable.
coolguy879 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:05 AM   #52
F123D
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman View Post
If it's dead then it's Hello Android or Windows 8 for me I've never been a conformist.
I told myself I'd be patient but stock iOS is so plain and boring.. As much as I love jailbreaking, I've grown tired of the cat and mouse game with apple. Returned my iPhone 5 and trying out android this year. Really enjoying it so far.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:52 AM   #53
King Bowser
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
I told myself I'd be patient but stock iOS is so plain and boring.. As much as I love jailbreaking, I've grown tired of the cat and mouse game with apple. Returned my iPhone 5 and trying out android this year. Really enjoying it so far.
What phone did you get ?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:07 AM   #54
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

I've always seen Apple as having a dual strategy: Appliances and computers.

iDevices are appliances. They're limited in what they can do, and are good for very specific tasks (consuming media)

Macs are computers. They can do whatever you like, run any code you wish, and are good for doing anything you'd want to do with a computer.

It was that way from the beginning. Apple has never "taken anything away" from us. iOS devices were restricted from the start, and Macs have always been open. Even though the locked-down nature of iOS devices goes against some of my principles, I can justify it to myself by thinking they are appliances and not meant for doing all the things you'd do with a real computer.
zorinlynx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:39 AM   #55
The Highlander
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmandp View Post
I bet if every single jailbreaker switched to android it would have very little effect on Apple
You think so?

Everyone around me had an iPhone because I pushed it forward... being a tech savvy guy around here makes my opinion matter...

Now...........
I have a note 2
My mother has a one X+
my wife is getting my 4S but soon will get another android.
My father was going to go from Android to iPhone and now he is staying.

Sorry.... one angry customer counts x5. Always... look it up...

It looks to be the same around here... When Apple lets the jailbreak scene flourish I "might" be back...

There are too many good things on the Android scene and its getting better... Apple is becoming a little stale.. Granted... its still the best OS out of the box and everything simply works as it should w/o issues or hiccups... and base features are best in class... but... Android is getting lockscreen widgets and I can no longer install Lockinfo on an i5?

Don't worry... the door won't hit me when I get out.
The Highlander is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:55 AM   #56
The Highlander
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grolubao View Post
Sure, but if Apple would allow it they would need to cope with all the request they would get from people having problems with the Jailbreak, they don't want to waste money on that.

The only way I would see it would be if Apple would actually sell the service legally, but then in a way is admiting our software is not that great and you need "add-ons" to augment the operating system.
The first thing the tech will do is flash it back to stock.... people will loose the jailbreak and learn they can't bring a jailbroken device for "checkup" unless its a hardware issue.

People who jailbreak most likely can fix the issues, that geniuses can solve w/o hardware change, themselves and look for solutions online.
The Highlander is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:08 AM   #57
isoft7
macrumors 6502a

One aspect I do find curious is just how many "ideas" Apple steals from the JB community. Such as the notification center or the "Do not disturb" function.

In a way, Apple NEEDS the JB devs to manipulate the OS and unlock functionality.

Apple steals their ideas without legal remorse as they're operating in an illegal fashion to begin with.

If Apple doesn't provide an option for third party development iOS will continue to see a downward spiral in progress as well as platform adoption.

COOK IF YOU ARE READING THIS, ALLOW USERS TO JB OUT OF THE BOX IN EXCHANGE FOR LOSS OF WARRANTY!
isoft7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:15 PM   #58
Grolubao
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Highlander View Post
The first thing the tech will do is flash it back to stock.... people will loose the jailbreak and learn they can't bring a jailbroken device for "checkup" unless its a hardware issue.

People who jailbreak most likely can fix the issues, that geniuses can solve w/o hardware change, themselves and look for solutions online.
True, but in the meanwhile the appointment is made and the Genius time is wasted, so money lost
Grolubao is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:31 PM   #59
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
You think so?

Everyone around me had an iPhone because I pushed it forward... being a tech savvy guy around here makes my opinion matter...

Now...........
I have a note 2
My mother has a one X+

It looks to be the same around here... When Apple lets the jailbreak scene flourish I "might" be back...

There are too many good things on the Android scene and its getting better... Apple is becoming a little stale.. Granted... its still the best OS out of the box and everything simply works as it should w/o issues or hiccups... and base features are best in class... but... Android is getting lockscreen widgets and I can no longer install Lockinfo on an i5?

Not a prob.
I think Apple will be fine without your or your 5x angry customer count
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 03:43 PM   #60
F123D
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Bowser View Post
What phone did you get ?
Galaxy Note II

----------

Quote:
You think so?

Same with my office. I got a lot of people to purchase iPhones after the iPhone 4 came out. Now some are oohing and aahing over my Note II. I may not enjoy the iPhone like I used to but I do still enjoy certin apple products. (Still have an iPad, never really cared about jailbreaking it).
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:35 AM   #61
The Highlander
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
Galaxy Note II

----------

Same with my office. I got a lot of people to purchase iPhones after the iPhone 4 came out. Now some are oohing and aahing over my Note II. I may not enjoy the iPhone like I used to but I do still enjoy certin apple products. (Still have an iPad, never really cared about jailbreaking it).
I agree.. jailbreak on the iPad is not that "necessary". I don't use the iPad as a productivity tool. That is what the iPhone was for (act as a PDA).

Note 2 is great... the S-pen is really a very useful piece.
The Highlander is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:36 PM   #62
dinggus
Banned

I can't wait for a JB to come out, my iPad Mini will be much better as a laptop replacement.
dinggus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:44 PM   #63
Sensamic
macrumors 68000

Last year at least we got hints of an upcoming jailbreak from pod2g, but this year I've seen nothing.

Pod2g said a while ago he stopped working on the jailbreak scene and wouldn't be working on an ios 6 jailbreak.

Neither has musclenerd said anything in months.

Last year it was released at the end of December, but since there is no evidence of anyone working on it right now I'd say there won't be anytime soon.

I don't know if the jailbreak scene is over or not, but it sure looks like it.

We saw it coming. I don't care too much since I now have a SGS3 and it can be jailbreak and tweaked very easily and its awesome.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:18 PM   #64
Schnedi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamic View Post
We saw it coming. I don't care too much since I now have a SGS3 and it can be jailbreak and tweaked very easily and its awesome.
+1000 SG3 and Android are the BEST
Schnedi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:34 PM   #65
Maverick1337
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnedi View Post
+1000 SG3 and Android are the BEST
This may be a dumb question, but the biggest reason keeping me from switching to an SG3 and android is the customer service. Where do you take it if it malfunctions? If I have to deal with AT&T customer support, I will never buy a product outside of Apple then.

Maverick1337 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:39 PM   #66
Bensalama21
macrumors regular

Quote:
You think so?

Now...........
I have a note 2
My mother has a one X+

The problem is that jailbreaking causes developers to lose millions of dollars due to torrented apps. Stop this and you will see jailbreaking again.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:58 PM   #67
drakestan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensalama21 View Post
The problem is that jailbreaking causes developers to lose millions of dollars due to torrented apps. Stop this and you will see jailbreaking again.
Child please.
drakestan is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:35 PM   #68
Bensalama21
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakestan View Post
Child please.
For developers that are barely making profit, it hurts.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:40 PM   #69
Ashin
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensalama21 View Post
For developers that are barely making profit, it hurts.
What makes you think those people that pirate would have bought it to begin with?
Ashin is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:45 PM   #70
moonman239
macrumors 6502a

It's a free market. I encourage everyone to buy the product that best suits them.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:51 PM   #71
LoneWolf121188
macrumors 6502a

What's the longest wait time (historically) between the release of a new product and it being jailbroken? I didn't get the 4S, but I don't remember waiting this long after the 4 was released...

Starting to consider the SG3...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:59 PM   #72
labman
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf121188 View Post
What's the longest wait time (historically) between the release of a new product and it being jailbroken? I didn't get the 4S, but I don't remember waiting this long after the 4 was released...

Starting to consider the SG3...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_jailbreaking
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:27 PM   #73
Bensalama21
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashin View Post
What makes you think those people that pirate would have bought it to begin with?
Because I, like most of the population, did. Then guess what? I stopped jailbreaking my phone and ended up buying like $600 worth of apps.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:35 PM   #74
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeTechLover View Post
If the jailbreak scene dies,even though I have an iP4 I can downgrade back to 5.1.1,,I will most likely go to Windows once the contract is up
You realise that Windows RT running on ARM requires secure boot.

I.e., microsoft's version of code-signing, and will require a developer cert to upload code to the device.

Just like apple.
throAU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:39 PM   #75
loon3y
macrumors 6502a

u guys are silly if you dont think a JB is going to come out, if theres a will theres a way, and someone out there out of the billions has a will.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks