Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
My Samsung chargers have never made a noise at all and i plug it in every night. Come to think of it, ive never had a charger make noise whether it be my Nokia, Moto, Apple or Samsung chargers.

Maybe you just couldn't heard it, I don't know I can't explain in English but I might be full of **** anyway :D

Loving these thing ! Finally resolved a issue I had with the play store (couldn't download pay apps) I must say Google costumer support have been nice and with prompt response to me.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I'm getting the same speed or maybe a bit better than my 4s, can't complaint cause I don't even need that "much" :D

u3y9abep.jpg

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Hey folks to get a better idea of what is using battery power try GSam Battery Monitor. As good as the builtin battery information is--especially compared to iOS--this one is much better. Really lets you see what is using what.

I am still tweaking things but so far I can't find that one or two things that are really sucking down battery. I have turned a lot of stuff off too, at least when on battery power.

Michael

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-08-10-04-48.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-08-10-04-48.png
    208.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot_2012-12-08-10-04-29.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-08-10-04-29.png
    178.7 KB · Views: 63

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
One peeve that is really starting to annoy me is the feature to end call with the sleep button. While that works as expected it is utterly annoying that it does it with the screen off too. How exactly am I supposed to turn the screen back on, if it has timed out to off, while I am on a call without hanging up the call? In my opinion that feature should allow you to actually see the screen when it is off without hanging up the caller.

Or am I missing something obvious? Volume buttons do nothing.

Michael

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
One peeve that is really starting to annoy me is the feature to end call with the sleep button. While that works as expected it is utterly annoying that it does it with the screen off too. How exactly am I supposed to turn the screen back on, if it has timed out to off, while I am on a call without hanging up the call? In my opinion that feature should allow you to actually see the screen when it is off without hanging up the caller.

Michael

I almost always use speaker to talk and the screen inevitable goes off. I can turn the screen back on without hanging up. There must be a setting somewhere.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Michael

I think id change it to where to sleep button doesnt hang up my phone. Isnt there an "end" button on the dialer when you are in a call? There has got to be more options.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
My Nexus 4 is scheduled to arrive on Monday! As an iOS veteran, and less of an Android expert. I really want to see how the experience differs on a Nexus device vs. an S3. So far I've been very pleased with the S3.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
My Nexus 4 is scheduled to arrive on Monday! As an iOS veteran, and less of an Android expert. I really want to see how the experience differs on a Nexus device vs. an S3. So far I've been very pleased with the S3.

I am finding it very difficult to decide which to sell out of the two of them, and it will take a while longer.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I am finding it very difficult to decide which to sell out of the two of them, and it will take a while longer.

What do you like/hate about each? I have both.

Nexus 4:
- Great screen
- Latest OS
- Looks sexy
- Wireless charging
- I hate the haptic feedback on the Nexus 4 but I hate not having haptic feedback even more :p
- Still tinkering with it trying to get better battery life

Galaxy S3:
- Expandable storage
- Replaceable battery (big plus here)
- Feels more comfortable to hold
- Vibration (haptic and system) feels a lot nicer
- I prefer the LED on the S3. It looks better and it's bigger.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
just got an update, if i saw right it was about 1.1mb :) stuff seems more fluid or maybe its just a placebo.

power toggles its great ! thanks onthecouch.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas

This is something I'll be struggling with as well. The only deciding factor I can see that might be a problem would be the lack of LTE on the Nexus. I get excellent LTE service with AT&T where I am so I'll really be watching the HSPA+ speeds closely. I plan to swap sims immediately, and use the Nexus 4 as my daily driver for a few weeks before making my final decision on which one to keep. Now that my S3 has official Jelly Bean, this will a much harder decision can't wait! :cool:

EDIT: For those complaining about poor battery life on the Nexus 4, have you tried Juice Defender? I have it installed on my S3, and my phone lasts a full day with moderate to heavy usage.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
This is something I'll be struggling with as well. The only deciding factor I can see that might be a problem would be the lack of LTE on the Nexus. I get excellent LTE service with AT&T where I am so I'll really be watching the HSPA+ speeds closely. I plan to swap sims immediately, and use the Nexus 4 as my daily driver for a few weeks before making my final decision on which one to keep. Now that my S3 has official Jelly Bean, this will a much harder decision can't wait! :cool:

EDIT: For those complaining about poor battery life on the Nexus 4, have you tried Juice Defender? I have it installed on my S3, and my phone lasts a full day with moderate to heavy usage.

I like having data all the time so Juice Defender isn't an option for me.

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal

Michael

Settings -> Accessibility :cool:

Bad thing to activate. Annoyed the hell out of me too, and I forgot where to disable it.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I like having data all the time so Juice Defender isn't an option for me.

Does it disable data when you're using the phone as well? I'm not entirely aware, but I thought it only disabled background processes that would normally be used when the phone was asleep. Or disabled the ones that weren't being used or needed at the time.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Does it disable data when you're using the phone as well? I'm not entirely aware, but I thought it only disabled background processes that would normally be used when the phone was asleep. Or disabled the ones that weren't being used or needed at the time.

I'm not entirely sure how it works but I think it disables the radios when not in use but I rely on whatsapp for communication and it uses data.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
What do you like/hate about each? I have both.

Nexus 4:
- Great screen
- Latest OS
- Looks sexy
- Wireless charging
- I hate the haptic feedback on the Nexus 4 but I hate not having haptic feedback even more :p
- Still tinkering with it trying to get better battery life

Galaxy S3:
- Expandable storage
- Replaceable battery (big plus here)
- Feels more comfortable to hold
- Vibration (haptic and system) feels a lot nicer
- I prefer the LED on the S3. It looks better and it's bigger.

I must admit that I like the experience with both phones, I am normally very decisive, but TBH, this one is causing me a real headache, I can't really justify having 2 phones but love the screen size and touchwiz on the S3, the N4, I love the quality of the screen but also like vanilla Android. I am not a big user and have been very lucky with the battery on my N4, it's as good as I have had.

If your experience is like mine Chris you will have some soul searching to do at the end of your trial period, tis a nice problem to have though:). LTE is not a problem for me as the International S3 doesn't have it, and TBH, where I live in the UK will not be getting it for at least a year. Enjoy both your phones.:D

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I decided to call Google Tech support for the answer, and the fella I spoke with says the earpiece buzzing is not the father of your baby (/Maury mode) -- I mean, not causing battery drain.

He said it's a manufacturing defect and they'd be happy to send a replacement unit (I said, sure) but he assures that they've looked into it and it's not causing battery drain.

He went on to say Google is planning to send out an update very soon to patch a few bugs, including battery drain issue.

The gentleman sounded legit, but who knows. I hope it is true.

I urge y'all to call Google Tech Support and ask the same. Let's see if there's any consensus.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I decided to call Google Tech support for the answer, and the fella I spoke with says the earpiece buzzing is not the father of your baby (/Maury mode) -- I mean, not causing battery drain.

He said it's a manufacturing defect and they'd be happy to send a replacement unit (I said, sure) but he assures that they've looked into it and it's not causing battery drain.

He went on to say Google is planning to send out an update very soon to patch a few bugs, including battery drain issue.

I urge y'all to call Google Tech Support and ask the same. Let's see if there's any consensus.

Including battery drain huh? I hope so. Did you mention anything about touch sensitivity? I did and they acted like they had never heard of it. They asked if I had seen users complaining on the Internet. I of course directed them here and Pocket now a video review.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Including battery drain huh? I hope so. Did you mention anything about touch sensitivity? I did and they acted like they had never heard of it. They asked if I had seen users complaining on the Internet. I of course directed them here and Pocket now a video review.

Call again and ask what they say about the ear piece buzzing + battery drainage. If you can.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas

That last part about an update for battery drain is definitely good news! I hope my replacements gets in soon though. My 4S feels so limited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.