Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
How do you turn off google now ? Btw how to disable that google option when you hold the "home"

To disable it, open it and goto its settings (three dots on a lot of devices) and there is an on off toggle.

I don't know of a way to get it not to pop up on a long home press. I think it's like Siri in that aspect of stuff still happens.(voice control).

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I think id change it to where to sleep button doesnt hang up my phone. Isnt there an "end" button on the dialer when you are in a call? There has got to be more options.

Yes you can turn that feature off... but I like using it.

I guess I just don't see why they would have that feature end the call when the screen is off. To me if the screen is off it is more logical that the sleep button wakes the device, and then a second press would end the call (if desired). At the very least I can't see why "don't end call if screen is off" is not a sub-option.

So in the end I had to turn that feature off, which means I can only end the call using the screen.

Michael

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
To disable it, open it and goto its settings (three dots on a lot of devices) and there is an on off toggle.

I don't know of a way to get it not to pop up on a long home press. I think it's like Siri in that aspect of stuff still happens.(voice control).

Ah i did that allready but since i was getting the pop up i though i didnt :) thanks anyway mate.

Any suggestion to wich app/tweak to install to have better use of the notification light ? I will like to setup for phone calls/missed calls, sms etc if its possible; atm only seen the option on whatsapp and twitter.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
A few other observations after using my Nexus 4 as my primary phone for the last 3 weeks. This would be compared to my iPhone 4S, as I never went for the 5.

One thing that is standing out to me is screen brightness, or rather viewability in bright sun or daylight. Clearly my iPhone 4S is brighter outdoors. Both are set to auto brightness but the 4S is still easy to see where the N4 is a struggle (Arizona).

I can crank the brightness up manually on the Nexus 4 but it doesn't really "pop" anywhere close to my 4S unless I go to 75%-100%. If I forced my 4S that high it is even brighter. Also, the brightness at 100% really kills the batter, obviously.

But still, the iPhone 4S definitely seems to crank up the brightness better in bright light. Why doesn't the N4? If the screen is barely readable in blazing sun, yet is readable at 100%, why isn't it going to 100%? And if it is going to be conservative in auto mode why not give me a range of preferences? I am not in the sun that much where I would mind if it cranked it up higher when needed. To be clear, when you set the display on the N4 to auto it does not matter what you had it set to before: it always uses the same setting for auto. The iPhone is the same but it is more aggressive in turning up the brightness.

While I am at it screen brightness would not be as big a deal if the OS wasn't so danged dark-looking. My N4 has a backlit LCD, not AMOLED so having black screens only hurts me. Heck I could say, since the light blocked by the shaded LCDs to create black is absorbed, that it only makes the device warmer and is a waste of power. My LCD lamp runs all the time, why is it covered up so much by using black? If Android wants to cater to AMOLED displays it should also have a "backlit LCD" setting that is much whiter. IMO of course.

Next up is the phone app. From a company that started as a search engine, I am kind of shocked how brain-dead searching is when trying to make a simple phone call. It searches only if you type the first characters correctly? Seriously?? I am shocked and annoyed as heck by that. If I want to call Little Lin's Chinese I had damned well search by Little not Lin's because the latter will not be found. Unless I use the completely-different looking People app? WTF?

Speaking of searching, I miss Spotlight. It was my go-to search screen on iOS. And I used it a lot, even for launching apps. Google Now does not seem as fast or easy to use. Perhaps I need to get used to it.

Finally, I should note that indoors the screen on my N4 is fine. Looks very pleasing to the eye without being garish. It is outdoors that I have an issue.

Michael

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Next up is the phone app. From a company that started as a search engine, I am kind of shocked how brain-dead searching is when trying to make a simple phone call. It searches only if you type the first characters correctly? Seriously?? I am shocked and annoyed as heck by that. If I want to call Little Lin's Chinese I had damned well search by Little not Lin's because the latter will not be found. Unless I use the completely-different looking People app? WTF?

Not sure what's going on for you because I just replicated that same scenarios you discussed using my N4 and had no problem finding contacts whether I searched by first name, last name or one word in a business' name.

Speaking of searching, I miss Spotlight. It was my go-to search screen on iOS. And I used it a lot, even for launching apps. Google Now does not seem as fast or easy to use. Perhaps I need to get used to it.

First, let me say the things that Google Now can do--very cool. Go into the individual settings to customize and you can really dial in it's usefulness.

That being said, I find I don't need/use most of it's functionality (stocks, news, nearby photo spots, travel and flights, for examples) on a regular basis. What I would like are many of the things I used to be able to do with Siri :)eek:). I liked being able to send or read text messages and emails at the single push of a button. When I want a timer set for 5 minutes, I don't want an alarm set for the time 5 minutes from now. I like being able to dictate a reminder, not have an alarm set at a specific time to 'remind me'.

I realize these are only my needs but wouldn't it make a bit more sense to include more basic functionality likely to be used on a day to day basis by more folks and more obscure features (nearby photo spots? really?). Just my $0.02 on what I've noticed so far.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Not sure what's going on for you because I just replicated that same scenarios you discussed using my N4 and had no problem finding contacts whether I searched by first name, last name or one word in a business' name.
You must have a different phone app because the stock one, and I tested this, does not search with anything other than beginning characters.

I have a contact with a business name of Aeroworks. The phone app is incapable of finding it if I type "work."

Try it... I am sure it is not my phone app since it is stock.

Also note I am talking about the phone app... not the People app. The People app, with its glaringly different UI, will find Aeroworks if I type works.

EDIT: OK the phone app for me is stranger than I thought. On some contacts it will search the entire name when searching. Others, only beginning characters. On still others, it won't find them no matter what I type, including beginning characters. Ugh.

First, let me say the things that Google Now can do--very cool. Go into the individual settings to customize and you can really dial in it's usefulness.

That being said, I find I don't need/use most of it's functionality (stocks, news, nearby photo spots, travel and flights, for examples) on a regular basis. What I would like are many of the things I used to be able to do with Siri :)eek:). I liked being able to send or read text messages and emails at the single push of a button. When I want a timer set for 5 minutes, I don't want an alarm set for the time 5 minutes from now. I like being able to dictate a reminder, not have an alarm set at a specific time to 'remind me'.

I realize these are only my needs but wouldn't it make a bit more sense to include more basic functionality likely to be used on a day to day basis by more folks and more obscure features (nearby photo spots? really?). Just my $0.02 on what I've noticed so far.
I think you may have missed what I was saying. I was talking about using Google Now, not for the "Now" aspect but similar to how Spotlight is used on iOS. In fact the aspect of Google Now you are describing actually gets in the way when trying to just search the device for a contact or app (well, it can't really search for apps).

Spotlight on iOS is not co-mingled with Siri as local searches are on Android with Google Now. I find it works better at what it is designed to do. Don't know where I put the NFL app? Go to Spotlight and type NL, if not just N and it shows up. Ditto for an email, contact, appt, just about anything on the device I can find instantly with Safari. Google Now? Not so much.

Michael

Last edited:

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
A few other observations after using my Nexus 4 as my primary phone for the last 3 weeks. This would be compared to my iPhone 4S, as I never went for the 5.

One thing that is standing out to me is screen brightness, or rather viewability in bright sun or daylight. Clearly my iPhone 4S is brighter outdoors. Both are set to auto brightness but the 4S is still easy to see where the N4 is a struggle (Arizona).

I can crank the brightness up manually on the Nexus 4 but it doesn't really "pop" anywhere close to my 4S unless I go to 75%-100%. If I forced my 4S that high it is even brighter. Also, the brightness at 100% really kills the batter, obviously.

But still, the iPhone 4S definitely seems to crank up the brightness better in bright light. Why doesn't the N4? If the screen is barely readable in blazing sun, yet is readable at 100%, why isn't it going to 100%? And if it is going to be conservative in auto mode why not give me a range of preferences? I am not in the sun that much where I would mind if it cranked it up higher when needed. To be clear, when you set the display on the N4 to auto it does not matter what you had it set to before: it always uses the same setting for auto. The iPhone is the same but it is more aggressive in turning up the brightness.

While I am at it screen brightness would not be as big a deal if the OS wasn't so danged dark-looking. My N4 has a backlit LCD, not AMOLED so having black screens only hurts me. Heck I could say, since the light blocked by the shaded LCDs to create black is absorbed, that it only makes the device warmer and is a waste of power. My LCD lamp runs all the time, why is it covered up so much by using black? If Android wants to cater to AMOLED displays it should also have a "backlit LCD" setting that is much whiter. IMO of course.

Finally, I should note that indoors the screen on my N4 is fine. Looks very pleasing to the eye without being garish. It is outdoors that I have an issue.

Michael

The google search bar works just like spot light. Right? I used it to search my phone. Maybe you meant it wasn't as good.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I turned off Google now because TBH, I don't really use it, standby on this phone is more than good enough for me, screen on time is 2 hrs 16 minutes, so not a power user by any stretch of the imagination, I'm sure if I left it it would go well beyond the 3 day mark but I think I will charge it now.

You must not use your phone much at all to get that kind of battery life.

Dont get me wrong, i wish we were getting that but im not coming close to getting that on any phone ive had and i think my GS3 battery is pretty good while everyone is saying how poor the N4 is.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks, noticed theres a free ("lite"?) version, will it work for me or should i go for the paid one anyway ?

Im probably too late with this reply but id get the lite version first. I got the paid version and Lightflow really drains my battery. I dont see why since it is just a LED notification and i dont even have it blinking, but it does. Even after an update that says they fixed it. So, ....i dont use it. It only costs a few bucks but still.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
You must have a different phone app because the stock one, and I tested this, does not search with anything other than beginning characters.

I have a contact with a business name of Aeroworks. The phone app is incapable of finding it if I type "work."

Try it... I am sure it is not my phone app since it is stock.

Also note I am talking about the phone app... not the People app. The People app, with its glaringly different UI, will find Aeroworks if I type works.

EDIT: OK the phone app for me is stranger than I thought. On some contacts it will search the entire name when searching. Others, only beginning characters. On still others, it won't find them no matter what I type, including beginning characters. Ugh.

First, not using the people app, did the searches right in the stock phone app. And yes, it will not locate a name if you search using an interior part of a word (i.e. works in your example). But neither will searching like that in iOS--just tried it in both and it doesn't work in either. As long as I include the initial letters of one of the names in the contact, it'll find it. So it might be a pet peeve of yours but it's not Android specific.

I think you may have missed what I was saying. I was talking about using Google Now, not for the "Now" aspect but similar to how Spotlight is used on iOS. In fact the aspect of Google Now you are describing actually gets in the way when trying to just search the device for a contact or app (well, it can't really search for apps).

Spotlight on iOS is not co-mingled with Siri as local searches are on Android with Google Now. I find it works better at what it is designed to do. Don't know where I put the NFL app? Go to Spotlight and type NL, if not just N and it shows up. Ditto for an email, contact, appt, just about anything on the device I can find instantly with Safari. Google Now? Not so much.

Michael

My mistake for not clarifying my remarks--really wasn't responding to yours but just adding some observations regarding my experience with Google Now. My bad.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Battery life has definitely gotten much better these past couple of days. I think the first few days the battery was just "warming up" and I was probably playing with it too much. Now that I'm more settled into my usual phone-usage routine, and now that the battery has worked out a little, I'm quite pleased.

Still can't wait for Google's .2 update.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
First, not using the people app, did the searches right in the stock phone app. And yes, it will not locate a name if you search using an interior part of a word (i.e. works in your example). But neither will searching like that in iOS--just tried it in both and it doesn't work in either. As long as I include the initial letters of one of the names in the contact, it'll find it. So it might be a pet peeve of yours but it's not Android specific.
I'm sorry but phone app on iOS most certainly searches globally. If I want to call Aero-Works typing works will find it.

Michael

Attachments

• photo-2.PNG
    photo-2.PNG
    140.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It is a little weird the Dialer won't search the same contact list the way People does. Definitely a bit of a disconnect.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I'm sorry but phone app on iOS most certainly searches globally. If I want to call Aero-Works typing works will find it.

Michael

I asked Google now to call Aero Works in Arizona and it brought up a place in Queen Creek , AZ near Phoenix and was loading it up to call til i stopped it. Is that the correct place? I dont know what town your in so i just said Arizona.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
You must not use your phone much at all to get that kind of battery life.

Dont get me wrong, i wish we were getting that but im not coming close to getting that on any phone ive had and i think my GS3 battery is pretty good while everyone is saying how poor the N4 is.

You are completely right, I don't need to use it much at work, I had the screen on for over 2 hours but admittedly it wasn't intensive use (you tube, videos etc) I was more interested in the standby time because I wanted to see how long it would last without a charge for the odd occasion that I wasnt anywhere near power for any length of time. I too get god bty with my S3.:D

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Finally got my nexus 4. Everything is so different even coming from an S3. Hope I can get used to the switch quickly or I might go back to the S3. I will say that this phone is ridiculously fast so far and I'm liking that much. I'll report back when I have more time with this phone.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Finally got my nexus 4. Everything is so different even coming from an S3. Hope I can get used to the switch quickly or I might go back to the S3. I will say that this phone is ridiculously fast so far and I'm liking that much. I'll report back when I have more time with this phone.

was the s3 your first android phone? I find that most people really like what samsung did with that phone and miss the added features when they try pure android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.